The Student Room Group

How do I get my needs assessment?

I sent off my application weeks ago and have just received the letter telling me to get a needs assessment. I rang SFE up and asked how to get one and they told me to ring my University and book one.

My university told me to book an appointment to see their disabled student support in September and sort it all out then. Thing is, I'd quite like to sort it out before then, and the letter says I should use one of the approved centers and there isn't one in Glasgow (I'm from Liverpool, going to Glasgow in September, nearest approved centre to me is Manchester).

Have I been given the correct information? Do I need to talk to Glasgow to get a needs assessment or do I just ring a centre myself? Is the system any different because I'm going to a Scottish university and the funding comes from student finance England?

Thanks
Reply 1
anyone?
Reply 2
do it when you get to university. it makes no sense for anyone to do it independently, and i imagine you will probably be contacted by disability services asking you to go for one when you start.
fliss_pop
anyone?

I booked my needs assesment with the centre that was closest to my home, as my uni year had finished and i had come home before i was able to book one.

Look on the site they give you on the letter and find the nearest centre as you said its Manchester. Then phone them up and book and appointment, they will ask for a report of your disability, and proof that you have the funding for the needs assesment which is the letter from student finance.

Best to do it now really, as it dosent matter where you do it, the funding and equipment will all be in place for when you start your course then.
Reply 4
Don't wait until September as that is the busiest period and you will be well into your first semester/year before you get any of the help.

Book one asap at your nearest centre. :smile:
Reply 5
fliss_pop
I sent off my application weeks ago and have just received the letter telling me to get a needs assessment. I rang SFE up and asked how to get one and they told me to ring my University and book one.

My university told me to book an appointment to see their disabled student support in September and sort it all out then. Thing is, I'd quite like to sort it out before then, and the letter says I should use one of the approved centers and there isn't one in Glasgow (I'm from Liverpool, going to Glasgow in September, nearest approved centre to me is Manchester).

Have I been given the correct information? Do I need to talk to Glasgow to get a needs assessment or do I just ring a centre myself? Is the system any different because I'm going to a Scottish university and the funding comes from student finance England?

Thanks

Okay, you obviously had the psych assessment. So once your new university has gotten that document (scan it in if necessary, and send it to them - under NO circumstances let anyone have the original document. Always issue copies).

However, the university is telling you the truth re waiting until September. Usually the process is that they sit you down with your psych assessment and go through other options that you may or may not require (ie: not only technology assistance, but such help as note-taking and similar help). It is also during this period that staff-members key to this process take their holidays - so work with the university in that regards.

Normally when you put in for your assessment of needs in September, you should receive it around october/november. It all depends how quickly you get in to see them - ideally in the Fresher's Week (or the week prior to it, means you are in the first list to get seen to). In my experience, I would go the university help-way, as they are the people "on the ground" and what someone agrees to in some other centre, may not be what the university is agreeable to.
Reply 6
Spikificus
Okay, you obviously had the psych assessment. So once your new university has gotten that document (scan it in if necessary, and send it to them - under NO circumstances let anyone have the original document. Always issue copies).

However, the university is telling you the truth re waiting until September. Usually the process is that they sit you down with your psych assessment and go through other options that you may or may not require (ie: not only technology assistance, but such help as note-taking and similar help). It is also during this period that staff-members key to this process take their holidays - so work with the university in that regards.

Normally when you put in for your assessment of needs in September, you should receive it around october/november. It all depends how quickly you get in to see them - ideally in the Fresher's Week (or the week prior to it, means you are in the first list to get seen to). In my experience, I would go the university help-way, as they are the people "on the ground" and what someone agrees to in some other centre, may not be what the university is agreeable to.

So I ignore the bit of letter that says to go through one of their approved centers and I don't get any assistance (eg laptop, voice recorder, print allowance) until end of first term?
Reply 7
fliss_pop
So I ignore the bit of letter that says to go through one of their approved centers and I don't get any assistance (eg laptop, voice recorder, print allowance) until end of first term?

This is what I learned when going through this process - and I had to go through it a few times, and learned the hardway as no one explained it to me.

You said that, "My university told me to book an appointment to see their disabled student support in September and sort it all out then". Remember, at this appointment meeting they sort out other things as well. If you need note-taking; what type of specific support plan; perhaps you'll need a computer when doing examinations - all this is done in the first meetings.

If the university said "book and appointment in September, then the day after you get back to the area (ie: the day before, everyone is knackered from moving, etc) - you go and make the appointment as soon as.
Reply 8
If your needs are nothing out of the ordinary then I cannot stress enough that you will be better off having a needs assessment asap.

September is the busiest period for your uni, student finance (it will have to go back to them for approval) and the equipment suppliers.

You will be very lucky to get any support before Christmas, at least, if you leave it that late.

Yes it's ideal to have it done at uni as they know how that particular uni operates but it is not essential at all, trust me!

I've been told just 10 mins ago by a DDS advisor at my uni that it is a choice and depends on practicalities for the student but whatever I do, don't delay as they get busier and busier as the summer progresses and acting now should mean I have things in place at the start of my course.

Do a google search and you will see plenty of evidence saying the earlier the better.

It will help if you have some idea of the assessment types and the way your course will be run - will there be placements/exams/field trips etc as this is stuff your uni DDS dept would know or be able to find out but it's only because that obviously helps you and the assessor decide what help would be suitable for your needs on that course.

Make a local appt and if one to one support is recommended and agreed by student finance, they will provide it so get onto them to have it set up as soon as you get to uni in September.

Hopefully any equipment will be ready to go by that point if you act now.

It's obviously up to you but that's what I would do and what i've been advised to do by my uni.
Reply 9
tesstickles
If your needs are nothing out of the ordinary then I cannot stress enough that you will be better off having a needs assessment asap.

September is the busiest period for your uni, student finance (it will have to go back to them for approval) and the equipment suppliers.

You will be very lucky to get any support before Christmas, at least, if you leave it that late.

Yes it's ideal to have it done at uni as they know how that particular uni operates but it is not essential at all, trust me!

I've been told just 10 mins ago by a DDS advisor at my uni that it is a choice and depends on practicalities for the student but whatever I do, don't delay as they get busier and busier as the summer progresses and acting now should mean I have things in place at the start of my course.

Do a google search and you will see plenty of evidence saying the earlier the better.

It will help if you have some idea of the assessment types and the way your course will be run - will there be placements/exams/field trips etc as this is stuff your uni DDS dept would know or be able to find out but it's only because that obviously helps you and the assessor decide what help would be suitable for your needs on that course.

Make a local appt and if one to one support is recommended and agreed by student finance, they will provide it so get onto them to have it set up as soon as you get to uni in September.

Hopefully any equipment will be ready to go by that point if you act now.

It's obviously up to you but that's what I would do and what i've been advised to do by my uni.

However, he (she) should also bear in mind that the university is not "held agreeable to anything discussed in an assessment centre that is not done from within the actual university; and this is why they say "make an appointment on campus". Trust me on this - I've been through that same thing where one assessment centre said one thing and the university said another.. been through this entire rigamorle four times now..
If the needs are straight forward then there is unlikely to be a dospute.

If there is, it may still be quicker to get assessed now and take a chance.

If left until September, they are going to be many months without support anyway so I'd take the chance if it were me.

I don't understand why they aren't doing them through the summer anyway - my uni are and I was still told it would be fine to use a more local one if easier so that I can get in the system asap.

You need to weigh up the pros and cons, flIss_pop.

Is it for dyslexia or something more unusual?
Before you go down the local centre approach, get on to your Disabled Student Support people at Glasgow and ask to make an appointment ASAP. There's more to support than just your DSA application. There shouldn't be any reason for them to be unavailable until September as they'll still have to support PG students and staff over the summer - make it clear that you're willing to come up.

Getting in touch with the university early can be very important, especially if need support arranged far in advance (e.g. notetakers generally need to be booked weeks in advance). If necessary, they should be able to get your department to sort you out early (e.g. signing up for lectures so you can book notetakers). Likewise they may be to assist in sorting out any problems with accommodation.

If you have a pretty straightforward disability or good medical evidence, hopefully the University will make their own unofficial assessment of your needs and arrange for support (lending laptops, paying for non-medical help out of their funds and claiming the money back later) until your proper DSA assessment comes through.
ninja-lewis
Before you go down the local centre approach, get on to your Disabled Student Support people at Glasgow and ask to make an appointment ASAP. There's more to support than just your DSA application. There shouldn't be any reason for them to be unavailable until September as they'll still have to support PG students and staff over the summer - make it clear that you're willing to come up.

Getting in touch with the university early can be very important, especially if need support arranged far in advance (e.g. notetakers generally need to be booked weeks in advance). If necessary, they should be able to get your department to sort you out early (e.g. signing up for lectures so you can book notetakers). Likewise they may be to assist in sorting out any problems with accommodation.

If you have a pretty straightforward disability or good medical evidence, hopefully the University will make their own unofficial assessment of your needs and arrange for support (lending laptops, paying for non-medical help out of their funds and claiming the money back later) until your proper DSA assessment comes through.

I agree - that is by far the best option if it's possible!

My uni have put things in place just on the strength of me putting in a dsa application so it seems strange they won't do anything until September!

I think it's equipment that will be delayed most but as you say, it can take a few weeks to set up tuition or other help.

Did you say you were willing to travel fliss_pop?
Reply 13
Told them I'd travel and they said not to worry there was no need, I do already have an appointment booked for September though. I think I'll ring up the centre in Manchester today though and try to book an assessment time just because I don't really want the added hassle in September and if everything is already in place then it will just make it easier to hit the ground running.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Latest

Trending

Trending