The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Baller D
If non-NCTJ journalism courses are pointless, why are they there? There are so many joint honours courses that are not accredited by NCTJ, so are they totally pointless?

I know you can do a course after Uni, but is that as good as doing an NCTJ accredited degree?

Thanks for any responce.

This isn't helpful, but I want to know exactly the same thing. I mean I KNOW people go through non NCTJ courses and get jobs, so is there a huge deal? and NCTJ don't even accredit many universitys!

And why would uni's run/why would people DO them if they were pointless?

Let me know if you get an answer, OP, as my own questioning on this has yet to be answered! It seems this part of the forum is quiet! :|
Reply 2
Basically if you study journalism you can do a NCTJ accredited or non accredited course.

Should you do a NCTJ accredited course you will obtain industry standard qualifications AS WELL AS your studies in the likes of Shorthand, Law, Subbing and much more. This makes you a lot more employable.

Most print publications require that you have the NCTJ qualifications. Rarely you can get a position without these, but then the employer will have to spend time and resources in sending you on training courses to get these, so would always employ somebody with these qualifications above you.

However, just because you do a NCTJ accredited course does not mean you'll walk away with all the qualifications anyway. It comes down to modules that you choose along the way. Also NCTJ examinations are technically external, therefore you have to pay extra to sit these exams, for example I think my Shorthand was around £16 and Law was £40. Bear in mind most publications require around 100 wpm shorthand, that could be a few exams you take at different speeds, and of course if you failed you would probably want to resit.

However you could always take these exams or go on an NCTJ course on your own - find out more here http://www.nctj.com/

Latest

Trending

Trending