The Student Room Group

Advice after a bad year doing maths at Cambridge-switch tripos/transfer uni?

Hi all,
I've just finished my first year doing maths at Cambridge and am not happy with how its gone. I feel I struggled from the start with the difficulty of the maths- in January I was convinced I wanted to leave and went to my tutor, but then chose to stick it out to see how the first year went. I went to speak to my DOS numerous times with worries about how well I was doing and she seemed to convince me I was doing ok. We had a mock exam after coming back from Easter and I was told I'd got a high 2.2 which could be improved to a 2.1 for the real end-of-year exams. Turns out I got a third in the exams. I'm so annoyed because I've worked incredibly hard all year and with revision and I personally felt like I'd done a lot better in the real exams than in the mock.

I really don't know what to do now- I've lost all faith that my DOS is able to monitor and advise us, I can't say I've really enjoyed the subject this year but that might be purely because I've struggled with it so much and got very little support. Now I don't know whether to try to change tripos (to physics, natural sciences-I might have made a mistake not doing this course in the first place!) or to attempt to transfer into the second (or even first) year doing maths at another uni (I'm considering contacting Imperial, Bristol, Warwick and Manchester for info on this...)

Basically I'm just after some advice- has anyone been in a similar situation/know someone that has? Has anyone stuck out their course after doing badly in the first year and been successful in the end? I just don't want to be working this hard and come out of it all with a bad degree!

Thanks for any help whatsoever, and sorry this has been a bit of an essay :P

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'll probably get criticised for saying this, but I think we do get a bit of a raw deal here since many who get a 2.2 or third would probably get a decent 2.1 at another top university. A friend of mine got a third in her first year here - she then switched to Manchester University and went on to get a (strong) first class. She said the volume and complexity of the workload didn't even compare.

If you're happy here - i.e. enjoy college life, have made good friends etc. then I'd consider switching subjects if there is something else you are keen on. If not, then perhaps moving to a different university would be the best idea.

In terms of Maths, it might reassure you to know that somebody in my college also got a third in her first year exams, but she got a 2.1 in second year (unfortunately dropping to a 2.2 for finals). Have you told your DoS that you feel like you are getting little support? They may be able to help you with some extra guidance or supervisions for next year, to get you back on track.
Reply 2
Hiya- thanks for replying! That's really helpful. I have to say I am feeling it's a bit unfair- never wanted to believe it but it is so frustrating to speak to friends that didn't get into cambridge because of STEP but are coming out with firsts and 2.1s from places like Warwick, Imperial... I don't mind ultimately getting a 2.2, but just not a third- I can't shake the feeling that employers will look at grade over institution? Unless anyone can say otherwise??

Just wondering how easy it was for your friend to switch to Manchester?? Did she go straight into the second year or reapply through UCAS? And the girl you know that got a third- do you know if she felt she'd also done her best that year? It would be really encouraging if she was able to come back from that! I think a few of the other mathmos at my college have also ended up with bad results but they seem to have more 'natural talent' and were more working on the approach of just doing well enough to still be here next year... so it's quite hard to directly compare!

I'm contacting my DoS tomorrow hopefully, just really wanted some idea about what to do next before I spoke to her. I've found she's nice and sympathetic but just has an incredibly laid-back attitude when it comes to the course and practically made me feel like I was exaggerating when I kept going to her with problems! I'll definitely be more upfront from now on. I'm doubtful how helpful extra classes would be, at least with the same supervisors, but I'll definitely consider it.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the advice :biggrin:
Reply 3
Xavikadavi
Hiya- thanks for replying! That's really helpful. I have to say I am feeling it's a bit unfair- never wanted to believe it but it is so frustrating to speak to friends that didn't get into cambridge because of STEP but are coming out with firsts and 2.1s from places like Warwick, Imperial... I don't mind ultimately getting a 2.2, but just not a third- I can't shake the feeling that employers will look at grade over institution? Unless anyone can say otherwise??

Just wondering how easy it was for your friend to switch to Manchester?? Did she go straight into the second year or reapply through UCAS? And the girl you know that got a third- do you know if she felt she'd also done her best that year? It would be really encouraging if she was able to come back from that! I think a few of the other mathmos at my college have also ended up with bad results but they seem to have more 'natural talent' and were more working on the approach of just doing well enough to still be here next year... so it's quite hard to directly compare!

I'm contacting my DoS tomorrow hopefully, just really wanted some idea about what to do next before I spoke to her. I've found she's nice and sympathetic but just has an incredibly laid-back attitude when it comes to the course and practically made me feel like I was exaggerating when I kept going to her with problems! I'll definitely be more upfront from now on. I'm doubtful how helpful extra classes would be, at least with the same supervisors, but I'll definitely consider it.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the advice :biggrin:

Dude, don't shy away from the challenge of math at Cambridge.

Go to your DoS and don't leave until you've planned extra supervisions for next year. Go over first year material this summer to ground yourself.

You just need more support and you need to assume responsibility over your learning, not your DoS or supervisors - they are, however, at your disposal. I'm sure there's a few concepts you didn't fully grasp at the beginning of the course, and with math being procedural, more and more concepts where built upon a shaky foundation - hence the challenging first year.
Reply 4
jcb914
I'll probably get criticised for saying this, but I think we do get a bit of a raw deal here since many who get a 2.2 or third would probably get a decent 2.1 at another top university. A friend of mine got a third in her first year here - she then switched to Manchester University and went on to get a (strong) first class. She said the volume and complexity of the workload didn't even compare.

If you're happy here - i.e. enjoy college life, have made good friends etc. then I'd consider switching subjects if there is something else you are keen on. If not, then perhaps moving to a different university would be the best idea.

In terms of Maths, it might reassure you to know that somebody in my college also got a third in her first year exams, but she got a 2.1 in second year (unfortunately dropping to a 2.2 for finals). Have you told your DoS that you feel like you are getting little support? They may be able to help you with some extra guidance or supervisions for next year, to get you back on track.

En contraire, I would say that this is very true. Mathmos I've talked to say that the courses in other universities, including American ones, don't really match up with the sheer volume of the Cambridge Maths Tripos.

@OP: What A-levels did you take?
PKA
En contraire, this could not be further from the truth. Mathmos I've talked to say that the courses in other universities, including American ones, don't really match up with the sheer volume of the Cambridge Maths Tripos.

I think you are both actually agreeing with each other.
Reply 6
thecityscape
I think you are both actually agreeing with each other.

Indeed, that was a slight fail of grammar on my part. I was in fact agreeing with the poster xD
Reply 7
2:2 from Cambridge is worth more than a 1st from most other unis..
stick with it!!!
remember 1000s of people would love to be in your shoes..
good luck!!
Reply 8
andy786
stick with it!!!
remember 1000s of people would love to be in your shoes..
good luck!!

no.

OP: If you found first year a really tough slog you might want to ask yourself why. If it's because you didn't do enough/any of the topics you wanted to then in 2nd year there's a bit more choice so you can choose to do more of the stuff which interests you.

If on the other hand it was just because everything was incredibly hard then yeah, switching tripos (it's not out of the question to switch to something pretty unrelated [someone from my college is trying to switch into ASNaC of all things]) might be an option, although generally you need a 2.i to switch into something else (but have a talk with the respective DoS's, they're the ones responsible after all).

Transferring is pretty last resort.
Reply 9
around
no.

hahaha..
dont be jealous mate..
i am not from oxbridge either but the a second from there is a lot more worth than a first from some other uni...
people would die to be in her shoes..
Reply 10
[QUOTE="andy786"]
around
no.

hahaha..
dont be jealous mate..
i am not from oxbridge either but the a second from there is a lot more worth than a first from some other uni...

...who cares about other ppl? The OP is unhappy in her course at her uni. Other ppl's awe isn't going to makie her feel better!
Reply 11
[QUOTE="aaloo"]
andy786

...who cares about other ppl? The OP is unhappy in her course at her uni. Other ppl's awe isn't going to makie her feel better!

well, i am just trying to tell her how lucky she is to be in cambridge and the hard work will pay off in the long run..
sorry your highness!!
Reply 12
andy786

well, i am just trying to tell her how lucky she is to be in cambridge and the hard work will pay off in the long run..
sorry your highness!!

well she is lucky but i don't think she'll look back with pride or happiness if she graduates with a 2:2 from camb when she already feels bad about the whole thing!
Reply 13
andy786
hahaha..
dont be jealous mate..

I am at Cambridge.
Reply 14
around
I am at Cambridge.

pwnt.
Reply 15
around
I am at Cambridge.

lol.
you win!
i take it all back,,,
good day!
Reply 16
Ok firstly whether you enjoy Cambridge or not is a BIG question. If you think you'd be happier somewhere else (and not just with respect to work) then transferring may be the best thing for you.

Re switching: See what you're mark breakdown is like, a lot of people who didn't get on very well with first year because it was too pure really like second year as you can focus almost totally on applied. Did you do IA NST physics this year? If not switching into physics is a challenge but doable (speaking form experience of half of the NST IB physics course) but maybe astrophysics would be your thing, you can switch after IB maths. Also you could swap to something completely different, but whether or not a subject will take you will almost certainly be down to the DoS in that subject.

