The Student Room Group

A guide on how to get a 9 in GCSE Edexcel Business Studies

Hello to anyone who is wondering if they want to take GCSE Business or a Year 9/10 student who is struggling or simply anyone who is wondering how to get a 9 in GCSE Business Studies. I am just writing this to help anyone who wants the help (as I never recieved this help when I was in Year 10). Business is not the hardest subject (the easiest GCSE once you know the technique) and I improved from a 6 in my End of Year 10 exam to a 9 in my December mock exam. I am yet to recieve my GCSE results but I scored 93% in my December mock and 97% in my March mock (I will come back and update on August 25th!). Anyways enough waffling, here is how to do it:

1) Exam structure

This point is essential and is the one thing that can increase your grade drastically. For the Edexcel specification, this is how you should do it:

1 mark question - simply a word or short phrase
2 mark question - state your main point and follow this by a chain of analysis. A chain of analysis is simply an explanation statement and should start with something like "this would lead to..." or "as a result of..."
3 mark question - state your main point. Follow this by two chains of analysis. It could be something like "this is because..." and then "this would lead to"
6 mark question - two main points, each with two chains of analysis. Make sure to look at the key word (do you have to evaluate, analyse, state the drawbacks, etc?). From there, pick two appropriate points and continue this with two chains of analysis. Make sure to apply using the case study if you are given one, clearly stating "as stated in the case study" in order to score all 6 marks
9 mark question - this one is important as they expect you to answer in a very specific way. You are given a case study and a 9 marker based on this. You get two options and are expected to choose one. Choose one option and *do not* mention the other option at all. If you do, you are capped at the lower bands. Pick an option and state an advantage to this (apply to the case study in this) and follow this by two chains of analysis. Then, state a disadvantage point and follow this with application and two chains of analysis. Finally, end this with your conclusion. This should contain MOPS (I'll get onto that in a bit) and a however point (summarise your advantage and disadvantage point)
12 mark question - This is the exact same as your 9 mark question except you aren't given options and are instead told to evaluate a specific point. You can mention anything you'd like here (you don't have to restrict any of your information) but make sure you conclude your points here too

2) Revising the actual content itself and how to do it effectively

I'll be honest, I never made a single flashcard or mindmap because the one thing I did was make notes in class and pay attention during lessons. If you struggle with this however, make sure you incorporate the specification into your revision. I'd recommend creating mindmaps/notes on each theme making sure to mention:
- advantages and disadvantages of every source of finance/type of business/etc as that is usually what the 3/6 markers ask
- key words such as economies of scale, market orientation and the marketing mix/design mix
- equations as people forget this and it's easy marks

3) If you want to go above and beyond, use some AS/A-Level words

In your 9 and 12 mark questions, I always recommend people to use key words outside of the specification as you will not be marked down and you are instead showing the examiner that you know your stuff and you have also read around the subject

4) Timing, timing and timing!!

This is the one thing people struggle with all the time. If you are in Year 9/Year 10, I'd recommend you to practice your timing in exams and even in homework if it helps you speed up in any way. If you struggle with that, start your exam with the 9/12 marker and time yourself doing this. Give yourself 10 minutes for the 9 mark question and 14 minutes for your 12 mark question and then go back to the rest of the questions so at least that is out of the way

5) Understand your words

GCSE Business is very simple and does not require that much effort if you understand it from the start. Make sure you understand the words like "state", "analyse", "evaluate", "explain" and etc.

Hope this was useful and if you have any questions please ask, I'd be happy to answer.
thank youuuuuu
Answering your business GSCE questions are very easy when you know the structure and keywords. If you go onto GSCE Business on BBC bitesize it literally has a question structure section which led me to earn 95% on my mock.
Reply 3
thank u so much. I'm ending yr10 rn with my mocks and I rlly needed this 💕💕
Reply 4
I'm so glad it could help, I was able to thankfully score a 9 (and 6 marks off the total) using the structure I posted above so it will definitely help you too!!
Original post by rdvelvetx
thank u so much. I'm ending yr10 rn with my mocks and I rlly needed this 💕💕
Reply 5
thank u sm💗💗
does this apply to igcse as well?
Reply 7
Original post by Bored_person
Hello to anyone who is wondering if they want to take GCSE Business or a Year 9/10 student who is struggling or simply anyone who is wondering how to get a 9 in GCSE Business Studies. I am just writing this to help anyone who wants the help (as I never recieved this help when I was in Year 10). Business is not the hardest subject (the easiest GCSE once you know the technique) and I improved from a 6 in my End of Year 10 exam to a 9 in my December mock exam. I am yet to recieve my GCSE results but I scored 93% in my December mock and 97% in my March mock (I will come back and update on August 25th!). Anyways enough waffling, here is how to do it:

1) Exam structure

This point is essential and is the one thing that can increase your grade drastically. For the Edexcel specification, this is how you should do it:

1 mark question - simply a word or short phrase
2 mark question - state your main point and follow this by a chain of analysis. A chain of analysis is simply an explanation statement and should start with something like "this would lead to..." or "as a result of..."
3 mark question - state your main point. Follow this by two chains of analysis. It could be something like "this is because..." and then "this would lead to"
6 mark question - two main points, each with two chains of analysis. Make sure to look at the key word (do you have to evaluate, analyse, state the drawbacks, etc?). From there, pick two appropriate points and continue this with two chains of analysis. Make sure to apply using the case study if you are given one, clearly stating "as stated in the case study" in order to score all 6 marks
9 mark question - this one is important as they expect you to answer in a very specific way. You are given a case study and a 9 marker based on this. You get two options and are expected to choose one. Choose one option and *do not* mention the other option at all. If you do, you are capped at the lower bands. Pick an option and state an advantage to this (apply to the case study in this) and follow this by two chains of analysis. Then, state a disadvantage point and follow this with application and two chains of analysis. Finally, end this with your conclusion. This should contain MOPS (I'll get onto that in a bit) and a however point (summarise your advantage and disadvantage point)
12 mark question - This is the exact same as your 9 mark question except you aren't given options and are instead told to evaluate a specific point. You can mention anything you'd like here (you don't have to restrict any of your information) but make sure you conclude your points here too

2) Revising the actual content itself and how to do it effectively

I'll be honest, I never made a single flashcard or mindmap because the one thing I did was make notes in class and pay attention during lessons. If you struggle with this however, make sure you incorporate the specification into your revision. I'd recommend creating mindmaps/notes on each theme making sure to mention:
- advantages and disadvantages of every source of finance/type of business/etc as that is usually what the 3/6 markers ask
- key words such as economies of scale, market orientation and the marketing mix/design mix
- equations as people forget this and it's easy marks

3) If you want to go above and beyond, use some AS/A-Level words

In your 9 and 12 mark questions, I always recommend people to use key words outside of the specification as you will not be marked down and you are instead showing the examiner that you know your stuff and you have also read around the subject

4) Timing, timing and timing!!

This is the one thing people struggle with all the time. If you are in Year 9/Year 10, I'd recommend you to practice your timing in exams and even in homework if it helps you speed up in any way. If you struggle with that, start your exam with the 9/12 marker and time yourself doing this. Give yourself 10 minutes for the 9 mark question and 14 minutes for your 12 mark question and then go back to the rest of the questions so at least that is out of the way

5) Understand your words

GCSE Business is very simple and does not require that much effort if you understand it from the start. Make sure you understand the words like "state", "analyse", "evaluate", "explain" and etc.

Hope this was useful and if you have any questions please ask, I'd be happy to answer.
Thank you.
What is MOPS?

Quick Reply

Latest