The Student Room Group

Writing a personal statement?

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before, or is in the wrong place or anything, but it's been bugging me for a while. I hope to apply for Spanish, but some of the unis I've been looking at only offer it with another language. My question is, how would I write a personal statement that would cover both universities soley offering Spanish, and those where I would be applying for another language (from scratch - Spanish is my only language A-level)
Thanks for any help :smile:
Reply 1
At a guess I would suppose that you could say that you have an interest in languages. Im not sure really as I hate the fact that you can only have one personal statement. I'm having problems doing mine as one of the degrees I want to apply for is Archaeology and ecology and the others are ecology or conservation.

I'm going to wait and see if any one can help you more. Sorry I'm useless.
Ninadakash
Hi, sorry if this has been asked before, or is in the wrong place or anything, but it's been bugging me for a while. I hope to apply for Spanish, but some of the unis I've been looking at only offer it with another language. My question is, how would I write a personal statement that would cover both universities soley offering Spanish, and those where I would be applying for another language (from scratch - Spanish is my only language A-level)

I've just had a quick look and there are about 10 that offer it, but obviously you may not like the course, university etc. The best advice for anyone writing a personal statement (for anything), is to use the PS helpers on TSR. They're amazing and they'll be able to look over your personal statement and help you make sure you've balanced it etc.

I guess you could warble on about how you would like the opportunity to learn more languages or something, but the best advice you're likely to get will come from the PS helpers. (They get really busy later in the year, so make sure you get it in earlier.)
Reply 3
Hi, are you interested in Hispanic Studies? Because that was originally my course of choice and I was going to apply to Bristol, Nottingham, Sheffield, Newcastle and Lancaster, so I know they all offer that course. It just depends what you want your course to involve.
Ninadakash

You're likely to be able to find 5 universities that do Spanish on its own. However if the universities you're interested in only offer it with another language there's quite an easy solution.
You're better off focusing on Spanish since it's the subject you know, and it's the one you're definitely applying for. Try to talk not only about things specific to Spanish (travel, reading Spanish literature etc.) but also about learning languages in general, for example if you're interested in politics say that you enjoy learning about the political background of the country you're studying (that was an awful example but hopefully you get what I mean).
You could also mention that you have picked up skills (learning vocab, understanding grammar etc.) which you feel will benefit the study of another language as well as further study of Spanish.
You don't say what other language you'll be picking up but you could talk about an interest in it or the country's culture, but only briefly. This would demonstrate to the universities who offer Spanish with another language that you're interested in this language. Hopefully the other universities, while they will probably work out that you're applying to study it, will see it as an interest in other cultures?
I'm writing my PS and I'm in a similar situation, although I've already studied both languages so it's a little easier. This is just how I'm handling it.
Ninadakash
Thankyou very much for that! Yeah, I'm trying to combine specifics about why I want to do Spanish, then adding more general bits about European languages in general, and culture etc.
Good luck with your PS :smile:

Haha you managed to write in a few sentences what I wrote in a big wall of text. Glad I helped, and thanks, I'll need all the luck I can get haha. Good luck with yours :smile:
Reply 6
You speak vaguely about the university. Never mention their name and boom.

"This course will help me... the environment of university will benefit my... taking this course will..." you don't even have to utter their name.

My PS had 2 different languages and then 3 different SUB topics because some were dual courses.

Latest

Trending

Trending