The Student Room Group

exeter vs newcastle for accounting and finance

i have an offer letter from both the uni for bsc in accounting and finance but i’m conflicted between these two choice. i’m targeting for investing banking in the top firm and i don’t know which one can help me, so if u went to any of these uni or have any opinion regarding lmk
Reply 1
Just to check - is the Newcastle offer for Flying Start or for standard entry?
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000

whats that
Reply 3
Original post by ajj2000

mine is with placement
Reply 4
I am sorry in advance if I come across rude or pessimistic but having worked for 8 yrs in the financial services industry at companies like BlackRock, PwC and Baxter I think I maybe able to shed some light into how investment banking recruitement works. They are traditionalists with very stringent view on a candidates background - 1. Be a straight A student in school 2. Be in leadership positions of your high school societies or be an amazing athlete 3. For uni, they ONLY target tier 1 universities (think LSE, LBS, Oxbridge) in core economics, statistics, finance, maths, politics and science programs as they have no reason to look beyond since their front facing roles which is very limited in number gets filled easily with top performing students with spring week exp. by the time they are done with 1st round of shortlists. So my suggestion pick the university which is giving you an amazing Scholarship and has the course structure which interests you the most along with possibility of a well rounded university experience.
Reply 5
Original post by Kantree
I am sorry in advance if I come across rude or pessimistic but having worked for 8 yrs in the financial services industry at companies like BlackRock, PwC and Baxter I think I maybe able to shed some light into how investment banking recruitement works. They are traditionalists with very stringent view on a candidates background - 1. Be a straight A student in school 2. Be in leadership positions of your high school societies or be an amazing athlete 3. For uni, they ONLY target tier 1 universities (think LSE, LBS, Oxbridge) in core economics, statistics, finance, maths, politics and science programs as they have no reason to look beyond since their front facing roles which is very limited in number gets filled easily with top performing students with spring week exp. by the time they are done with 1st round of shortlists. So my suggestion pick the university which is giving you an amazing Scholarship and has the course structure which interests you the most along with possibility of a well rounded university experience.

PWC don't have target universities for accounting schemes.
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
PWC don't have target universities for accounting schemes.

If you are targeting Big 4 for any scheme, just be sure to register for either ICAEW or ACCA, they ask whether you are fully qualified or part qualified right after saying Hello (kidding..almost). If you have any question regarding ACCA, you can ask me.
Reply 7
Original post by Kantree
If you are targeting Big 4 for any scheme, just be sure to register for either ICAEW or ACCA, they ask whether you are fully qualified or part qualified right after saying Hello (kidding..almost). If you have any question regarding ACCA, you can ask me.

I've been a member of the ICAEW for a long time!
Original post by Kantree

Im studying ACCA right now along side A Levels and I’ll be done with both at almost the same time. Will ACCA give me an advantage at university applications for BSc Accounting and Finance. I planning to apply to targets and semi-targets for IBD. Also would I be allowed to maybe skip terms or get exempt from them as I would already be ACCA qualified.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending