The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by Lawlet
What A level should people take if they want to do law?

There is no set of a levels really you MUST take to get into law, as some uni's have accepted people who have taken all sciences!
But I'd say you are best having Eng Lit, History, Maths at least, anything else is up to you really, opt for something you enjoy and could get a good grade in. (don't go for weak choices though or a level law; it is not needed)

Original post by Luna.
I'm wanting to study Computer Science at uni..
Am thinking;

Maths
Further Maths
Physics
History
English Literature
(History or English to AS only)

I fear that this is going to be a horrible workload, and maybe that I should take Lit & Lang instead? I'd like to apply for somewhere like Cambridge in the future, so I suppose I want to show then that I CAN manage a lot of work, but then if I can't and end up getting a B or C.. Hmm.
Also, it's not my preference to take 5 A Levels but the way my school works, if choosing Further Maths as well you do the whole of Maths in year 12, then year 13 do whole of Further Maths. (So need 5 subjects to fill up timetable).
Also, is it worth taking 2 essay based subjects if I want to end up doing something sciencey?

Thankyou!

I find if your a natural at maths, you will not be wasting much time on maths, FM and physics as you may think. So I think your workload will be fine, keep the options they're good.
Original post by Lawlet
What A level should people take if they want to do law?

History
Law
English
Government & Politcs
Economics
Philosophy
Religious Studies

Any of them I quess?
Reply 1382
hows economics? for med?
Original post by peanut65
hows economics? for med?

Not relevant. Shows 'breadth' though.
Reply 1384
Hey just got my higher(a level) choice form, exciting stuff!

I have a few questions to put to you ..

At the moment I'm really stuck between doing english or being a vet!
The potential highers i could do are Art, English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry,French.
what's the best course of action career wise? anyone here got experience of doing either at uni?
Original post by YingYang

I find if your a natural at maths, you will not be wasting much time on maths, FM and physics as you may think. So I think your workload will be fine, keep the options they're good.

This is true, there is a lot of overlap between maths, FM and physics so it's not too hard to do all three. I did 5 A-levels and was pretty busy but it was doable.
Reply 1386
English is a lot easier to get into and it opens up your options to so many different careers. To be a vet you have to get loads of work experience and amazing grades.
Reply 1387
Hey everyone :smile:

For A Levels I am taking:

Chemistry
Biology
Politics
Geography

Here are my GCSE targets

English: A
French: B
Geography: A
IT: A
Maths: B - an A can be achieved though, I am retaking a unit)
Music: Distinction (Equivalent of A and 2 GCSE's.)
RE: A
Science double award: A

I am sure of achieving all of them apart from French where I might get a C, and possibly RE, of getting a B.

I want to be a Doctor or a Surgeon, hence Chemistry and Biology, but Politics and Geography interest me. However, my biggest worry is not taking maths: Will I be disadvantaged by not taking maths? I could take it, but I find I struggle, even though I am getting a good grade (To be fair I am retaking the Unit 2 maths to get an A) but I just don't enjoy it and I can't see me excelling or having an interest for the next 2 years at sixth form. Should I take it despite this? I want to be a Doctor or a Surgeon, but would I be able to get into a medical school with these subjects at A level, and no maths? Plus if I don't get into a medical school or change my mind, my second interest would be law, so if I take maths, I would have my A levels based around medicine, whereas if I took 2 of both (which I am currently, Biology and Chemistry, and Politics and Geography, its even)

Also, on University websites, on offering courses, what does AAA grades at a level, or AAAB or such mean? Because the medicine course wants AAA, so does that mean they want 3 A grades at A level in Chemistry Biology and Maths? (I'm guessing maths as politics or geography aren't exactly medicine subjects)

Please help me I don't know what to do...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by nkf176
Hey everyone :smile:

For A Levels I am taking:

Chemistry
Biology
Politics
Geography

Here are my GCSE targets

English: A
French: B
Geography: A
IT: A
Maths: B - an A can be achieved though, I am retaking a unit)
Music: Distinction (Equivalent of A and 2 GCSE's.)
RE: A
Science double award: A

I am sure of achieving all of them apart from French where I might get a C, and possibly RE, of getting a B.

I want to be a Doctor or a Surgeon, hence Chemistry and Biology, but Politics and Geography interest me. However, my biggest worry is not taking maths: Will I be disadvantaged by not taking maths? I could take it, but I find I struggle, even though I am getting a good grade (To be fair I am retaking the Unit 2 maths to get an A) but I just don't enjoy it and I can't see me excelling or having an interest for the next 2 years at sixth form. Should I take it despite this? I want to be a Doctor or a Surgeon, but would I be able to get into a medical school with these subjects at A level, and no maths? Plus if I don't get into a medical school or change my mind, my second interest would be law, so if I take maths, I would have my A levels based around medicine, whereas if I took 2 of both (which I am currently, Biology and Chemistry, and Politics and Geography, its even)

Also, on University websites, on offering courses, what does AAA grades at a level, or AAAB or such mean? Because the medicine course wants AAA, so does that mean they want 3 A grades at A level in Chemistry Biology and Maths? (I'm guessing maths as politics or geography aren't exactly medicine subjects)

Please help me I don't know what to do...

Firstly, surgeons are doctors. :fyi:

You don't need maths to do medicine and you will not disadvantaged if you don't do it. (There is only one college in Cambridge that actually specifies you must have maths.)

AAA means you need to get As in three subjects at A2, subject to specific requirements (ie, one must be chem etc...).

Concentrate on those GCSEs for now though.
Reply 1389
Thats good. I'm pretty sure I want to do Geography, but what would be a good subject to back up medicine other than maths or physics?
Original post by nkf176
Thats good. I'm pretty sure I want to do Geography, but what would be a good subject to back up medicine other than maths or physics?

A subject you can do well in/enjoy.
Reply 1391
Would you say it is a bad idea to take

Maths
Further maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics

I'm good at all these subjects and I want to study something maths or science related at uni. Or do you think I should take a different 5th subject to show breadth?
I am thinking of taking

Maths
English lit
Psychology

But for my 4th option I am debating should I take German or Biology? I'm worried that german may not be helpful, although I don't really have any career options in mind.
Original post by Catiexx
Would you say it is a bad idea to take

Maths
Further maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics

I'm good at all these subjects and I want to study something maths or science related at uni. Or do you think I should take a different 5th subject to show breadth?

If you want to do maths/science at uni, those are fine.
Hey everyone, could you help me in deciding what I should take.

This is what I am definately taking next year:

Chemistry
Maths
Politics

I want to do either Accountancy, Law or Chemical Engineering at Uni and career wise.

The next subject I want to take should be academic, but I can't choose, either Geography, History or English (lit) Personally I would prefer to do Geography as its probably my strongest subject now, But is it academical and will it help me get into my uni choices? I didn't take History at GCSE, but it interests me and would help with Law, but I'm not so sure about the others. And then English as apparently its well regarded. I'm doing well in English currently, but I'm not sure if I'd be good at it, or have the determination and .. passion? or wanting to do it.. and I don't read that often.. Although that should change.. I was also maybe thinking Psychology but I have no idea..
What should I pick? My options should let me get into all of these (seeing as I haven't picked what exactly I want to be yet :rolleyes:) but what should I choose?
(edited 13 years ago)
Hey.

So, I wanna study International Relations, Politics, Law something.

I chose there A levels:
Lithuanian (well, just cause I live in Lithuania and I must take it)
English
Geography
History
Biology

What about Maths..? Should I take it or not..? I really don't want so much, I hate it... :biggrin:
Original post by lollage123
Hey everyone, could you help me in deciding what I should take.

This is what I am definately taking next year:

Chemistry
Maths
Politics

I want to do either Accountancy, Law or Chemical Engineering at Uni and career wise.

The next subject I want to take should be academic, but I can't choose, either Geography, History or English (lit) Personally I would prefer to do Geography as its probably my strongest subject now, But is it academical and will it help me get into my uni choices? I didn't take History at GCSE, but it interests me and would help with Law, but I'm not so sure about the others. And then English as apparently its well regarded. I'm doing well in English currently, but I'm not sure if I'd be good at it, or have the determination and .. passion? or wanting to do it.. and I don't read that often.. Although that should change.. I was also maybe thinking Psychology but I have no idea..
What should I pick? My options should let me get into all of these (seeing as I haven't picked what exactly I want to be yet :rolleyes:) but what should I choose?

Geography is fine and is generally seen as a strong hard A level.
Hello everyone, I'd appreciate any help in deciding what I should take.

I'm definitely taking:

Biology
English Literature
History

I'm not sure whether to do Psychology or Economics. I'm aware that the latter subject is deemed more suitable by universities, but I'm really not sure.

What should I choose?
Original post by Templar49

I'm definitely taking:

Biology
English Literature
History

I'm not sure whether to do Psychology or Economics. I'm aware that the latter subject is deemed more suitable by universities, but I'm really not sure.

What should I choose?

Any idea what you want to do after?

If not then you already have 3 strong options so either of the subjects you listed would be fine, so go for which ever you are most interested in. Economics is probably slightly better regarded by top unis, but psychology isn't on the complete blacklist for top unis, but normally on the it's ok so long as your other options are 'hard' subjects (which yours are)...so even if your aiming for the top unis either subject should be fine.
Original post by Templar49

I'm definitely taking:

Biology
English Literature
History

What should I choose?

My cousin has done Eng Lit, History, Psychology and Economics and we talk about her school work. So I know something about all 4 subjects.

Psychology and Economics are both really interesting in their own way. Either one would complement your choices nicely. She has had Law offers from all 5 unis that she applied to with her A in Psychology - not one uni suggested it was not 'rigorous' enough. In fact the insight it gives into human behaviour is interesting. It is also helpful in helping you think about the way we learn (so applied study skills)

It basically depends on which one you think you will get a better grade in - or if you have a specific career option that requires you to take either.

Latest