I was in a very similar position last year, feel free to PM me if you'd like me to be more specific on any thing (and sorry for the mind dump).
Reply 17
I think I'm right in saying that a lot of first year maths and science subjects are graded in terms of norm marking - i'e a certain percentage have to get firsts, and a set percentage have to get thirds, etc. This rather ridiculous practice is dropped for the Part 2 exams, and criteria marking takes over, so more people can get the higher grades in later years. This is definitely true of Natsci, so it might be the case in maths as well. Someone please correct me if I've got this wrong.
Reply 18
Galatea
I think I'm right in saying that a lot of first year maths and science subjects are graded in terms of norm marking - i'e a certain percentage have to get firsts, and a set percentage have to get thirds, etc. This rather ridiculous practice is dropped for the Part 2 exams, and criteria marking takes over, so more people can get the higher grades in later years. This is definitely true of Natsci, so it might be the case in maths as well. Someone please correct me if I've got this wrong.

Yes there are quoters, but they aim for very few thirds, it's normally of the order 30,40,30.
Reply 19
Hey guys! Thanks a lot for all the comments. Firstly I know I need to talk to my DoS before I can do anything else, just haven't been able to make contact with her yet- some incessant phoning is planned for tomorrow!

popman
Dude, don't shy away from the challenge of math at Cambridge.

Go to your DoS and don't leave until you've planned extra supervisions for next year. Go over first year material this summer to ground yourself.

You just need more support and you need to assume responsibility over your learning, not your DoS or supervisors - they are, however, at your disposal. I'm sure there's a few concepts you didn't fully grasp at the beginning of the course, and with math being procedural, more and more concepts where built upon a shaky foundation - hence the challenging first year.

I'm definitely not giving up, just trying to be realistic here - maths builds on previous knowledge like you say so surely it's only going to get a lot worse next year? Considering I really felt I was improving in the last term and was getting on top of it, then still got a third, just makes me wonder if I'm capable of getting a 2.1. And if I can't I feel I should get out now! + what's frustrating is I felt I knew the theory just kept getting stuck in qs too early on to be able to show what I knew - would extra classes be beneficial in this case?

smilepea
Ok firstly whether you enjoy Cambridge or not is a BIG question. If you think you'd be happier somewhere else (and not just with respect to work) then transferring may be the best thing for you.

Re switching: See what you're mark breakdown is like, a lot of people who didn't get on very well with first year because it was too pure really like second year as you can focus almost totally on applied. Did you do IA NST physics this year? If not switching into physics is a challenge but doable (speaking form experience of half of the NST IB physics course) but maybe astrophysics would be your thing, you can switch after IB maths. Also you could swap to something completely different, but whether or not a subject will take you will almost certainly be down to the DoS in that subject.

I was in a very similar position last year, feel free to PM me if you'd like me to be more specific on any thing (and sorry for the mind dump).

Have to say I'm not the biggest fan of life at Cambridge and probably would have been a lot happier somewhere else, but if moving's not really an option I just want to do what's gonna be best for me employment-wise now :frown:

What you say about the pure/applied side makes a lot of sense - for final revision I focused on my strongest topic for each paper which in every case was the applied one- I've found these so much more managable over the year (hence why I thought maybe I should be on the natsci course doing physics :wink:. I found pure impossible- esp. groups and analysis. So in the exams I usually ended up answering as many applied qs as possible with very few, if any, pure ones. I don't know whether this just meant I didn't answer enough qs or the ones I did do were completely wrong- like you said the mark breakdown'll be handy. My DoS was meant to email that to us today...

So anyway, my question would be is it feasible to focus completely on applied in the 2nd year?? That wouldn't disadvantage you in the exams? My only worry from doing the papers this year is that, while the applied qs were 'easier', they seemed a hell of a lot longer -is that always generally the case? I asked my DoS all of this but she said a bit generically that it's best to do both pure and applied, and question length is just luck of the draw.

Switching tripos: Didn't do any physics modules this year - I realise i should've done now. Would it be incredibly hard to join in the second year? I'm seeing this as a risky option now.

Transferring uni -From the replies i've got so far it seems most unis just don't accept transfers at all or need a better grade so this is looking less likely... Does anyone know of any ones that do take people into the second year for maths??

andy786
stick with it!!!

Not sure employer-wise. I know a lot of companies in the city ask for minimum 2.1 degree and won't consider you otherwise. I was at a PwC open day today and got told that basically the university and subject don't really matter- what's important is the grade. Specifically, I wouldn't get further than the application stage even if i had a cambridge 2.2 in maths. I would LOVE for this not to be true on the whole with employers- please contradict me!!

[QUOTE="aaloo"]
andy786

You're fantastic :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending