The Student Room Group

Sexy TSRian AQA Biologists... Which essay did you pick & what points did you include?

Question is pretty much in title. :smile:

Also, state in the thread how you found the paper. :yes:

Personal:

Good/normal paper - apart from annoying and stupid wolf question lol.

CO2 Essay :woo:

Introduction - effects of CO2, animals, plants, microorganisms.

* Photosynthesis - fixes CO2, produces glucose and other organic malarkey: LIR, enzyme-controlled, described process and stated equation.

* Respiration - uses organic malarkey and produces CO2.

* Haemoglobin - Bohr effect, CO2 causes Hb to change shape, releases O2 in respiring tissue, curve shifts to right.

* Chemoreceptors - detect changes in CO2: process, balance, form of negative feedback.

* Global warming - fossil fuels, deforestation: both human impact - affect abiotic and biotic e.g. habitats and extinction of organisms.

* Gas exchange - Lungs in animals + adaptions, stomata in plants + adaptions, microorganisms use CO2 for respiration to decompose.

Summary - summing it all up, innit. :gangster:

Share your thoughts and feelings on the paper - most specifically the essay since there's already another thread for "answer discussion".

Thanks. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Good paper.
Disease essay.
What I wrote about:

Genetic diseases - Diabetes, Cystic Fibrosis, Dominant/Recessive alleles

Lifestyle - Cancer, Tendonitis, Coronary Heart Disease, Emphysema

Pathogens - How they spread (Droplets, STD, Cuts/Wounds, bites (dog/mosquito), etc.), how they affect the body (e.g. viruses invade cells, bacteria release toxins), examples (MRSA, Cholera, Athlete's Foot).

Reply 2
CO2

Greenhouse effect
Global warming
Changes in nice/habitats/food resources/predator prey relationships
Flooding/ Timings of Seasons/ Harvests
Photosynthesis
Respiration
Haemoglobin/Bohr effect
Fossil fuels/deforestation

Loved the essay.
Reply 3
NothingOriginal...
Disease
-cystic fibrosis
-cancer
-heart disease
-lung disease
-cholera
-(Irrelevant point i know but, hyperthermia)

Had lots of time for it though :smile:

It contributes to Typhoid.

Good luck. :smile:
CO2
Carbon cycle
Photosynthesis
Respiration
Greenhouse effect/global warming & effects bla bla bla
Acid rain - not really relevant but thought I'd include something off syllabus
How CO2 increases blood pH, detected by chemoreceptors, decreases heart rate etc. etc.

I wrote 2 and a half pages, which although probably seems small for most people was really good for me cos I'm AWFUL at essays!
Was pleased with the titles tho - but would still have preferred 'Cycles in Biology' or something on proteins.
Reply 5
moh2009
CO2

Greenhouse effect
Global warming
Changes in nice/habitats/food resources/predator prey relationships
Flooding/ Timings of Seasons/ Harvests
Photosynthesis
Respiration
Haemoglobin/Bohr effect
Fossil fuels/deforestation

Loved the essay.

You sexy mofo. :perv:

I'll edit mine but it was similar to yours.

:five:
im so peeeed off ryt nw
i just flipped the essay
X(
If only I did some AS revision as well
X'(
hmm... it would appear mine was less detailed than everyone elses... nevermind not the end of the world :smile:
chernij
Good paper.
Disease essay.
What I wrote about:

Pathogens - How they spread (Droplets, STD, Cuts/Wounds, bites (dog/mosquito), etc.), how they affect the body (e.g. viruses invade cells, bacteria release toxins), examples (MRSA, Cholera, Athlete's Foot).

Wrote basically the same :smile:
aint we sexy...

diseases - focuses on splitting it into environmental and genetic causes

1. viruses (very gcse, was rubbish :frown: )
2. bacteria (again, my explaination was v basic)
3. CHD and other heart diseases stuffs, atheroma etc, risk factors
4. lung disease. big mistake. mixed up emphsema and fibrosis...
5. cancer. awesomeage! how mutations cause it, envorinmental factors like mutagenic agents, genetics, oestrogen dependant breast tumours...
6. Genetic diseases. quite brief... genetic corss diagrams to show how it can be carried and inherited

any predictions on what ill get? :P
Reply 10
Basiacally the same as the OP but I forgot all about the bohr effect and I talked a bit about the carbon cycle and food chains.
Reply 11
The cause of disease one: said basically caused by pathogens:
talked about bacterial conjucation against antibiotics, mrsa, cholera, bacterial resistance and for viruses, the cold and hiv.
Genetics: recessive dominant alleles, cystic fibrosis
Lifestyle, emphesyma, obesity leading to heart disease.
Then talked about how lifestyle and genetics linked: cancer, mutagenic agents increase changes, protocongene mutations. diabetics, caused by genetics of lifestyle in case two and put an example of recent research from new scientist and polycystic ovary syndrome how caused by genetics (probably) but can be contolled by lifestyle.
Then summarised by giving quick overview of treatments, stem cells etc
Reply 12
chernij
Good paper.
Disease essay.
What I wrote about:

Oh cool I did exactly the same as you except for Tendonitis.
Tam_91
Oh cool I did exactly the same as you except for Tendonitis.

Cool. I only did tendonitis because I have it, so obviously it was fresh in my mind and I had a vague idea about it.
Reply 14
What does global warming have to do with biology??
Reply 15
Bunkd
What does global warming have to do with biology??

Fossil Fuels / Deforestation ---> CO2 ---> Global warming ---> Melt ice craps ---> Sea levels rise ---> Habitats destroyed ---> Animals e.g. polar bears endangered / extinct.

:smile:
Reply 16
*MJ*
Fossil Fuels / Deforestation ---> CO2 ---> Global warming ---> Melt ice craps ---> Sea levels rise ---> Habitats destroyed ---> Animals e.g. polar bears endangered / extinct.

:smile:

Seriously? Was that on your exam?

It's positively indoctrination if it was; environmental nonsense is on literally every subject's syllabus, except maths :love: .
Reply 17
Bunkd
Seriously? Was that on your exam?

It's positively indoctrination if it was; environmental nonsense is on literally every subject's syllabus, except maths :love: .

We had to write a 25 mark essay on either disease or CO2.

I chose CO2 and talked about global warming along side everything else.

But Maths. :love:
Nice paper. I did disease and made many sexy points.
chernij
Cool. I only did tendonitis because I have it, so obviously it was fresh in my mind and I had a vague idea about it.

There have to be some perks to having tendonitis i guess :yes:

Latest

Trending

Trending