The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Wouldn't five be a bit much for you? If you did decide to go for five then i'd recommend perhaps a language, to show some diversity in your subject combination.
+rep for people who answer any one of these questions

1. Is English Literature, History, Economics, French and Critical Thinking a good enough combination to get into Oxbridge to study Law, presuming I get all As/A*s?

2. What are those subjects like at A level? Hard? Especially History, Economics and Critical Thinking as I haven't studied them before (I've studied History before GCSE-level though, up to Year 9)

3. I have the option to study a YASS course. Would it be best to do one in essay-writing, which would help with History and English Lit, or would it be best to do one in 'Open Mathematics', which would show more variety in my application?

Thanks so much in advance to anyone who answers any one of these questions, you will have my love forever! :p:
LittleMissCurious

1. Is English Literature, History, Economics, French and Critical Thinking a good enough combination to get into Oxbridge to study Law, presuming I get all As/A*s?

2. What are those subjects like at A level? Hard? Especially History, Economics and Critical Thinking as I haven't studied them before (I've studied History before GCSE-level though, up to Year 9)

3. I have the option to study a YASS course. Would it be best to do one in essay-writing, which would help with History and English Lit, or would it be best to do one in 'Open Mathematics', which would show more variety in my application?

Thanks so much in advance to anyone who answers any one of these questions, you will have my love forever! :p:

1. Yes. For Oxbridge law, you just want 4 academic subjects, which you have.
2. I only did English Literature, which was sort of hard. Most respected subjects are a bit hard though, that's why they're respected. :p:
Reply 383
Duckzilla
Between chemistry and economics I would choose economics as you are right in saying it will make you look well rounded, plus you enjoy it. Between biology and ICT it should be biology. ICT is an absolute coursework monster (not that it's hard but it will take you forever and ever labeling stuff like how you took a screenshot and how you underlined a word, it will be at least over 100 pages. Because it's easy the examiner picks people up on the most tiny things that nobody cares about and will refuse to give you the mark, even if three teachers have said it's perfect already) and the exams are extremely patronising.

ICT is viewed as a 'soft' subject by universities, especially for a competitive course like engineering, so you would be disadvantaged compared to others with more 'respected' A-levels. Biology is a respected subject and is miles better than ICT as you will learn useful things.

Sorry I've just had an ICT rant but the A-level is basically identical to the full course GCSE and that was a nightmare in itself. There is really nothing useful to learn in ICT that you don't already know from using a computer in daily life and the coursework will drive you mad. Biology is a nice A-level to have.

Thank you for your help!

I will be studying Maths, Physics, Biology and Economics then!
I would prefer Chemistry to Biology but it doesn't go in my option blocks and I am sure it won't be bad.
LittleMissCurious

Why don't you try the EPQ, instead of the YASS course/Open Mathematics.
Junaid16
Why don't you try the EPQ, instead of the YASS course/Open Mathematics.

If I do EPQ I can't do Critical Thinking, which I want to do as it's meant to be helpful for the LNAT. So which YASS course do you think would be better for my application - essay-writing (would help with English Lit and History) or 'Open Mathematics', which would show more variety?
LittleMissCurious
If I do EPQ I can't do Critical Thinking, which I want to do as it's meant to be helpful for the LNAT. So which YASS course do you think would be better for my application - essay-writing (would help with English Lit and History) or 'Open Mathematics', which would show more variety?

The essay writing, because it will be relevant to Law, . Don't bother with the Open Mathematics, unless you actually enjoy it,because it will become tedious after a while.
Reply 387
Duckzilla
Well what do you want to study at university? French would be good if you wanted to go into languages or history because it is a good essay subject with lots of transferable skills. Maths and biology wouldn't be much help trying to get onto a history/humanities degree unless you want to study psychology at university where biology would be essential for you.

Thanks for your reply!
Well, I'm thinking of doing Law at University; if i picked French for A-Level study and did well in it, I could very possibly do it with Law, otherwise if I went to a Welsh Uni, I'd do Law and Welsh; and if I went to an English uni and didn't do well in French A-Level (say, get a grade below B), or didn't study it at all for A-Level, I'd probably just do Law by its self.

Now biology seems irrelevant, although I do enjoy it! Having said thay, I enjoy Maths & French too!! Does it look better for Universities if they see a candidate with a broad range of subjects .. ie. a language, a science and another subject, say history; instead of history and two languages?! Or should I just stick to something I know I will be good at instead of taking a risk?!

:smile:
Coursework.info
It's been a while since you posted

It's been a day?
Reply 389
HI...I am currently deciding my A levels and cannot decide my last one. Does anybody know which A levels are most useful for psychology? PLEASE HELP! i was meant to decide about a month ago!! thanks.
Reply 390
Which A Levels are you already taking?
English Literature, Maths (with statistics modules), History, Geography. Take your pick.
Psychology, any of the 3 sciences, maths, PRE, english lit
maths. biology would be good if you like the biological aspects of psychology. any essay writing subject, e.g. english, history, whatever.
Psychology (duh); Biology; Maths; English lit;

I'd suggest looking on university websites though, as they tell you what you actually need.
Normandy114
Psychology (duh); Biology; Maths; English lit;

I'd suggest looking on university websites though, as they tell you what you actually need.

I'm going on to do a BSc Psychology with Criminology, and I'm taking the above also after being advised by my chosen uni :wink:
Reply 396
im really bad at maths and so i dont really want to do it at all! at the moment im doing biology psychology and rs and my school offer a science research project in psychology so i wanted to do that as an extension and also critical thinking as an extension! but what other main A level can i do?
You don't need a Psychology A-level to be able to study it at university, but if you want to do it that's fine. Biology would be good and maybe Maths as well. I hear there's a lot of statistics involved in Psychology degree courses.
Reply 398
100 rosie
HI...I am currently deciding my A levels and cannot decide my last one. Does anybody know which A levels are most useful for psychology? PLEASE HELP! i was meant to decide about a month ago!! thanks.

You will find most uni's (Including Oxbridge) don't really specify aslong as you have either a strong Arts (Eng Lit, History, Religious Studies) or a Science (Maths, Sciences, Geography) background. The only requirement is that you take at least one science, this includes Psychology itself, Biology, Chem, Physics and Geography. However if you are looking into doing clinical you will need Biology but for the course you want to do you will be fine with pretty much any combination of strong arts or sciences.
Reply 399
Ideally:

Psychology.
Biology.
Maths/Stats.
English/Classics/History/any other respectable essay subject.

But I did at A2 Art, Classics and Psychology with Critical Thinking :mmm: and was fine.

Latest