The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Junaid16
Yes,but,Economics is a social science,unlike the other 2. It also will provide the OP will evaluative skills & skills which are transferable to the real world. What will R.S give the OP,that English Lit or History cannot?

RS will give evaluative skills and other skills which are transferable to the real world too. What is economics going to give that R.S, English and history cannot?
Duckzilla
RS will give evaluative skills and other skills which are transferable to the real world too. What is economics going to give that R.S, English and history cannot?

What transferable skills does R.S provide? There is no need to resort to simply rephrasing my quote:confused: Also, Those 3 subjects are very similar,therefore may become boring,especially since OP wants a career in Law. That's why i'm saying that Economics would be a nice contrasting subject.
Reply 582
Duckzilla
What other subjects do you like? Subjects like foreign languages, geography, English literature and Religious studies aren't too constricting on future plans and open up lots of doors.

Well, I suppose I do like French but I don't know if I want to do it as an a-level.. I was looking to do a french course that my sixth form offers instead of taking it as a subject because I think I would enjoy learning it more without the pressure of exams..
Junaid16
What transferable skills does R.S provide? There is no need to resort to simply rephrasing my quote:confused: Also, Those 3 subjects are very similar,therefore may become boring,especially since OP wants a career in Law. That's why i'm saying that Economics would be a nice contrasting subject.

But the fact remains that even if Religious Studies is fairly similar the TC might find it intrinsically much more enjoyable than Economics.
Unkempt_One
But the fact remains that even if Religious Studies is fairly similar the TC might find it intrinsically much more enjoyable than Economics.

Tbf, she did state that she enjoys them equally, if i'm not mistaken.
Junaid16
Tbf, she did state that she enjoys them equally, if i'm not mistaken.

I'll believe you'll find that she said she likes English Literature, History, French and Critical Thinking equally. She didn't explicitly state what she thinks of RE
Reply 586
I'd do R.S. if I was you, Economics might open more doors generally speaking, but in terms of a law degree, heavy, essay writing subjects are ideal and I think R.S. would further compliment the others that you are taking. Also, it would allow for more scope in terms of debating philosophical ideas etc.
That said, economis is still valuable if you're wanting a law degree. So ultimately choose it on which you enjoy the most. Although personally I'd opt for R.S. over the two. x
tkay
Well, I suppose I do like French but I don't know if I want to do it as an a-level.. I was looking to do a french course that my sixth form offers instead of taking it as a subject because I think I would enjoy learning it more without the pressure of exams..

Is that the asset French course by any chance? If you don't like the pressure and structure of history exams then you need something to replace it with that won't constrict you too much. A-level French would be good for that, unless there's something else you would rather do instead.
Unkempt_One
I'll believe you'll find that she said she likes English Literature, History, French and Critical Thinking equally. She didn't explicitly state what she thinks of RE

Apologies, i'm speculating,but she doesn't appear to have a preference.
Reply 589
i dont know what A levels to do
i want to keep my options open for university
i am interested in law, accountancy, criminology and want to keep my options open

what A levels should i do considering that I am a B grade student at GCSE

LAW
BUSINESS
POLITICS
HISTORY
CHEMISTRY
SOCIOLOGY

out of these which should i do advice needed
Duckzilla

Thing is, R.S. may give all of those things, but like he said, that's nothing History and Lit can't do. Though an Economics degree would be out of the OP's reach without Maths, it may provide a different dimension to their studies. So to answer your question on what Economics can give them: variety. It may be, technically, an 'essay subject', but there is also a more technical side to it.

Edit: To the OP: I'd still recommend that you take R.S., but ONLY if you'd:
a) be able to keep up with the workload; and
b) not get too bored of it.
Nasri_08
i am interested in law, accountancy, criminology and want to keep my options open

LAW
BUSINESS
POLITICS
HISTORY
CHEMISTRY
SOCIOLOGY

Maths is a good A-level for all the university courses you're interested in and will be a necessity for accounting. I would suggest maths, chemistry, history and politics or a foreign language, they love foreign languages for law. Having A-level maths would also make it easier to get onto a chemistry degree since you obviously like chemistry and you may change your mind and want to do chemistry in the future.
History, Politics, Chemistry and Law....
Chemistry, Politics, Law and History.
Reply 594
You don't need to do Law to do anything with Law, so unless you have a particular interest in the A-level it doesn't really have benefits in terms of application. Business can be often seen as one of the weaker subjects.

Thought about Maths as well? (Just thinking in terms of anything accountancy-wise you'll likely need it).
Reply 595
Nasri_08

LAW No
BUSINESS No
POLITICS Yes
HISTORY Yes
CHEMISTRY Yes
SOCIOLOGY No

Easy
History is probably the most respected out of all of those for the subjects for subjects you are intending to apply for. Law A-level isn't strictly a good preparation for law just because it is the most relevant, in general Law schools will be more interested in hardcore essay-writing so I think you can safely scrap Law A-level from that list. That's about the extent of advice I can give, although I think you should expand that list somewhat. Maths, for example, would be very good for accountancy.
Reply 597
Chemistry, History, Politics, Business out of them; however, i would switch Politics and Business for Maths and Economics.
Nasri_08

LAW
BUSINESS
POLITICS
HISTORY
CHEMISTRY
SOCIOLOGY

I'd say just do the basic ones,sas maths and science subjects. You can never go wrong with those.
Reply 599
i hate maths

i was thinking business, soc, chemistry, politics

Latest