The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would personally learn Portuguese.

It is spoken far more widely around the world than Italian thanks to Portugal having ex-colonies.
Reply 2
I'm not interested in learning either language, but if someone could magically make me fluent I'd choose Italian.

Band
I would personally learn Portuguese.

It is spoken far more widely around the world than Italian thanks to Portugal having ex-colonies.

Yeah, but where are you more likely to visit Italy or a former Portugese colony? Probably Italy. That and Italian culture and history trumps anything in the Portugese speaking world.
Reply 3
I'm planning on learning Italian at some point in my life, but I have no interest in learning Portugese.

Since I'd like to study History of Art at uni, Italian is much more useful for that, even if it isn't very widely spoken, simply because Italy has such a historically and artistically rich culture. And also, Italian sounds pretty! :P
Reply 4
Italian ofcourse!
Reply 5
Italiano!! lol that's an easy choice. :P
Portuguese, because there is a massive Portuguese population here so it would be quite useful.
Portuguese is sexxay
Reply 8
starforsure
If you had a choice to learn either Italian or Portuguese, which one would you rather learn and why?

Portugese, because I can already speak Italian xD
Reply 9
Difficult one, Italian is a quite pretty language but If must be honest, spanish italian french, it's all sort of in the same corner and nothing special really.
Portuguese however is a very unique language! It has sounds that you don't really find in spanish for example. it has about triple the ammount of speakers of italian. I would definitely choose portuguese. Although most people know where it is spoken (obviously) not many people learn it in school or at uni where as Italian, gosh loads of people speak italian and is nothing special :P
Reply 10
French
Reply 11
this needs a poll - but italian :smile:
italian :smile:
italian, i just love that language it's so beautiful, i love everything about italy :smile:
Pop_tart
Difficult one, Italian is a quite pretty language but If must be honest, spanish italian french, it's all sort of in the same corner and nothing special really.
Portuguese however is a very unique language! It has sounds that you don't really find in spanish for example. it has about triple the ammount of speakers of italian. I would definitely choose portuguese. Although most people know where it is spoken (obviously) not many people learn it in school or at uni where as Italian, gosh loads of people speak italian and is nothing special :P

Hmmm Portuguese in other ways is very like Spanish, and the sounds are not too dissimilar to French. I vote we reclassify them all as dialects of Modern Romantic Late Neo-Latin (something like that.) tbh. (That was my French-and-Russian studying friend's suggestion. Don't kill me.)
Reply 15
Don John
Portugese, because I can already speak Italian xD

You know Italian, lucky you!!
I actually have more of a "pull" to learning Portuguese than Italian, although I'm even losing interest in learning French a little bit now (just need to go back to Paris again probably), but I would probably choose Italian just because it's pretty and warm in the south (although the dialects/languages of the south are different from standard Italian) and not far away. Oh and I like a lot of Italian art, literature I don't know so much about but y'know Dante is Dante.
Reply 17
Well I would go with Italian as well.
A lot of literature, art and fantastic culture to explore. Plus Italy is gorgeous. Could live there all my life. And Italian sounds so pretty. I love Andrea Bocelli's Conte Partiro.

:yep:
Reply 18
explore
You know Italian, lucky you!!
Yep, my dad works half in Crewe, Cheshire, and half in Milan, Italy. Milan is actually a lot like industrial Crewe, but with better weather xD
Reply 19
Don John
Yep, my dad works half in Crewe, Cheshire, and half in Milan, Italy. Milan is actually a lot like industrial Crewe, but with better weather xD

Wow thats great, i only know Dutch and German, wouldnt mind trading them for Italian tho :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending