The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
halfoflessthan50p
My initial reaction was no, definitely not. I'm already very happy and I don't have any money problems.

But then it occurred to me that you could use the money to save the lives of millions of people in third world countries etc. So maybe I would - I'm not sure

That's a fair point. I was considering this myself because someone earlier brought up that they would use the money to help others to get rid of their guilt. Question is are you strong willed enough to definitely put it to that use?

I dunno if I would be able to resist the temptation once the money was actually there to not use a lot of it on me and my family tbh.
Yes.

As long as their were no catch.
kiirstendaviies
exactly what i thought. :smile:
im not pushing that button!

:five:
Reply 63
Nessa Swanson
hahaha, I didn't even see that original post!

Nah it's not, I have to -well had to, finished Alevels now- wear suits to my 6th form =/...mind you I never really stuck to dress code.

That's a very yummy outfit, then. :smile:
Reply 64
Dorito
You're a girl... she's a girl...

I like were this is going. :ahee:

:iiam:
Reply 65
stracano
*looks at profile* "DAYMN!"

Reply 66
NothingOnYou
In the time it has taken for most people to respond to this post, numerous people that we have never heard of and will never have met in our lives have passed away. I can't imagine anyone here ever has, or would ever choose to consider those people.

With the introduction of "the button", we somehow manifest this cost.
This will come across crude, it's not meant to, it's simply laying it out: As we currently don't care for those that we don't know, why does the introduction of personal gain change this?

It's surely the fact that fom pushing the button you are no longer disconnected from these people, you are forcing your influence upon their lives in yes a rather round-about way, but you are still the direct cause of their end. These people dying right this minute that we don't know aren't dying directly because of us so we have less reason to feel massive guilt about it.
Reply 67
I'd rather pave my own way to success :biggrin:
NothingOnYou
In the time it has taken for most people to respond to this post, numerous people that we have never heard of and will never have met in our lives have passed away. I can't imagine anyone here ever has, or would ever choose to consider those people.

With the introduction of "the button", we somehow manifest this cost.
This will come across crude, it's not meant to, it's simply laying it out: As we currently don't care for those that we don't know, why does the introduction of personal gain change this?

Because there is a difference from death naturally and death from cold blooded murder.
Reply 69
grape:)
I'd rather pave my own way to success :biggrin:

Another good reason not to.
I pointed this out to my bf in our discussion and he said "but I would have taken the intiative and decided to make the difficult decision and face the consequences" and I just didn't know how to reply so called him a knob lol.
No ******* way.
Reply 71
snowshine
:iiam:

:ms: :perv:
I'd press the button, despite being one of the rare few that is actually willing to take action and help others regardless of the personal risk.

ALL HAIL HYPOCRISY.
crazylemon
Because there is a difference from death naturally and death from cold blooded murder.

Fair enough. I think "The Button" exemplifies irrationality better than anything else that we do. Not that irrationality is wrong.

Numerous things we do are at the detriment and cost to others on the other side of the world. We consume x, y and z to make us 'happy', the production process of which results in pollutants harming a b & c on.

I know this all sounds very idealistic, etc etc etc, it's not meant to be. It's just that the button gives us a different sense of control.

We go about our lives as we currently do, consuming and disregarding. But because there is this perception of completely definable wrongdoing, when almost all of us currently contribute to what is ultimately a similar effect, our perception changes.

**** I hate Economics.
NikNakWakAtak

I know the catch; I won't push the button.

Me too.
Reply 75
Nessa Swanson
Another good reason not to.
I pointed this out to my bf in our discussion and he said "but I would have taken the intiative and decided to make the difficult decision and face the consequences" and I just didn't know how to reply so called him a knob lol.

Haha, that's probably what I would have done. Choosing to kill someone in order to live like a king is not comparable to working hard and achieving through ambition. :yep:
Reply 76
Dorito
:ms: :perv:

OP is quite yummy if I do say so myself.
one day we will all be dead and the physical pleasure we have enjoyed will have been for nothing.

Don't get me wrong though, i wouldn't mind living in comfort but would prefer to earn 'material' things such as that in a way which reflects positively on my character.
NothingOnYou
Fair enough. I think "The Button" exemplifies irrationality better than anything else that we do. Not that irrationality is wrong.

Numerous things we do are at the detriment and cost to others on the other side of the world. We consume x, y and z to make us 'happy', the production process of which results in pollutants harming a b & c on.

I know this all sounds very idealistic, etc etc etc, it's not meant to be. It's just that the button gives us a different sense of control.

We go about our lives as we currently do, consuming and disregarding. But because there is this perception of completely definable wrongdoing, when almost all of us currently contribute to what is ultimately a similar effect, our perception changes.

**** I hate Economics.

That is more because the externalities haven't been addressed. That is a problem with the system as it is and could be changed.

I agree that with some people it would show the irrationality. But then I am one of these people who feels that if you want to eat meat you should be willing to kill the animal you are about to eat. To not is hypocrisy
I wouldn't push it in either case. Couldn't live on knowing I killed someone wheter itn as a healthy person, a dying person, a murderer or a baby in the womb. People are people.

Edited because of double typing fail.

Latest

Trending

Trending