The Student Room Group

Next team assessment day! HELP PLZ

I’ve just passed the telephone interview with next and have been invited for the team assessment. Does anyone know what I should expect from this and how I should be prepeared. Someone with experience please help me as I have never worked before and it is my first ever job. Also I’ve never worked on tills, is it easy to work on tills. What do you do? Please someone help.
I’ve recently just got a job at next and had a team assessment day also 😊 I have the worst social anxiety and I’ve never had a proper job interview before so I was very nervous but it was completely fine. So I can assure you if I can do it, I know you can.Not sure if you want clothes advice but I wore a dress, some small heels and tights. And natural looking makeup. The woman who did my phone interview kind of gave me a hint that they don’t like people wearing heavy makeup to the job. Basically walked into the store and spoke to a member of staff behind the tills and then I got taken to the staff room. There was 3 other people for the assessment day also, with two job positions open. Here you have to sign a form to say you agree to being at the assessment day and a member of staff will give a brief of NExt as a company and some info. Can’t remneber everything specifically as I was so nervous at this point haha. I did make a point of being friendly with the others who were there for the assessment and I think this gave me actually great first impression. Also remember to ask a lot of questions during this point and throughout the whole of the assessment. I.e: what it’s like working for Next? What are the assessors favourite things about working at Next? Who are NEXTS competitors? What does a typical day include working? I did this and during my interview they brought up how appreciative they were of it.Then we all be taken on the shop floor. We got split into two groups and was also matched with a memeber of staff who was already on the floor and who was going to assess us. Firstly, my group got put around the till area. Don’t worry you won’t be working the till. They just explain it. Just remember to be very friendly to the members of staff you encounter here and again, ask a lot of questions ☺️ Another thing I did was show I had a clear idea on fashion. By just making comments about the clothes that were nice or in trend I.e “I love this dress, these colours are so in” Then we got put onto the shop floor. Here we had to take clothes from a clothes rack and put them back in the right place and look on clothes racks that were out on the shop floor and make sure everything is in order and that the right hangers are being used (size, trousers or top hangers). The important part here is to interact with customers. Which can be daunting but essentially that is what they are looking for. I just made sure to be smiley and greet customers and all you have to do is go up to a few customers and say “hi do you need any help with anything” usually customers will say no then maybe fOllow with “okay well my name is ____ and I’ll be around if yOu do need any help”. All of this went on for about half an hour. I spent the week leading up to it worrying uncontrollably. And when I went, it honestly was not even 1/10th as bad as I thought it was going to be. After this we went back into the staff room and we were all called individually to go out and this is where we were told if we got the job. Out of the four of us, the first girl who got called out got it. And I was the last one remaining and I also got the job. Obviously this probably wouldn’t be the same for you but I assume the last person to get called has a high chance because it’s cruel making someone wait around and be the last person and it’s pointless if they don’t get it.I hope this did somewhat help you. I was looking all over the Internet non stop for information and everything I found had either been posted ages ago or didn’t have enough detail for me to be confident enough. Good luck for your assessment!!! I have my first shift next week and I’m super nervous! 😣 just remember to ask questions and be friendly with customers. Do them and you’ve got the job guaranteed.
Ooh I have my assessment tomorrow! I’m quite nervous but have worked in retail before (including M&S!) really hope I get it. Gotta fund these studies somehow.
Your description has been so helpful! Thank you! Fingers crossed I get it 🤞🏼 X
Reply 3
Hey I've been offered a job at next and at the induction day I told them I was going back to college so she said she'd have to talk to the other manager cause they would have to change my contract, this was a week ago and haven't heard anything, could they decide to not give me the job now after offering it to me?
are next passionate about needing a retail experience ?
Reply 5
No not at all when you apply they don't even ask in the application if you have any experience I mean it's an advantage but no
Hey, I've had a telephone interview with Next today and passed ! I have a team assessment on Monday, is there another interview during the team assessment, or is it just seeing how I work on the shop floor?
Reply 7
Hi! I passed my telephone interview and have a shop floor assessment - they said it would last for an hour. I'm just wondering what happens? I'm super nervous - are there any additional interviews?Hope everything went well for you x
Original post by adcccccc
Hi! I passed my telephone interview and have a shop floor assessment - they said it would last for an hour. I'm just wondering what happens? I'm super nervous - are there any additional interviews?Hope everything went well for you x

Hey, I had mine a few weeks ago ! I didn’t have any additional interviews or anything
It was just me and one other person, and one of us was in the store room hanging clothes up etc, and the other was on the floor putting clothes away and helping customers - it was about half an hour at each 😊 then I went back into the office and the manager just asked how I found it, if I had any questions, etc, then she gave me a £10 gift card which was nice ! And she said she’d let me know within a few days

I got an email the next day and I didn’t get it, but it’s okay because I ended up finding a different job soon after !

Make sure you’re confident and you talk to customers, ask if they’re okay or need any help, and talk to the staff as well !
Good luck, you’ll do great !
Hi, I have just had a next assessment with one other applicant. We both think it went well. We were taken to the staff room after been on the shop floor. The manager gave us each a £10 gift card and said we would receive feedback on our application via an email. What does this mean please? Should I be hopeful? Anyone else been through this? Thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Hourglass13
Hi, I have just had a next assessment with one other applicant. We both think it went well. We were taken to the staff room after been on the shop floor. The manager gave us each a £10 gift card and said we would receive feedback on our application via an email. What does this mean please? Should I be hopeful? Anyone else been through this? Thanks

It means that they’ll send you feedback on your application via email 😂
Don’t worry about it, it won’t take them long to get back to you
I got a phone call from the manager yesterday and I got the job. Tia 😊
How long before they get back to you?
Original post by Jennieruby
How long before they get back to you?

4 days
@Sophie1co do you still work here and how is it?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Unknown19x
I’ve just passed the telephone interview with next and have been invited for the team assessment. Does anyone know what I should expect from this and how I should be prepeared. Someone with experience please help me as I have never worked before and it is my first ever job. Also I’ve never worked on tills, is it easy to work on tills. What do you do? Please someone help.

how do you got through the online behaviour assesement?!! I have been trying to give the assessment again but there is no option.
Reply 16
Original post by Sophie1co
I’ve recently just got a job at next and had a team assessment day also 😊 I have the worst social anxiety and I’ve never had a proper job interview before so I was very nervous but it was completely fine. So I can assure you if I can do it, I know you can.Not sure if you want clothes advice but I wore a dress, some small heels and tights. And natural looking makeup. The woman who did my phone interview kind of gave me a hint that they don’t like people wearing heavy makeup to the job. Basically walked into the store and spoke to a member of staff behind the tills and then I got taken to the staff room. There was 3 other people for the assessment day also, with two job positions open. Here you have to sign a form to say you agree to being at the assessment day and a member of staff will give a brief of NExt as a company and some info. Can’t remneber everything specifically as I was so nervous at this point haha. I did make a point of being friendly with the others who were there for the assessment and I think this gave me actually great first impression. Also remember to ask a lot of questions during this point and throughout the whole of the assessment. I.e: what it’s like working for Next? What are the assessors favourite things about working at Next? Who are NEXTS competitors? What does a typical day include working? I did this and during my interview they brought up how appreciative they were of it.Then we all be taken on the shop floor. We got split into two groups and was also matched with a memeber of staff who was already on the floor and who was going to assess us. Firstly, my group got put around the till area. Don’t worry you won’t be working the till. They just explain it. Just remember to be very friendly to the members of staff you encounter here and again, ask a lot of questions ☺️ Another thing I did was show I had a clear idea on fashion. By just making comments about the clothes that were nice or in trend I.e “I love this dress, these colours are so in” Then we got put onto the shop floor. Here we had to take clothes from a clothes rack and put them back in the right place and look on clothes racks that were out on the shop floor and make sure everything is in order and that the right hangers are being used (size, trousers or top hangers). The important part here is to interact with customers. Which can be daunting but essentially that is what they are looking for. I just made sure to be smiley and greet customers and all you have to do is go up to a few customers and say “hi do you need any help with anything” usually customers will say no then maybe fOllow with “okay well my name is ____ and I’ll be around if yOu do need any help”. All of this went on for about half an hour. I spent the week leading up to it worrying uncontrollably. And when I went, it honestly was not even 1/10th as bad as I thought it was going to be. After this we went back into the staff room and we were all called individually to go out and this is where we were told if we got the job. Out of the four of us, the first girl who got called out got it. And I was the last one remaining and I also got the job. Obviously this probably wouldn’t be the same for you but I assume the last person to get called has a high chance because it’s cruel making someone wait around and be the last person and it’s pointless if they don’t get it.I hope this did somewhat help you. I was looking all over the Internet non stop for information and everything I found had either been posted ages ago or didn’t have enough detail for me to be confident enough. Good luck for your assessment!!! I have my first shift next week and I’m super nervous! 😣 just remember to ask questions and be friendly with customers. Do them and you’ve got the job guaranteed.
Hi did you have to do the online assessment ? I’m getting questions about carrier bags and have no idea and can’t seem to find any information online 😩

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending