The Student Room Group

Girls wearing ties for school

Just wondered how many other girls have to wear a school tie. It's not really bothered me before but it is now for some reason and it's really uncomfortable, especially when it has to be worn properly ALL the time during the day and prep, and in the eveing too if we don't change.
I can't get away with wearing it loose, does anybody else manage?

Scroll to see replies

I had to when I was at school, but we got away with wearing them short and loose. I guess you go to a boarding school, hence having to wear it in the evening?

They can be harmful if done up too tight, so make sure it's not strangling you!
Reply 2
I hate it - but my trick to try and make it slightly more comfortable is to have the top of the tie just below the top button - high enough to be smart and for teachers not to say anything, as they have kids doing more wrong than having it slighlty loose - but also loose enough to take some of the strain of of my neck! It's worked for 4 years, and they even let it slide even though I'm a prefect!
>Anna<
I had to when I was at school, but we got away with wearing them short and loose.

This :smile:

I actually quite liked wearing it :cool:
Boo hoo, I've had to wear one since I was in primary school! I even have to wear one now in 6th form, whereas the girls are now allowed to get away with it...
Reply 5
abbeyb17
I hate it - but my trick to try and make it slightly more comfortable is to have the top of the tie just below the top button - high enough to be smart and for teachers not to say anything, as they have kids doing more wrong than having it slighlty loose - but also loose enough to take some of the strain of of my neck! It's worked for 4 years, and they even let it slide even though I'm a prefect!

How do you manage that then? I have tried before but it slips down and becomes really obvious. I guess it's more difficult because my school doesn't have girls who have it really loose so even slightly undone is an issue.

Do you wear it in the evening too? That's one of the worst things about boarding school - we have to!
Reply 6
I had to wear one all through primary and then year 7-9 in secondary. Year 10 & 11 get v neck shirts and jumpers which = no ties :woo:
Reply 7
With the knot I use it just stays put - I don't go to a boarding school so I change out of my uniform - but if I do any concerts etc I have to and I keep it on then - I would hate to have to wear it all of the time!
There is a trick which a lot of us do at my school which is to undo your top button and then do up your tie in such a way that it hides the fact your top button is undone. MUCH more comfortable, but I can't really explain it...that might be a matter of try it a few different ways so it's inconspicuous :smile:
At my old school girls had to wear ties.
Reply 10
Used to at school. The regular ties were fine, but with all the girls wearing them stupidly with huge knots and making them tiny (along with the idiots who like to pull ties) we were forced with clip-ons, which were irritating...
ties are cool :cool:
At my school, it's compulsory for boys to wear ties, but not for girls. So girls are allowed to wear ties, but no one does really cos it's not popular to, they just wear open neck shirts. I think this seems the same in all the schools in my area, as I've hardly ever seen any girls wear ties tbh.
Button up.
Tie tight and straight.

That's how I roll.
We had clip on ties since we were told it was too dangerous to have the normal ties.

I rarely wore mine, I didn't see the point of wearing one if I were going to be strangled for 6 hours a day :smile:
Reply 15
my school makes me wear a tie even though i'm in sixth form KMT
wore a tie for y7-11. My school seem to be quite lenient with them though- we were allowed to have top buttons undone, and ties level with the second-top button. Saying that, as we wore jumpers for most of the year, i normally had the first 3 buttons undone and tie level with the 5th or 6th button... only became sliiightly more rule abiding in june and july :tongue:
I had to wear a tie aged 4-16, but I didn't really mind because everyone had to. They can look alright if teachers aren't too strict about length and you can have your top button undone, we just had to avoid running into senior teachers who would make a fuss.
Count yourself lucky that you are not a man.
Reply 19
I had to wear one at school but most people would have the top button undone and the tie loose. Teachers didn't really bother unless it was really loose or short.

Addzter
Boo hoo, I've had to wear one since I was in primary school! I even have to wear one now in 6th form, whereas the girls are now allowed to get away with it...

:eek: who has to wear uniform in sixth form :confused:

Latest