The Student Room Group

LAW A level? - please help

Hi,

I want to take Law as a uni course but i have heard that i should not take it as an A-Level. I don't really know why. I have seen Law on the mickey mouse subject list. I am doing Maths, Histor and Chemistry so far, but the problem still remains with the fourth subject. I feel that if i take law as an a-level i will be good at it and i will enjoy it, but then i don't want uni's to be unhappy with me for taking Law. Could you please help me?
Reply 1
Uni's prefer to teach Law from scratch and you seem to have a good balance of subjects there, but I still wouldnt take Law at A Level, what other subjects are you interested in?
Reply 2
Well, from what I've heard they neither see it as an advantage or a disadvantage. I took it and I'm staring my LLB at Bristol .
Reply 3
I say take something like English Language / English Literature... Law is abit too risky in my opinion. The matter of the fact is you won't be descriminated against for not taking Law to at least AS level (as no offer I have seen incorporates 'A' Level Law). On the same token, you won't be at a disadvantage, academically speaking, because most Universities teach Law from scratch (if not all). But in the end just go with a subject you feel you will enjoy, and consequently perform well in. Grades > Subjects.
I had the same experience as you when I was choosing options (but I don't want to do law now anyway haha) but yeah DO NOT take Law for A-level, because it's true universities don't like it, basically because as said earlier, they like to teach it from scratch, and they think Law A-level is just stuff that will get muddled up with the university course and unnecessarily confuse you. They want you take other subjects that show you have other skills and useful ones are (like you're taking) History, English, and well that's it really, perhaps another social science like Politics or Economics. But English is the best forth option for you, in my opinion.
Reply 5
You seem to be worrying too much about something that will make very little difference. Take law if you feel like it, it's hardly as if you'll be rejected on that basis.
Reply 6
If you really want to do Law, and think you can do well in it, then take it because I know many people who went to good law schools who did AS level Law(eg UCL, Manchester). Maybe you can drop it during the second year so if unis didn't like it, they could think "oh but it was only an AS level" or something, lol.
Reply 7
i took law and i am starting my llb at city. i think those four subjects are a good mix. good luck!
Reply 8
hi..i also want to do law in uni..but i m not doin doing law in my AS levels as agin uni usually teach us law frm starting..and i don't think ny advantage of doin AS law

instead of law i m doing
AS History
AS English
AS Psychology...
but i m really finding english hard..
Someone in the year above me took law A level with English and Psychology and got into Oxford, Durham and UCL for law, so taking it evidently doesn't mean an outright rejection...

Latest

Trending

Trending