The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Two Tone
I haven't tried contacts. Anybody know if people as short sighted as me can wear them?

yes!
Reply 21
giraffe24
yes!

Cool! Have to go and try them out then. I always assumed that I couldn't for some reason, don't know why
Reply 22
XxXmowgliXxX
yes, this is what is often refered to the 10:10:10 rule
It suggests that every 10 mins, you focus on an oject 10-15 feet away for 10-20 seconds

hmm Im pretty sure its not every 10 minutes....I remember its something like every 1 hour? 10 minutes is like nothing......

XxXmowgliXxX
i suggest that you dont wear glasses all the time
try to keep without them if you can
there are many theories which suggest that glasses shouldnt be worn and if you dont wear glasses, its better for your eyes as when you have your glasses on, your eyes are more rigid and less freely moveable, causing more strain, worsening eyesight...
sorry, but I think thats not totally true. Wearing glasses would not affect the movement of your eyes. The only thing it could put stress upon is the muscle(s) surrounding the eye from the weight of the glasses, but this does not inflict on the vision. But having said that, u cud perhaps make yer eyes too reliant upon glasses and therefore not improve them? But I know for a fact that if you didnt wear glasses and u were "trying" to watch TV or read the whiteboard then ull definitely strain your eyes and worsen them!

Wearing contacts may just be the optimum solution?
The computer thing (looking out the window) helps your eyes refocus. Look at the horizon for about 30 seconds every 10 minutes or so.
JohnnyKnox
hmm Im pretty sure its not every 10 minutes....I remember its something like every 1 hour? 10 minutes is like nothing......

sorry, but I think thats not totally true. Wearing glasses would not affect the movement of your eyes. The only thing it could put stress upon is the muscle(s) surrounding the eye from the weight of the glasses, but this does not inflict on the vision. But having said that, u cud perhaps make yer eyes too reliant upon glasses and therefore not improve them? But I know for a fact that if you didnt wear glasses and u were "trying" to watch TV or read the whiteboard then ull definitely strain your eyes and worsen them!

Wearing contacts may just be the optimum solution?

mate i know what im talkig about
i spent 50 quid on stuff to improve eyes and it works (im lazy so i dint bother continuing :frown: )
and contacts can cause serious eye infections and dont give as sharp an image
and they r bad for your eyes as they can give complications for later life when u mite want laser surgery
if you are willing to spend 50 quid and give 30 mins a day, i suggest u try the VISION FOR LIFE program, it works and if it doesnt for you, get your money back in 90 days
Reply 26
XxXmowgliXxX
mate i know what im talkig about
i spent 50 quid on stuff to improve eyes and it works (im lazy so i dint bother continuing :frown: )

well, u see, trouble is, our age difference. Your only 14 so ur still going through growth and puberty. These are the years in which u must avoid further impairment in the eyes or else u'll regret it in future years. All the opticians I have spoken to recommends u ALWAYS wear your glasses at yer age!!! For my age (19) its harder to determine what to do, but all opticians agree at growth stages of life u need to always wear glasses. If I was u, i would concentrate on facts not spend £50 on some money-sucking products...but of course, if it works for u then stick with it.

Also with regards to laser surgery......well, research atm, says there are side-effects in the long-run (i.e. 10-20+ years after surgery)...but its not conclusive! So I dont think ill do laser.
I found out today that I am long sighted and that the muscles in my right eye are weak and don't focus properly and so gives me headaches. I'm getting glasses for reading and using the computer.
Reply 28
JohnnyKnox
hi, im 19, and i've discovered that my vision (short-sightedness i.e. cannot really see things far away) has worsened within 1 year in uni - which is very peculiar :confused:. I've gone from 125 degrees to 150 degrees and now got a new pair of glasses - its not a huge difference but take into consideration ive been on 125 degrees for like 4 years, and suddenly one year in uni it shoots up 25 degrees. Please read on...it's shorter than it seems :biggrin:...........

I can read and use the computer without my glasses, but need them to drive, watch TV, and see whiteboard - coz im shortsighted. My question is:

Shall I wear my glasses at all times regardless of the task to prevent further power in my eyes, or shall I wear them only when necessary to prevent further power, or does it not matter because its all just genetics?(by power, I mean the increase/worsening degree of vision)

One optician told me I should wear them all the time to prevent further power as there is still a possibility of body growth at age 19, yet another one told me just wear them when necessary as getting further power or not is down to genetics at this age. Then I hear other theories from friends/relatives such as:
- not wearing glasses when necessary will strain your eyes and make them worse
- wearing glasses all the time will make your eyes adapted to them so you will only gain power and not lose power (losing power is actually possible!)
- wearing glasses seems to make vision worse
- just avoid excess use of the computer and your vision will not deepen

One theory I was quite intrigued upon that I saw on a documentary was: at *some point whilst using the computer you should look/stare out the window and focus on something very far, for a short *period of time to prevent damage to your eyes. Has anybody else heard of this? and if so, *what are the specific time periods?

im short sighted too. my optician recommends me to wear my glasses all of the time, so i do, i dont think the number has changed for like 2 years now.
Reply 29
My friend is really badly short-sighted. Her contacts are not as strong as her glasses, so she can't see as well with them, but a lot of the time she prefers them to glasses. Is that helpful two-tone? Edit: i see that question was answered a long time ago. :rolleyes: That'll learn me not to skip the last page of threads.

I have those top/bottom lenses (bifocals?) because I tend to strain my eyes reading and this damages my long-distance vision.
I find my vision gets worse when I don't wear them when reading (although i don't have to wear them at other times). Perhaps you've been straining your eyes with all that uni study?

gah. I'm not wearing them now, though i should be. I'll regret this in the future, when the myopia really sets in.
I've been wearing contact lenses for a couple of years now. My prescription has slightly gone up in that time, but that could be the age. (I'm 18, and my eyes are now -3)
Reply 31
Emily-Sarah
The computer thing (looking out the window) helps your eyes refocus. Look at the horizon for about 30 seconds every 10 minutes or so.

wow so it is every 10 minutes, im shocked, i thought its like every hour. I use the internet in 10 minutes without any effort
btw, when looking out the window to refocus, shall i have my glasses off or on?
Reply 32
Last year i bought a pair of Hugo Boss glasses as i am short sighted and 2 weeks later my little sister kicked me in the face with them on and bust them, i hate wearing them, once i tried driving with no glasses....... :eek:

I was orginally allergic tot he contact lense solution i was using so had to change brand. I was -3.00 and -2.50 but now -2.75 in both. Sometimes i can wear them all day hassle free but other days, such a pain. I once slept with them on! I spend ages playing online games and my eyes go red after a couple of hours, so i put soem drops in.
JohnnyKnox
wow so it is every 10 minutes, im shocked, i thought its like every hour. I use the internet in 10 minutes without any effort
btw, when looking out the window to refocus, shall i have my glasses off or on?

if you can focus at a point without ur glasses, clearly, do so
or else with your glasses on

if you can be bother to do that, every half an hour, rub your hands and put them on your eyes, like a cup... and close your eyes and relax... for about 1 minute... thats pretty good as well...
Reply 34
XxXmowgliXxX
if you can focus at a point without ur glasses, clearly, do so
or else with your glasses on

he's short sighted...

anyway, adding to it...
close your eyelids and place 2 fingers over each eye...
now move the fingers in a circular motion on your eyelids 21 times...
i don't know if anyone understood the method, but it helps circulation...
Reply 35
I've often wondered the same thing! I only wear mine when reading at the moment, but think I should really wear them most of the time.

You notice how bad your vision is if you wear your glasses for a couple of days solid and then take them off and everything is really really blurred! But if I don't wear them for a few days, I get used to it and don't notice the blurryness quite as much - if that makes sense lol.

I think i'm going to start wearing mine all the time because just wearing them for a couple of hours a day is probably confusing the hell out of my eyes lol!
Yep, contacts can be worn for up to any degree of short-sightedness. There really is no excuse for wearing glasses. I have all day, all night ones which you can even sleep in for up to five nights at a time. they're from specsacers. As i'm a student paying by direct debit, they cost only £13 per month. For the price, i get perfect vision, two 250mls of solution and 4 contact cases. Seriously worth it. I find that glasses are anoying, particularly as anything which surounds the glasses is fuzzy and bleary. Once you've tried these lenses, i guaruntee you'll never wear glasses again.
Reply 37
kimberley1987
Yep, contacts can be worn for up to any degree of short-sightedness. There really is no excuse for wearing glasses. I have all day, all night ones which you can even sleep in for up to five nights at a time. they're from specsacers. As i'm a student paying by direct debit, they cost only £13 per month. For the price, i get perfect vision, two 250mls of solution and 4 contact cases. Seriously worth it. I find that glasses are anoying, particularly as anything which surounds the glasses is fuzzy and bleary. Once you've tried these lenses, i guaruntee you'll never wear glasses again.

£13/month for those??????? thats impossible!!!!!!!
Trust me, it's true...
Reply 39
How about this for a crazy, out there suggestion: Go and see and opthamologist

Latest

Trending

Trending