The Student Room Group

Experiences of the CTA qualification

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by CPereira
Hello all, so thankful to see a forum for CTA! :smile:
I have a question regarding the E-Assessments? Is it possible to prepare for these with Kaplan or BPP distance learning only? or should i opt for Tolley classroom and revision course.
I don't want to underestimate them, but am thinking i should be ok since it is multiple choice and 1 hour each? I intend to sit the Awareness paper and the E-assessments at the same sitting in Nov 2012, then IND and IHT together in May 2013 (I am exempt from the Application & Interaction paper).
Any responses are welcome!
Cheers

Distance learning for the e-assessments is very much feasible. It's standard with my firm and I've not known anyone from my office have any problem with studying for the e-assessments that way. As above, my training was with Tolley, where for the e-assessments you get a printed copy of the various guidelines/regulations for the Professional Responsibilities & Ethics exam, along with a set of practice questions (and two mock exams) for both Professional Responsibilities & Ethics and Law. You'll have to buy the study text for the Law exam ("Essential Law for the Tax Adviser") from the CIOT separately - see here: http://www.tax.org.uk/students_qualifications/Currentctastudents/ctakeystudentinfo/Essential+Law.htm
Reply 41
Thanks Illusionary!
Have my first exam in November but don`t have any material to read except the past questions and answers. Can anyone help me with materials as I live in Sierra Leone.
Original post by Sahrtommy
Have my first exam in November but don`t have any material to read except the past questions and answers. Can anyone help me with materials as I live in Sierra Leone.

Are you associated with a professional services employer, or doing this independently? You ought to make arrangements for professional tuition in order to have a good chance of success - it really is worthwhile. Whilst it may not be feasible for you to attend physical classroom tuition given your location (there may be some availability, but international courses aren't something that I'm aware of), the likes of Tolley Exam Training (link) can provide online courses/resources.
Reply 44
Hi everyoneI'm hoping you could give me some tips on passing the damned OMB. 4th attempt in Nov 17. This is the last exam to go, all the others were first passes.. Not really sure what else to do.
i sure hope you finally passed?! i start studying in January and very worried with that i start with the OMB paper too! anyone with tips or advice?
Reply 46
Hey hope you are doing well. I am planning to start in January too. Are you taking any tuition?
Hi
I attempted adv individuals tax in last sitting and failed at 45. Can someone please tell me do i need to buy new materials or can use same. I bought study material from kaplan for distance studies and self studied. Thanks
Reply 48
Hi
Exam material is usually updated every year after the December session. It will be more appropriate if you give Tolley or Kaplan a call as they can guide you about the changes better. Or I may be able to let you know later on today.

By the way have you gone through with the CBE's. Is it better to take on one exam at a time? I'm planning on taking both awareness and adv Individual tax this session but many have suggested to take on one.

Kind Regards
Thankyou. Please let me know what you find about study material i will do it myself too.

When i started CTA no one was there to guide i just took hunch. I couldnt find much about it on internet either. But i would suggest to go for awareness exams first. And as far as i know you cannot chose same exam in both modules.

If you have time to prepare then its good to attempt more then one exam in one sitting as there are lots of cross topics.
Oh and yes its better if yougwt done with CBEs first they are quite easy.
Original post by Big_Dave
500 - 600 hours is realistic the pass rate for the CTA is currently 33% imagine the ACA and times it by about 40 times and that is generally how difficult it is. But it is also highly valued because of the above.

Be prepared to put the work in, but generally firms are more lenient with the CTA in terms of pass and fails as they recognise its difficulty!

Come on! The CTA tests only tax. How's this comparable to ACA and ACCA that test tax, audit, financial management, performance management, financial reporting, business cases etc?

You can say its harder than the tax courses in ACA exams, but seriously what's with the x40 difficulty thing?
Reply 52
Hi guys anyone preparing for CTA Nov 2021?
I am a bit straggling with the choice of modules for awareness. Is OMB difficult? I am trying to find out what is the “easier” :smile: thanks for the Amy advise. I am going to go with Tolley preparation and choose Corporate Tax, Taxation of Unicorporated Business and VAT but seems Tolley doesn’t provide preparation for VAT..
Reply 53
Original post by Nazym
Hi guys anyone preparing for CTA Nov 2021?
I am a bit straggling with the choice of modules for awareness. Is OMB difficult? I am trying to find out what is the “easier” :smile: thanks for the Amy advise. I am going to go with Tolley preparation and choose Corporate Tax, Taxation of Unicorporated Business and VAT but seems Tolley doesn’t provide preparation for VAT..

Hi Nazym

What you find ‘difficult’ will probably depend on your background/professional experience. All of the CTA exams (with the exception of awareness as that it quite an enjoyable paper) are difficult but if you deal with corporate tax everyday for example, you’d probably find TOMC easier than you would find IHT.

When choosing the papers, I’d think about 2 things. First, your practical experience and what is currently most familiar to you, and secondly, your career aspirations.

The general practice route is to do Individuals and OMB as your Advanced Technical papers, which would leave your Awareness topics to be IHT, VAT & Stamp Taxes, Corporation Tax.

The Awareness topics are the ones you don’t do at Advanced Technical level, so if you chose to do TOMC rather than Individuals, Personal Tax would replace Corporation Tax as your Awareness topic. If you chose to do Unincorporated Businesses at Awareness, you may not be able to do OMB at AT.

It’s preferable to sit your final Advanced Technical paper with the APS paper of the same type as there is a lot of cross over in syllabus. I took OMB AT in the same sitting as OMB APS. I understand from my tutors that the OMB APS tends to be a little bit more friendly than the Individuals one.

I can definitely recommend the Tolley’s study materials and tutors - they are excellent.
Reply 54
Original post by DonDuck
Hi Nazym

What you find ‘difficult’ will probably depend on your background/professional experience. All of the CTA exams (with the exception of awareness as that it quite an enjoyable paper) are difficult but if you deal with corporate tax everyday for example, you’d probably find TOMC easier than you would find IHT.

When choosing the papers, I’d think about 2 things. First, your practical experience and what is currently most familiar to you, and secondly, your career aspirations.

The general practice route is to do Individuals and OMB as your Advanced Technical papers, which would leave your Awareness topics to be IHT, VAT & Stamp Taxes, Corporation Tax.

The Awareness topics are the ones you don’t do at Advanced Technical level, so if you chose to do TOMC rather than Individuals, Personal Tax would replace Corporation Tax as your Awareness topic. If you chose to do Unincorporated Businesses at Awareness, you may not be able to do OMB at AT.

It’s preferable to sit your final Advanced Technical paper with the APS paper of the same type as there is a lot of cross over in syllabus. I took OMB AT in the same sitting as OMB APS. I understand from my tutors that the OMB APS tends to be a little bit more friendly than the Individuals one.

I can definitely recommend the Tolley’s study materials and tutors - they are excellent.

Hi, Don Duck
Thank you very much for a such open and detailed answer.
I have zero experience in tax since I am a lawyer with LLM from Exeter uni.
I see myself more in corporate tax as it a bit closer to the law. For instance taxation of M&A transactions or just international taxation. I used to work in EY in my country, advisory team, so, I drafted legal advices in the way, I think, the exam is required. But not sure... I will do the same as you: take OMB AT at the same time as OMB APS. Did you pass the exam ?
I just started my journey :smile: so still more information to learn.
Reply 55
One more question:smile:
My understanding is that Corporate Tax Awareness corresponds with taxation of Major Corporations AT, and taxation of unincorporated business from Awareness with Taxation of Owner Managed Business AT right?
I am uploading current list of modules available.
So if my understanding is correct my choice would be following:
Awareness: Taxation of individuals, IHT, trusts and estates, taxation of unicorporated business
AT: taxation of Major Corporation and Cross border indirect taxation
APS: Taxation of larger companies and groups.
Does it Make sense?
Reply 56
Original post by Nazym
Hi, Don Duck
Thank you very much for a such open and detailed answer.
I have zero experience in tax since I am a lawyer with LLM from Exeter uni.
I see myself more in corporate tax as it a bit closer to the law. For instance taxation of M&A transactions or just international taxation. I used to work in EY in my country, advisory team, so, I drafted legal advices in the way, I think, the exam is required. But not sure... I will do the same as you: take OMB AT at the same time as OMB APS. Did you pass the exam ?
I just started my journey :smile: so still more information to learn.

I sat OMB AT and APS together in November 2020 and passed both papers. They were my final written exams for CTA.

Originally I had intended to sit AT OMB in May and the APS paper in Nov as I hadn’t completed my CBEs and generally you need to complete those before sitting your final written papers. Also May and November are examined on the same Finance Act, so if you go from Nov to the following May there’s a chance some rules might change. As it happened, my May exam was cancelled and they relaxed the rules about passing your CBEs for the November sitting as the test centres were closed for large periods of 2020 so I took the opportunity to do them both together. As I say, there is a lot of crossover as the APS is basically the same syllabus as AT - the only difference is the format of the exams and that APS expects you to have a broad awareness knowledge of all the other topics.

The Awareness topics and proposed AT exams you have identified would work as a route to CTA. I assume the Taxation of Large Companies and Groups at APS corresponds to the TOMC AT paper.

One word of caution... Do not underestimate the difficulty of the CTA exams, especially if you don’t have any experience in tax. I’m not trying to scare you off but they are tough and the pass rate per paper is generally around the 40% mark. The exams are definitely achievable, but you need to have strong core knowledge and good exam technique.

Depending on your previous exposure to tax, how supportive your employer is, and your appetite for studying, the ATT qualification provides an excellent grounding for studying CTA if CTA straight off the bat sounds daunting.

I would definitely recommend getting the study courses as these are a huge help. I studied with Tolley’s, but I’m sure BPP and Kaplan will be just as good.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck with it. You’ll have days where it’s tough going and you’ll feel overwhelmed by the content, but that makes the highs of passing the papers all the more enjoyable.

Remember... Nothing worth doing is easy!
Reply 57
Original post by DonDuck
I sat OMB AT and APS together in November 2020 and passed both papers. They were my final written exams for CTA.

Originally I had intended to sit AT OMB in May and the APS paper in Nov as I hadn’t completed my CBEs and generally you need to complete those before sitting your final written papers. Also May and November are examined on the same Finance Act, so if you go from Nov to the following May there’s a chance some rules might change. As it happened, my May exam was cancelled and they relaxed the rules about passing your CBEs for the November sitting as the test centres were closed for large periods of 2020 so I took the opportunity to do them both together. As I say, there is a lot of crossover as the APS is basically the same syllabus as AT - the only difference is the format of the exams and that APS expects you to have a broad awareness knowledge of all the other topics.

The Awareness topics and proposed AT exams you have identified would work as a route to CTA. I assume the Taxation of Large Companies and Groups at APS corresponds to the TOMC AT paper.

One word of caution... Do not underestimate the difficulty of the CTA exams, especially if you don’t have any experience in tax. I’m not trying to scare you off but they are tough and the pass rate per paper is generally around the 40% mark. The exams are definitely achievable, but you need to have strong core knowledge and good exam technique.

Depending on your previous exposure to tax, how supportive your employer is, and your appetite for studying, the ATT qualification provides an excellent grounding for studying CTA if CTA straight off the bat sounds daunting.

I would definitely recommend getting the study courses as these are a huge help. I studied with Tolley’s, but I’m sure BPP and Kaplan will be just as good.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck with it. You’ll have days where it’s tough going and you’ll feel overwhelmed by the content, but that makes the highs of passing the papers all the more enjoyable.

Remember... Nothing worth doing is easy!

Thank you !! Yes, I am aware how difficult it is...
I have no choice :smile:
How many hours tou dedicated for studying, let’s say, per day?
Hi NazymI did the MSc with LPC so came into CTA the same route as you. I am doing Advanced tech OMB & TOMC & TOMC for APS. My awareness modules were VAT, Indv & IHT.

CTA is similar to your solicitor exams. Although OMB is quite broad.

Law comes more naturally to me than tax (particularly the computational aspects) so I have to put more work in than my solicitor exams but its definitely do-able. Just dont underestimate it.

Good luck!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by Loulabelle11
Hi NazymI did the MSc with LPC so came into CTA the same route as you. I am doing Advanced tech OMB & TOMC & TOMC for APS. My awareness modules were VAT, Indv & IHT.

CTA is similar to your solicitor exams. Although OMB is quite broad.

Law comes more naturally to me than tax (particularly the computational aspects) so I have to put more work in than my solicitor exams but its definitely do-able. Just dont underestimate it.

Good luck!

Hi Loulabelle !Lets keep in touch. Are you doing it in November 2021? I decided to switch from pure CTA to ATT CTA pathway as introduced by Tolley. I heard that ATT is a bit easier than CTA and if I want, later will do two additional papers for CTA. Will see. Are you from London ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending