The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

which one is better

Edexcel salters Nuffield Biology or
Advancing Physics B OCR
Reply 8741
Original post by kiera28
I'm not doing all of them! That'd be insane haha, I need to pick 4 for AS then I'll drop one and probs take up AS level Critical Thinking to help with the LNAT test. :smile:

Do you think I could manage an A in chem AS with an A at gcse?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely doable, AS is basically split into an understanding and math module and a facts module, as long as your strong at one of these and decent at the other, along with a decent practical (which is pretty straight forward) you should get an A no problem.

Are you planning on doing A2 chemistry?
Can you get a low B to an A* at A2 levels(I am assuming it's a B).I haven't been told the marks but I think they are somewhere in the middle.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Skill Twix
Can you get a low B to an A* at A2 levels(I am assuming it's a B).I haven't been told the marks but I think they are somewhere in the middle.

Potentially! For an A* you need 90% at A2 and 80% overall, so actually only 70% at AS which is a B. If you work hard you could still get it, I'd maybe be inclined to retake one module to make an A more likely if you miss the A* though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi
i've applied online to a college a week ago. The website emailed me to confirm my application. Beyond what I have already said, they have given me an offer or rejected me.

how long will it take for them to contact me

btw, I'm quite a strong candidate, 7+a* predictions
Original post by furryface12
Potentially! For an A* you need 90% at A2 and 80% overall, so actually only 70% at AS which is a B. If you work hard you could still get it, I'd maybe be inclined to retake one module to make an A more likely if you miss the A* though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers for the motivation :biggrin:
Original post by Skill Twix
Cheers for the motivation :biggrin:

:lol: No problem! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile
Im in year 12 now doing AS history psychology and maths, and A2 ( got an A at AS german in year 11) i am most likely going to get an A* in german but im not sure if i should wait until year 13 or just carry on now because that would lead to me only having to do 2 A2 subjects next year( finish one in year 12 and drop an AS) , less stress next year, or could i drop an AS now and do it next year to reduce the stress and balance it out over the two years because either way I will have 3 A2 and 1 AS
Okay, so I am in year 11 and wanting to go into medicine and have a pretty good idea of the alevels I want to take. I am defiantly sure about chemistry, biology and maths as I love sciences so I would have taken them even if I was not interested In medicine, but what I am unsure about is my final option. I do not know whether to take English Lang lit, psychology or economics. The one I am most interested in is psychology, however our school does not have a good department and many lessons are out of hours and self studying and key. Economics would be interesting and I am good at maths so that's an option. And English Lang lit would be my obvious choice to get a balance however I am stuck on an A at gcse and no matter how hard I try I can't get to an A*, so I am worried I would struggle at A level. Can you give me any advice, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dream_and_wish
Okay, so I am in year 11 and wanting to go into medicine and have a pretty good idea of the alevels I want to take. I am defiantly sure about chemistry, biology and maths as I love sciences so I would have taken them even if I was not interested In medicine, but what I am unsure about is my final option. I do not know whether to take English Lang lit, psychology or economics. The one I am most interested in is psychology, however our school does not have a good department and many lessons are out of hours and self studying and key. Economics would be interesting and I am good at maths so that's an option. And English Lang lit would be my obvious choice to get a balance however I am stuck on an A at gcse and no matter how hard I try I can't get to an A*, so I am worried I would struggle at A level. Can you give me any advice, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can basically do whatever you like. If you love maths and sciences maybe physics as it wouldn't be much of a stretch (it's basically applied maths). Or go for a contrast? English lit? History? Art? A language? Whatever you enjoy and think you'll get a good grade in. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile
Im yr 12 and do maths, history , psychology and A2 german (got an A at AS in year 11,fluent speaker...) im slightly worried that i will get too stressed doing these four in year 12 but it would be benefitial for year 13 as i would have to do only 2 subjects because i'd drop an AS and complete German, i definatelt think i will get an A* in german and would like B's in my other subjects,would it be a good idea to just wait wait with A2 german til next year and just focus on maths,psych,and history or maybe drop history this year and do the AS course next year, I dont wanna do 4 whole A levels because no uni asks for 4 A levels I want 3 A2 and 1 AS, helps pleassse
Hello!! I am a mature applicant and want to take part in the exams of GCE A level. I am interested in Social Anthropology and chose GCE History, French and As Spanish. What would you advice me coz I want quidance. I am confused about GCE History unit 3 and 4. I am an individual learner and I really need your help. Thanks!!!!!!!
Original post by supergeek2411
Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile
Im yr 12 and do maths, history , psychology and A2 german (got an A at AS in year 11,fluent speaker...) im slightly worried that i will get too stressed doing these four in year 12 but it would be benefitial for year 13 as i would have to do only 2 subjects because i'd drop an AS and complete German, i definatelt think i will get an A* in german and would like B's in my other subjects,would it be a good idea to just wait wait with A2 german til next year and just focus on maths,psych,and history or maybe drop history this year and do the AS course next year, I dont wanna do 4 whole A levels because no uni asks for 4 A levels I want 3 A2 and 1 AS, helps pleassse

I would definitely advise doing four whole A levels, sorry! Many top universities want three A2s done in year 13 to show that you can cope with the workload, in addition to which they often exclude A levels done in someone's first language (you mention you're fluent, is it?) when counting your A levels as people should be able to do well in it with very little work. Sorry! :redface: If you're absolutely sure about not having four then do A2 German next year but be aware that they may not count it- it might be a good idea to email some universities and explain your situation before you decide :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by meliviamelivia
Hello!! I am a mature applicant and want to take part in the exams of GCE A level. I am interested in Social Anthropology and chose GCE History, French and As Spanish. What would you advice me coz I want quidance. I am confused about GCE History unit 3 and 4. I am an individual learner and I really need your help. Thanks!!!!!!!

What would you like to know about them? You might be better making your own thread in either the Mature Students forum or the A level one if it's something about the subjects specifically as many people on this thread are only just starting their A levels or are still at the stage of choosing them and I did none of those subjects. Sorry to not have been of more help :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah i am fluent, german is my first language and I know that they dont always count the A level in your language (which kind of makes sense but is also a bit **** since i do have to put the effort in, especially in A2) however i have checked a few unis like liverpool which do accept it despite being a native speaker, so next year, should i carry on with my other 3 A levels? So i end up with 4 Whole A levels, for example A*BBB/A*BBC , i do think i could definately achieve at least A* BB or better if i only do 3 whole A levels and one As
Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah i am fluent, german is my first language and I know that they dont always count the A level in your language (which kind of makes sense but is also a bit **** since i do have to put the effort in, especially in A2) however i have checked a few unis like liverpool which do accept it despite being a native speaker, so next year, should i carry on with my other 3 A levels? So i end up with 4 Whole A levels, for example A*BBB/A*BBC , i do think i could definately achieve at least A* BB or better if i only do 3 whole A levels and one As

Yeah I see your point but that that's just how it is I'm afraid, although you'll still have to do a lot less work than most people I'd imagine! It's good that you've checked some though :yep: I'd still advise you to do German A2 and your three others this year and carry on with three A2s next year, that way you won't be at a disadvantage from anywhere and you might actually be at an advantage from, say, Liverpool as you have four A levels where many others only have three :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys, I'm doing maths, physics, geography and design & technology.
Do you think the work load will be too much?
Having not done any gcse sciences (did a BTEC), will I be able to cope with Physics?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok thats true thanks, i do think i can cope with doing all but i guess i was just trying to avoid a bit of work, what do you think about re-taking gcses and are they that important?( im not aiming for the most competetive unis) i didnt literally no revision for gcses i was lazy as ****, ended up with mainly B's and C's would it be a good idea to re-take GCSE maths(current B) and GCSE additional maths (U) I'd be aiming for an A* and a B this time which i could definately get this time around..
Original post by mikaela_pascal
Guys, I'm doing maths, physics, geography and design & technology.
Do you think the work load will be too much?
Having not done any gcse sciences (did a BTEC), will I be able to cope with Physics?

Workload: As long as you manage your time well, don't leave homework too late etc, you should be fine
Physics: In my personal experience, I'd advise against Physics, having taken it at GCSE and then at AS and struggling massively at AS. But I'm not you, so personally I'd see how it goes and if by the end of the first term you're almost in tears w/frustration at difficulty, I'd advise switching.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok thats true thanks, i do think i can cope with doing all but i guess i was just trying to avoid a bit of work, what do you think about re-taking gcses and are they that important?( im not aiming for the most competetive unis) i didnt literally no revision for gcses i was lazy as ****, ended up with mainly B's and C's would it be a good idea to re-take GCSE maths(current B) and GCSE additional maths (U) I'd be aiming for an A* and a B this time which i could definately get this time around..

You have a pass in GCSE maths, so it's not really worth retaking. Focus on getting good AS grades.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I really wouldn't bother retaking any GCSEs, they'd only hold you back for medicine and the really top universities. Provided you have a pass in English and maths (which you do) there's no point, you'd be much better to get a grade higher in one of your A levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest