The Student Room Group

999/101 police call handler and dispatcher role.

Hello there! Very new to the forum world! Haha.
Anyway, I recently passed stage 2 vetting for the role of a 999/101 call handler in Kent and have an assessment and interview date all in one session on the 20th so about 13 days.

Because of covid-19 it is being done virtually over the computer. It is also 1 on 1.

Not sure really what to expect. I have been studying the kent police values and beliefs as well as the policing core competencies and values framework
So that I can incorporate these things into my answers for any interview questions. But in terms of role play. Or typing and call handling role playing or assessments I have no idea what to expect and its scary haha!
Been checking up on my political correctness also and phone skills.

I am asking if anyone has any tips or advice if previously in this role or position as to what to expect, or maybe you still are and can help me! Either way help haha 🤣

I want this job so very badly!
Thankyou in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lukemccarten_95
Anyway, I recently passed stage 2 vetting for the role of a 999/101 call handler in Kent and have an assessment and interview date all in one session on the 20th so about 13 days.

Because of covid-19 it is being done virtually over the computer. It is also 1 on 1.

Not sure really what to expect. I have been studying the kent police values and beliefs as well as the policing core competencies and values framework
So that I can incorporate these things into my answers for any interview questions. But in terms of role play. Or typing and call handling role playing or assessments I have no idea what to expect and its scary haha!

I am asking if anyone has any tips or advice if previously in this role or position as to what to expect, or maybe you still are and can help me! Either way help haha 🤣

Hi, I was a communications officer for greater manchester police for 5 years so covered 999/101 and radio. I can give you some tips on the assessment part I had if you want to send me a message
Original post by sharon....
Hi, I was a communications officer for greater manchester police for 5 years so covered 999/101 and radio. I can give you some tips on the assessment part I had if you want to send me a message

Yeah sure, I will message you now. Thankyou

Hey,

I am in the exact same boat as you right now and just wanted to know if you had any tips/tricks for the interview & what types of questions do they ask you? Did you get the job??

Thanks in advance :smile:

Hey, how did you get on?

I have an interview next week via teams, want to be as well prepared as possible, what sort of questions did they ask you?

Original post by fillycheese
Hey,

I am in the exact same boat as you right now and just wanted to know if you had any tips/tricks for the interview & what types of questions do they ask you? Did you get the job??

Thanks in advance :smile:

Did you have the interview? Any tips or hints on questions? I have mine next week.

Thanks
Original post by hayleymx27
Did you have the interview? Any tips or hints on questions? I have mine next week.

Thanks

Yeah I had the interview and it was much more relaxed than I had anticipated! I was interviewed by two of the FCR supervisors and they were very supportive and welcoming.

My main piece of advice is that you should thoroughly read through the document that they will send you the day before the interview, as this is the basis for questions they will ask you. For example, there is a situational task where you have to prioritise certain situations in a list and they will be listening carefully to how you explain your reasoning for your choices.

Also, there will be a role play task where one of them will act as a member of public calling in and you will have to play the role of an operator, filling out the table (also in the document they send) as you go - therefore also testing your ability to multi-task (typing and talking). They turn their camera off in order for you to concentrate so don’t worry too much, just be as enthusiastic as possible during this task and make sure you are getting out every single detail you need to know - where, who, what etc. Then you will be responsible for how you react to the circumstance - you have to decide whether you will be sending police out, making an appointment etc - it all depends on your prioritisation and what you consider to be an emergency - make sure you write everything down.

There will be other circumstantial questions asked - one I got asked was “what would you do if a colleague was going through a divorce and was taking it out on the members of public calling in” - just to give you a rough idea, can’t remember the exact phrasing! There is also a typing test which I did awfully on under pressure, then my friend who also had an interview that day said that if you refresh the page then you can restart the test - fuming! Don’t be afraid to refresh and restart the typing test (they give roughly 3 minutes for this task) but the result doesn’t have to be sent until after the interview, so don’t panic.

Apologies for the essay - just to summarise: make sure you prepare by reading through the document they send, do the activity before the interview (they are lenient with having notes around you), write down every detail and be confident. Hope this helps, good luck!
(edited 3 years ago)
Yeah I had the interview and it was much more relaxed than I had anticipated! I was interviewed by two of the FCR supervisors and they were very supportive and welcoming.

My main piece of advice is that you should thoroughly read through the document that they will send you the day before the interview, as this is the basis for questions they will ask you. For example, there is a situational task where you have to prioritise certain situations in a list and they will be listening carefully to how you explain your reasoning for your choices.

Also, there will be a role play task where one of them will act as a member of public calling in and you will have to play the role of an operator, filling out the table (also in the document they send) as you go - therefore also testing your ability to multi-task (typing and talking). They turn their camera off in order for you to concentrate so don’t worry too much, just be as enthusiastic as possible during this task and make sure you are getting out every single detail you need to know - where, who, what etc. Then you will be responsible for how you react to the circumstance - you have to decide whether you will be sending police out, making an appointment etc - it all depends on your prioritisation and what you consider to be an emergency - make sure you write everything down.

There will be other circumstantial questions asked - one I got asked was “what would you do if a colleague was going through a divorce and was taking it out on the members of public calling in” - just to give you a rough idea, can’t remember the exact phrasing! There is also a typing test which I did awfully on under pressure, then my friend who also had an interview that day said that if you refresh the page then you can restart the test - fuming! Don’t be afraid to refresh and restart the typing test (they give roughly 3 minutes for this task) but the result doesn’t have to be sent until after the interview, so don’t panic.

Apologies for the essay - just to summarise: make sure you prepare by reading through the document they send, do the activity before the interview (they are lenient with having notes around you), write down every detail and be confident. Hope this helps, good luck!

Thankyou so much for your help and advice! I passed my assessment and have been offered a position. (Subject to referencing and vetting checks) 😊😊😊
Reply 8
Hi thereI have the same interviewwould you mind messaging me some tips too please

Hi Fillycheese. I have my interview on Wednesday with Cheshire Police. I have twice before got through all stages but failed at the face-to-face interview due to nerves. It would really help me to be able to take some bullet point notes in, What force did you apply to? I just wondered if the application process is the same across the board? Thanks
Reply 10
Hi, thanks for the info! Really helpful! I’m at the Situational Judgement Test stage. I’ve got a few days to complete it by but I’m panicking! Are there any tips you can give on this please? (I assume you’ve been qualified for a while now... how are getting on?
I’d love any tips you could share thank you
Reply 12
I have just been accepted for the role yesterday, feel free to contact me with any questions
Reply 13
Original post by ClaireT764
I’d love any tips you could share thank you

When is your interview/assessment?
Reply 14
I have just been accepted for the role yesterday, feel free to contact me with any questions
Reply 15
Original post by Wylo

I found the Situational Judgement Test really confusing. I only got 34% ‘average’ apparently. What did you get and did you find it confusing too? Not sure whether I’ll get any further.
Congratulations! Are you excited? Nervous?
Reply 16
(Original post by MitchM77)
I found the Situational Judgement Test really confusing. I only got 34% ‘average’ apparently. What did you get and did you find it confusing too? Not sure whether I’ll get any further.

I did not get a situational judgement. I had 1. Typing and accuracy. 2. Multitasking. 3. MemoryAnd yes, those assessments are tough and not alot of information out there which can help educate us before we go for it really and that's why I want to help. Apparently, they have 6 types of assessments to alternate between. I got 89% average between the 3 assessments with the memory one being my weakest results. Thank you, and don't let your 1st attempt to be last. You can reapply for the next opening, at least you know how it is like.
Reply 17
Original post by Wylo

I did not get a situational judgement. I had 1. Typing and accuracy. 2. Multitasking. 3. MemoryAnd yes, those assessments are tough and not alot of information out there which can help educate us before we go for it really and that's why I want to help. Apparently, they have 6 types of assessments to alternate between. I got 89% average between the 3 assessments with the memory one being my weakest results. Thank you, and don't let your 1st attempt to be last. You can reapply for the next opening, at least you know how it is like.

I find out on Monday or Tuesday if I’ve got any further 🤞🏼
I’ve been looking into the typing... I did a touch typing course at school 30 years ago, but obviously have forgotten it all. Were you good at it anyway?
What do the other tests involve please?
I’ve been a nanny for nearly 23 years and want to do something else.
Reply 18
I find out on Monday or Tuesday if I’ve got any further 🤞🏼
I’ve been looking into the typing... I did a touch typing course at school 30 years ago, but obviously have forgotten it all. Were you good at it anyway?
What do the other tests involve please?
I’ve been a nanny for nearly 23 years and want to do something else.
Wish you all the best and try again if wasn't accepted. Gotta be a fighter to get what you want :smile:
Reply 19
(Original post by Wylo)(Original post by MitchM77)I find out on Monday or Tuesday if I’ve got any further 🤞🏼I’ve been looking into the typing... I did a touch typing course at school 30 years ago, but obviously have forgotten it all. Were you good at it anyway?What do the other tests involve please?I’ve been a nanny for nearly 23 years and want to do something else.Wish you all the best and try again if wasn't accepted. Gotta be a fighter to get what you want About the other tests, one was multitasking which I had to listen to a recording of random numbers and I had to write down every number which is mentioned after the number 3. While listening to the recording, there was a sheet of questions had to be answered which require searching for answers on ask police data base and using Google maps to find places. My advice is try to read these questions as soon as they send the files so u give urself a head start before the recording starts. And while you are searching for answers, keep telling your brain to hear the number 3 and keep repeating saying 3 in ur head while ur hands and eyes are searching for answers to the questions. Once ur ear hear the number 3. Stop everything and focus on the number being said after and immediately write it down

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending