The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
but i think you should also see the bright side of livin in a small town, such as enjoying the tranquility of nature and intimate bonds with your parents and your siblings:smile:
I'd hate it. Would be so boring. I live in Newcastle atm. I went to visit one of my friends who lived in a little town down south called Lambourn, I don't know if you guys have heard of it. It's like Emmerdale, everyone seems to know everyone. It's crazy. And their highstreet has like 4 shops or something :eek:
I live in a small town and I love it :biggrin:

We're stuck in the past. Suits me fine, I can't cope with this 21st century nonsense. iWhat-now?
Reply 43
jblackmoustache
I'm not even talking about a small rural village either. Imagine a medium ex mining town in Yorkshire.

a.k.a bradford/rotherham?
lesbionic
a.k.a bradford/rotherham?

Bradford's a city, but it's more like a big town. Same with Sheffield.
Reply 45
jblackmoustache
Bradford's a city, but it's more like a big town. Same with Sheffield.

No, I think you're wrong.

I went for dinner in Bradford a few weeks ago, it's a large town.
Reply 46
If your a small town boy living in a lonely world I can imagine why.
Drunk Punx
You make a valid point; what if you were just a small town girl, living in a lonely world?
I guess you could take the midnight train, I hear it heads anywhere...

It's certainly a lot different from being a city boy, born and raised in south Detroit.
Although he could also take that midnight train, heading anywhere. :moon:
jblackmoustache
One thing that really bothers me is that everyone knows everyone. My night out round my home town made me realise this even more and it's pretty depressing.

Every person you meet is connected in a way to someone you already know and they're stuck in a close circle that can't be penetrated (the small town mentality).

Even the nightclubs are full of people I know from school, people from work, people I've already seen on the street, people who know people I used to work with, family, etc. Even the girls you want to approach probably know your ex or one of your friends in some way. They recognise me from my old crap job (needed the dosh while I was on my year placement) that I quit and now i'm 'that guy from Primark'. I just can't stand living in a small town. Am I alone on this?

I'm not even talking about a small rural village either. Imagine a medium ex mining town in Yorkshire.

i did live in a small town moved from the west of ireland when i was twenty

now im 28 and id go back in a heart beat - the big city just isnt what its cracked up to be and to be honest the quality of life in Ireland dicks all over the one on england,
Reply 49
Aphotic Cosmos
I live in a small-ish (60,000) market town and it's pretty nice, but it does get dull quickly.

60,000 is not a small town in my book. :nah:
Try 8,000. Or less.

Last coalmine shut in 60's. Not even in the north, so we can't fall back on that stereotype either. It's dull. :sleep:

Only place to escape? bus 30/31 to Gloucester. Ever been to the complete dump that is Gloucester? Not much of an escape. And I suppose I have it good compared to some places 'oop north' or down the valleys :frown:
I live in a fairly small town, though it is 30,000 people. Although most of them are over 65... it's basically a giant retirement home. :/
It's DULL. And it takes forever to get anywhere else from here.
Reply 51
i live in a small town and although it has a lot of issues i liek the fact that everyone is friendly, they all know each other and there is a real community

my town is pretty mental as well and full of crazy people which makes it fun

finding people similar to me is pretty difficult however and i dont tend to go out that much when im at home :s:

oh and people who are say around 30 000 is small wtf? try about 6000 less than 10000 at the most!
Reply 52
I'm not sure, because I've always lived in a major cities but I think I could. It would definately make a change to what I am used to.
It's pretty boring living in a small town. Where I live has a population of about 9000, and even when I'm walking down my lane to get to the main road I'll see at least 5 or 6 people I know. The village shop is where everyone congregates (people will be in there for over an hour gossiping) and the other "convenience" shop shuts at 5, just as people get home from work. 2 buses an hour into Manchester city centre... oh, and we've got a nursing home and a library. So depressing sometimes, but I love going into Manchester or another big city and coming home, I love the contrast.

Most times I just can't wait to escape.
Reply 54
I live in a reasonably small town at the moment, and I'm going somewhere with an even smaller town when I go to university. I can't deal with living in a big city, I just like living somewhere small that's within a reasonable distance to a big city, and then you've got the best of both worlds.
I suppose it could be a bit lonely and depressing, but as long as they are good people who you get along with well, I'd be fine. I'd quite like the peace and quiet and community spirit.
Personally I prefer big cities as well, more stuff to do.
Yeah from small town where everyone knows everyone....I'm going to leave in a years time because it's boring and the people are a bit inbred.
Eleanor13
60,000 is not a small town in my book. :nah:
Try 8,000. Or less.

Last coalmine shut in 60's. Not even in the north, so we can't fall back on that stereotype either. It's dull. :sleep:

Only place to escape? bus 30/31 to Gloucester. Ever been to the complete dump that is Gloucester? Not much of an escape. And I suppose I have it good compared to some places 'oop north' or down the valleys :frown:

This really. Next place to go after Gloucester is Swindon and well... yeah :s-smilie: Ah the joys of the Cotswolds...
Reply 59
I HATE IT! As well!

You think you're towns are small! Try living in little villages and also the nearest "big" town has 2000 people in it! That is a "big" town round my area! ARGHH!

I mean, you even put off going to the shops, or just going for a walk because you know you will bump into someone, and I just can't be bothered to speak to any of them because I don't like any of them!

I can't wait to **** off into the city, when I lived in a built up area in Spain I loved the anonymous feeling you have, you feel you can do anything you want and live life without worrying what other people are thinking.

It just sounds so bad, but trust me all you city people....if you lived in a small town even just popping into your local co-op is a chore! You make any excuse not to go "into town"! And it is sad living life that way....you should be able to feel free!

Latest

Trending

Trending