The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Manitude
AS Further Maths: FP1, FP2 and one application. It will either be M1/S1/M2 depending on how EDEXCEL play with my results to give me grades.

FP1 is not particularly hard, although induction is a pain.
FP2 can be horrible though, but give it enough time then it should start to make sense (once you understand something, the questions are easy, that's how maths is)

Blasphemy! proof by induction is one of the most beatiful and wonderful things in the known universe!
Reply 41
Avocadoade
Blasphemy! proof by induction is one of the most beatiful and wonderful things in the known universe!

By "pain" I mean more along the lines of I understand it and can follow it in the textbook perfectly well, but when it comes to actually DOING it I rarely suceed.

I'd say these image are more beautiful and wonderful though:

Spoiler

I'm a physicist at heart, I just do maths for kicks :wink:
Manitude
By "pain" I mean more along the lines of I understand it and can follow it in the textbook perfectly well, but when it comes to actually DOING it I rarely suceed.

I'd say these image are more beautiful and wonderful though:

Spoiler

I'm a physicist at heart, I just do maths for kicks :wink:

pah! Physicists! I bet you even understand what a reverse heat engine is...
Reply 43
Avocadoade
pah! Physicists! I bet you even understand what a reverse heat engine is...

After attempting to read a book on thermodynamics written by a professor of chemistry I decided that anything to do with heat or engines is not for me.

He somehow managed to take a fascinating subject from physics and try to explain it like a chemist and the result was an utterly boring book. I got up the the second law too, which is imo the most interesting.
But halfway through the chapter the word "entropy" hadn't been mentioned yet and there wasn't much hope of an interesting discussion of the effect of entropy on the universe as a whole either.
Manitude
After attempting to read a book on thermodynamics written by a professor of chemistry I decided that anything to do with heat or engines is not for me.

He somehow managed to take a fascinating subject from physics and try to explain it like a chemist and the result was an utterly boring book. I got up the the second law too, which is imo the most interesting.
But halfway through the chapter the word "entropy" hadn't been mentioned yet and there wasn't much hope of an interesting discussion of the effect of entropy on the universe as a whole either.

I'm with you all the way on chemistry. There's a lot of thermodynamics in my course and they manage to kill it so effectively.
Reply 45
Edexcel, Maths was C1 C2 C3 C4 M1 S1
Further Maths FP1 FP2 M2 M3 S2 S3
Additional Further Maths (AS) M4 S4 D1
Obviously the modules will be juggled to get the best in maths, then FM, then additional...

As far as FM is concerned, FP1 and FP2 were fine; the stats easier than the mechanics. (Much easier!) Even though I am off to do physics at uni!
pacelweb
Edexcel, Maths was C1 C2 C3 C4 M1 S1
Further Maths FP1 FP2 M2 M3 S2 S3
Additional Further Maths (AS) M4 S4 D1
Obviously the modules will be juggled to get the best in maths, then FM, then additional...

As far as FM is concerned, FP1 and FP2 were fine; the stats easier than the mechanics. (Much easier!) Even though I am off to do physics at uni!

LOL!
I found the mechanics far easier than the stats ...
And I'm off to do maths & stats!

Wanna trade? :sexface:
OCR MEI - AS: FP1, NM, D1 - A2: FP2, FP3, D2

The pure modules are fantastic! I really liked FP2 more than any, even though everyone else says it's the hardest.. (It really isn't :P) The other three modules are pretty tedious, especially Numerical Methods :/
Reply 48
P1 through to P6. M1, 2 & 3. S1 & S2 and D1. Obviously you young 'uns have it easy, back in the day we did real further maths modules.
intellectual1
Which units did you study for Further Mathematics?
Which units did you find hardest and easiest?

C1 C2 C3 C4 and two from any combination from S1 M1, D1, S1, M1 D1, S1 S2, M1 M2 or D1 D2 is required for A-Level Mathematics.

Which units did you study for Further Mathematics?

FP1 and FP2?
FP1 and FP3?
FP1, FP2 and FP3?

Was Further Maths a huge step up in comparison with C3 and C4?

Taught FP1,FP2,M3,M4,M5 and part of FP3.
Taught myself D1,S1 and S2.

FP1is far easier than C4, and easier than C3. FP2 is easier than c4 (while your doing it) but harder than c3.
S1 is comparable with m2, s2 is easier than s1. D1 is easier than s1. But harder than s2.
M3 is about c4 level, m4 is harder than m3 and m5 is about the same as m4.

Different modules are hard to compare though because things which seem hard when you do them first, become easy in later modules where they Are taken for granted.

It also depends on what else you are doing, if you cant stand physics you may find the mechanics modules harder
Reply 50
you forgot to put numberical methods or numberical comutation, or differential equations. Even theough i only studied numerical methods out of them, they should all be there
Fp1 Fp2 Fp3 (on Monday) M1 M2 D1 (wanted to to do M3 but meh). Normal maths was S1 S2
jk1986
P1 through to P6. M1, 2 & 3. S1 & S2 and D1. Obviously you young 'uns have it easy, back in the day we did real further maths modules.

Wow you must be old... Though I am slightly jealous you got to do M3 :frown:
I'm doing CIE further maths. p2 p3 s2 m3 and some other **** i don't remember
firingsquad
My question is:

What do you want from further maths?

(i) A piece of paper to flash around to uni's
(ii) A chance to advance your maths understand/pleasure

I think the biggest cop out would be FP1/S1/D1 for thise who are either doing mechanics or sitting with another board.

Challenge wise, The FP units and the A2 applied ones

Both, but mainly (i)
Reply 55
i did FP1, FP2, S1, S2,M3, NM, D1(completely optional) and M2(with normal maths, but it will likely be counted twords my F-maths a-level)

D1, and NM were my most enjoyed modules TBH, the rest were nice but didn't feel as applicable to the world, or as immidietly useful, NM did make me way more anal that I ever wanted though :s-smilie:
Beenman500
you forgot to put numberical methods or numberical comutation, or differential equations. Even theough i only studied numerical methods out of them, they should all be there

They're MEI only - high five for doing MEI by the way!
And we unfortunately don't have an FP4 or M5 like others :frown:
you missed one :P FP4, thats what we're starting for our A level, matrices everywhere :s-smilie:
other than that, so far done fp1, m1 and m2 for further :biggrin:
Reply 58
FP1 at the same time as C1 was tricky, easy now though. D2 and M1, which were both easy. FP3 was pretty hard, definately the hardest Further Maths unit I've done. M2 and M3, which both weren't bad!
sammyboy289
you missed one :P FP4, thats what we're starting for our A level, matrices everywhere :s-smilie:
other than that, so far done fp1, m1 and m2 for further :biggrin:

FP4? that must be with CIE or OCR MEI :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending