The Student Room Group

Where does someone Homeschooled get predicted grades from?

Where would someone who is home-schooled get his/her predicted grades from?
I will have a tutor who helps me out once in a while, but I doubt that he is in the position to give me predicted grades for my UCAS form.
Or would I have to wait until after January or even June and apply with my final grades?
I'm 17, starting the final year of Alevels in September independently, don't have GCSEs since I come straight from the swedish education-system.
Answers appreciated! :smile:
Reply 1
D.I.Y job?
I thought home schooled people were normally treated like mature applicants and interviewed and things. Ive definately heard of some of them applying with a portfolio of work that the lecturers looked over to see if they were good enough.
Where will you get your references from? Will you have AS results?
Reply 4
ClaudiaMira
Where would someone who is home-schooled get his/her predicted grades from?
I will have a tutor who helps me out once in a while, but I doubt that he is in the position to give me predicted grades for my UCAS form.
Or would I have to wait until after January or even June and apply with my final grades?
I'm 17, starting the final year of Alevels in September independently, don't have GCSEs since I come straight from the swedish education-system.
Answers appreciated! :smile:

The UCAS process for external students is different to that of students applying through a school & should allow for the fact that predicted grades might not be available

More details can be found in UCAS FAQ's:

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/applying/faqs/
Reply 5
They go to a fortune teller.

Or the Pope. Yeah, the Pope. He predicts their results.
Reply 6
morecambebay
I thought home schooled people were normally treated like mature applicants and interviewed and things. Ive definitely heard of some of them applying with a portfolio of work that the lecturers looked over to see if they were good enough.

Okay, even though I did a lot of research, I havent heard of that. Do you know more about this? Would I have to send in a portfolio instead of my predicted grades? Or would I take it to a lecturer (or college teacher?) before hand, and they would give me predicted grades?

anyone_can_fly
Where will you get your references from? Will you have AS results?

Actually I already completed college here in Sweden, and am just planning to do a few Alevel subjects within one year, so I can go to university in the UK. According to UCAS, anyone who tutors you and knows you can write a reference for you.
draikzer

I don't think that would be possible. The pope wouldn't be qualified to give that sort of advice and it may put certain candidates at an advantage.
Reply 8
thecityscape
I don't think that would be possible. The pope wouldn't be qualified to give that sort of advice and it may put certain candidates at an advantage.

The pope is qualified to do anything. As he is the messenger of God.

Are you racist boy?!
Reply 9
draikzer

YES, thanks, but I was already aware of that. But unfortunately, every fortune teller I call up predicts Ds, so I was just trying to look for other options. And the pope isn't in great condition at the moment, that's why he took a break from dealing with college students. I heard that the german foreign secretary might be able to help me, no clue why, since he doesnt even speak proper english. He must have some connections to the queen...mhh
Reply 10
Why not home school yourself for uni degree as well?
ClaudiaMira
Okay, even though I did a lot of research, I havent heard of that. Do you know more about this? Would I have to send in a portfolio instead of my predicted grades? Or would I take it to a lecturer (or college teacher?) before hand, and they would give me predicted grades.

The people I heard of that had done it had just sent an email to the university explaining that they had been home educated so they didnt have any standard qualifications. The uni asked them to put together some of their work and go for an interview, at the interview the lecturer looked over it and judged wether or not the standard was good enough.

I think it was actually a news article about a group of homeschoolers who had all done it. I dont know though I cant remember.
Reply 12
ClaudiaMira
YES, thanks, but I was already aware of that. But unfortunately, every fortune teller I call up predicts Ds, so I was just trying to look for other options. And the pope isn't in great condition at the moment, that's why he took a break from dealing with college students. I heard that the german foreign secretary might be able to help me, no clue why, since he doesnt even speak proper english. He must have some connections to the queen...mhh

Now you're just being silly...

*Pssst*You should ask a sheep*pssst*
Reply 13
skipp
The UCAS process for external students is different to that of students applying through a school & should allow for the fact that predicted grades might not be available

More details can be found in UCAS FAQ's:

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/applying/faqs/

Should've seen that myself. Thanks.

Latest