The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qwertyhjkl
Hi,

I have decided on History, Politics and Sociology to take for AS Level.

For my fourth I'm deciding between Law and Economics. Which subject is better between the two and which would go better with my three other choices?

Thank you.

Either would go well with your choices, but Economics is a bit more respected as a subject :smile:
I start Y12 next week and I was really happy with my A-Level choices until I started reading the History books I'd gotten from school. The topics we have to study are the Reformation and Gandhi, which I have no interest in and found extremely dull to read about. The only thing is, History A2 sounds better, because we study Mao and other topics I like. I like History in general, but I don't know if I can motivate myself to study topics I don't like.

As for Physics, I was really bad at it until Y10, then we got a good teacher who made me more interested. I got an A* in the iGCSE and my UMS was 198/200, and I've been told the AS is a lot easier with the iGCSE. My problem is, I'm not taking Maths, but I'm good at Maths and got an A* in the iGCSE so that shouldn't be too bad, although our teacher told us that AddMaths makes it easier. I did AddMaths but didn't do the exam as I didn't do very well in the mock.

Anyway, my other subjects are Economics, English Literature (Pre-U) and Japanese. And we have to take AS Critical Thinking. I'd only take History or Physics to AS unless I couldn't bear to give them up, as I want to study Japanese at university. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mikaela_pascal
Your going to self study all of those?

Yeah!
Original post by kiera28
Is Religious Studies, English Literature, Spanish and Art a good enough A Level combination to study law at a top uni? If I get good grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It should be. Many people take history but English lit and RS are both good essay subjects and many people do law with a language, so I don't see why those choices should give to a problem. Check the entry requirements of a uni you're interested in if you're not sure but you should be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
Is Economics, English Literature, Japanese and Physics a good combination? I want to study Japanese at university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, they look good! Check the entry requirements of a uni you're interested in but I don't see why it would be a problem :smile:

For your other post, as I said to someone last night you should be fine with A level physics without maths providing you're reasonable at algebra and trigonometry. That said, maths would open your options up for engineering, physics and economics courses at uni if you were to take change your mind, but if you were going to drop physics after AS anyway then it doesn't matter.

With the history thing, if you're going to drop it after AS anyway then there's really no point in taking it if you're not interested in the topics except just to have another essay subject, which you already have three of. You'll have to spend a lot of time on it and, if you have not interest in it, will really struggle to motivate yourself and it may bring your grade down overall so I wouldn't bother if I were you.

My experience of CT is that people either get it or they don't, and there's no point in trying to put the effort in to change that. I got an A with doing little work in the lessons and none outside (it was my only A, too :unimpressed:), others got Ds with loads of revision. It's a ridiculous subject IMO, but don't worry about it- just turn up to the sessions and take the exam at the end. If you do well, that's good, if you don't, no-one will care! :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by iii9
Thank you both for replying. :smile: Those were my views as well, and to be honest, I'm leaning towards RS as well, especially because I'm worried that I won't do as well in business if I opt for it since RS is definitely more interesting to me. Hopefully, I'll be able to change my options! :redface:

However, (sorry for dragging on) will it look bad if I do all art subjects?

Yeah definitely do what interests you most because you'll be more likely to work hard in those subjects

I don't know that it will necessarily look bad but it will close some doors, but then if you don't intend to do something which requires science subjects then that doesn't really matter. Certainly at my school their are a significant number of people taking only arts subjects and applying to really good uni's so it shouldn't matter
Original post by xtinalouise
Yeah!

Oh jeez, good luck gurl.
Original post by xtinalouise
I need to do Biology, Mathematics and Chemistry! :s-smilie:

Why? Unis only care about your first three grades. Doing more than 3 is unnecessary and doing more than 4 is seen as being stupid..only do 4+ if you know you'll get A*s in all of them or the universities will see it as a serious lack of judgement. What A levels are you planning on doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im doing Business Studies , Chemistry and Physics...
I need as much notes, revision materials and any other resources...
websites will do but already know tutor2u, a-levelchemsitry but would love to know others..
thank you.:smile:
Original post by Hellper
Im doing Business Studies , Chemistry and Physics...
I need as much notes, revision materials and any other resources...
websites will do but already know tutor2u, a-levelchemsitry but would love to know others..
thank you.:smile:

Getrevising can be good (can't remember if you have to pay or not though), I recently discovered memrise to help learn things and, as annoying as they are, CGP books are always helpful! Also look up te specifications for the courses you're doing (usually on the exam board websites) to help revise with, and there's a website I think just called A level physics or something that's pretty good :smile:b

Posted from TSR Mobile
Physics or further maths?
Original post by Invest
Physics or further maths?

with what and for what
Can someone message me personally on here and give me advice ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
HELP ME.
Basically when I am older i would love to be a Volcanologist. I have chosen Biology, chemistry, geology and geography for AS.
However people say it will be better to do maths instead of geography? I dont really like maths at all. Surely all the maths i need will he taught in geology and chemistry. Want a degree in geochemistry :smile:
Original post by Marcusroye98
HELP ME.
Basically when I am older i would love to be a Volcanologist. I have chosen Biology, chemistry, geology and geography for AS.
However people say it will be better to do maths instead of geography? I dont really like maths at all. Surely all the maths i need will he taught in geology and chemistry. Want a degree in geochemistry :smile:

I'd do maths instead of geography
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I'd do maths instead of geography

I honestly would do really bad in maths. The entry requirements said they just want chemistry. And they preffer if you have one other science and geology and geography are counted as a science. Would not doing maths be a massive problem??
I honestly would do really bad in maths. The entry requirements said they just want chemistry. And they preffer if you have one other science and geology and geography are counted as a science. Would not doing maths be a massive problem??

should be okay then...
Maybe because it's geochem
should be okay then...
Maybe because it's geochem

Thank-you because i dont know else i could with these AS levels. None of the universits say that maths is required so i dont know whats if i need it or not :frown:
Thank-you because i dont know else i could with these AS levels. None of the universits say that maths is required so i dont know whats if i need it or not :frown:

I think you could get in without but having it makes you better

But it's better to get an A in geography than a C in maths for example.
I think you could get in without but having it makes you better

But it's better to get an A in geography than a C in maths for example.

You dont understand how much that helped.
Geography GCse was my highest scoring GCSE and I think its a bit of a waste not to do it further.
Whereas maths i would struggle :\

Latest