The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cheesecakefactory
Rank these in difficulty of me getting an A:

Economics (AS and A2)
Psychology (AS and A2)
Physics (AS and A2)

My stronger points are Maths and Sciences, and I'm weaker at English and History.

Physics
Economics
Psychology

??? Given that you're better at sciences, you should be better at physics. and physics is modular, so you can resit, and its less to learn. the modules dont really get much harder as you progress.
like i said its hard to tell between economics and pyschology, but ive known people just fail (literally) at psychology, suggesting its harder?
Original post by NjlxMDk
Thanks for the reply. My school is a grammar school which means it sticks to very academic subjects (Polotics and Philosophy of Religion are about the most extreme). As for your Economics point, the course my school does is Business & Economics combined in one A-Level.

The subjects I've chosen are the ones I enjoy the most and will get the best marks in. To be honest, I am maybe doubting my choices because of what other people are taking (lots of people who go to school here are really into science and maths ect.)

I think if I take what a enjoy and am successful in, I'm almost certain to do one of those subjects at Uni.

Thanks for the reply. I really don't see the point in me taking Science/Maths and then getting poor results just because that will give me the best options. As I said to the person above, I should take the subjects I enjoy & do best in..

Oh agreed, but be warned that you might not get in for english (if that's what you want) without another essay subject.
Reply 1582
Original post by SparksInTheSky
Oh agreed, but be warned that you might not get in for english (if that's what you want) without another essay subject.

I'm not sure I agree with this - I've gotten in for English two years running and my other essay subject is Film Studies, which isn't exactly respected... as long as his PS and AS grades are good he stands as much chance as anyone :dontknow:
Reply 1583
Hi! I'm thinking of taking maths, physics and classical civilisation but i'm stuck as to which subject to pick for my fourth choice. I don't particularly like anything outside these three subjects so does anybody know which one I could choose that would complement them or open up more doors?
Thanks =]
Original post by Pikachu
Hi! I'm thinking of taking maths, physics and classical civilisation but i'm stuck as to which subject to pick for my fourth choice. I don't particularly like anything outside these three subjects so does anybody know which one I could choose that would complement them or open up more doors?
Thanks =]

Philosophy would look like the most natural choice to me, it could allow you to do some physics/philosophy course if you wanted.
Original post by Anonymous666
Hi i don't know if this is the right place to post it and im quite new to TSR so please would someone be able to help.

I am thinking of my A-level choices on what to study. I would like to persue a career in aerospace engineering. This A-level choices i can chose are: Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, DT and computing. However Maths and Physics are compulsary to A2.

So i have to chose 2 extra options but i unsure whether to take further maths and DT but i plan on going to university to do engineering.

Thanks in Advance

Definitely physics, maths and further maths (the top unis will expect further for physics/engineering) - then it won't matter - just pick your fave. DT is probably seen as a less worthy subject though.
Original post by Pikachu
Thanks =]

further maths would be good for physics (top unis like it) and for maths - an essay subject for classics
Original post by Vekeh
I'm not sure I agree with this - I've gotten in for English two years running and my other essay subject is Film Studies, which isn't exactly respected... as long as his PS and AS grades are good he stands as much chance as anyone :dontknow:

It depends where you're applying - the top unis want two traditional essay subjects, but yeah, the others won't mind
Reply 1588
It depends where you're applying - the top unis want two traditional essay subjects, but yeah, the others won't mind

I'm still gonna disagree, unless Warwick, York, Exeter, Leeds, KCL etc etc aren't top unis :erm: Yes, an additional essay subject helps (traditional or not). But that's all it does.* It won't be the deciding factor on whether or not you're given a place.

*possibly with the exception of Oxford, Cambridge and maybe Durham, in which case, yeah, two or more is generally a good idea. Even then I'm sure they will accept people with more science-based subjects :dontknow:
Original post by Vekeh
I'm still gonna disagree, unless Warwick, York, Exeter, Leeds, KCL etc etc aren't top unis :erm: Yes, an additional essay subject helps (traditional or not). But that's all it does.* It won't be the deciding factor on whether or not you're given a place.

*possibly with the exception of Oxford, Cambridge and maybe Durham, in which case, yeah, two or more is generally a good idea. Even then I'm sure they will accept people with more science-based subjects :dontknow:

Yeah, you're right - nothing is essential. And I was largely thinking of Oxbridge - obviously most people aren't aiming for that. But if it helps, shouldn't he/she stay on the safe side? Isn't it best to go for the subjects which will be accepted by everywhere?
Reply 1590
Yeah, you're right - nothing is essential. And I was largely thinking of Oxbridge - obviously most people aren't aiming for that. But if it helps, shouldn't he/she stay on the safe side? Isn't it best to go for the subjects which will be accepted by everywhere?

Which is mostly why I said it wasn't necessary. I know which I'd choose out of changing my choices to fit two universities offering courses that I might not even be interested in studying, as opposed to choosing choices that interest me more, that I feel I'd get better grades in, and would still be able to choose from every other university in the country...

I see where you're coming from, but given that they've said they don't even know what course they want to study, I don't think that they should be tailoring their choices on the off chance that they might want to do English at Oxbridge (which I still feel they would have a shot at should they decide to).
Original post by Vekeh
Which is mostly why I said it wasn't necessary. I know which I'd choose out of changing my choices to fit two universities offering courses that I might not even be interested in studying, as opposed to choosing choices that interest me more, that I feel I'd get better grades in, and would still be able to choose from every other university in the country...

I see where you're coming from, but given that they've said they don't even know what course they want to study, I don't think that they should be tailoring their choices on the off chance that they might want to do English at Oxbridge (which I still feel they would have a shot at should they decide to).

But the user we are talking about didn't say (I think) what kind of university they were aiming for. Therefore I was simply warning them that if s/he was aiming for Oxbridge/that level, or even just considering it, s/he should take two essay subjects, to be on the safe side. Obviously if that's not where they are aiming for, then they should do what they enjoy. But if they may want a shot at it, then they shouldn't make it more difficult for themselves simply by choosing the wrong subjects.
Hey I'm doing English at university which I plan to continue but I want to make a straight switch to the sciences when I'm done. Has anyone ever done that?
Reply 1593
was wondering of anyone could help me. i am thinking about doing an English lit degree at uni. I have chosen the subjects pyschology, english lit & Lang, sociology and photography for a level. I am thinking about changing photography cus I'm hoping to get into a good uni and I'd hate for that to ruin my chances? could I get any opinions on wether or not my choices are good or bad? oh and sorry if I'm typing stupid, I'm on my iPod.
Reply 1594
Original post by imyza
was wondering of anyone could help me. i am thinking about doing an English lit degree at uni. I have chosen the subjects pyschology, english lit & Lang, sociology and photography for a level. I am thinking about changing photography cus I'm hoping to get into a good uni and I'd hate for that to ruin my chances? could I get any opinions on wether or not my choices are good or bad? oh and sorry if I'm typing stupid, I'm on my iPod.

If you're aiming for top unis it is much much much better to have English Lit, rather than combied Lit and Lang (I presume that's what you meant, and not both subjects separately?). If you do combined you're facing an uphill fight, as you'll have to be able to prove that you're as good at analysing texts as a person who has done straight Lit, which, barring Oxbridge/UCL who ask for you to submit work, can be difficult to prove using just your personal statement. If you can't take straight Lit then don't worry, but that will have to be mentioned in your application.

Also, I would suggest that you take another essay based subject, as it shows commitment and ability (provided that you do well, ofc). History is very popular choice, but you can't go wrong with Politics, Philosophy, RS, Classics, etc etc. Obviously only take one (or two) of those if you're actually interested in the subjects though. I would say an essay subject should take priority over one of Psychology or Sociology. Taking one of those is perfectly fine (I did Psychology, and I know many other English applicants who have), but taking both may not do you any favours, given that there are 'stronger' subjects you could be doing.

I would advise against Photography, and I'm speaking from experience. I've applied for Eng Lit two years running, and Photography is my AS. I got a good grade in it, but other than that I don't think it has helped my application, in comparison to a person who took, say, AS French. That said, if you genuinely enjoy it, go for it! I have managed to get into top unis both years that I've applied, so it is not impossible.

Also, if it interests you, you could think about picking up a language. Unis like to see these (especially if you're interested in English), and not as many people do them. They are difficult though, so I wouldn't suggest taking one if you're not fully committed.

Basically though, your subject choice is good. It's completely fine if those are the subjects that interest you most (and at the end of the day that is the most important thing); though you could find some unis (Oxbridge and Durham in particular) are not overly impressed with your choices. It wouldn't be unheard of for you to get into either of those with your subjects, but you would be at a distinct disadvantage.
Reply 1595
Original post by Vekeh
If you're aiming for top unis it is much much much better to have English Lit, rather than combied Lit and Lang (I presume that's what you meant, and not both subjects separately?). If you do combined you're facing an uphill fight, as you'll have to be able to prove that you're as good at analysing texts as a person who has done straight Lit, which, barring Oxbridge/UCL who ask for you to submit work, can be difficult to prove using just your personal statement. If you can't take straight Lit then don't worry, but that will have to be mentioned in your application.

Also, I would suggest that you take another essay based subject, as it shows commitment and ability (provided that you do well, ofc). History is very popular choice, but you can't go wrong with Politics, Philosophy, RS, Classics, etc etc. Obviously only take one (or two) of those if you're actually interested in the subjects though. I would say an essay subject should take priority over one of Psychology or Sociology. Taking one of those is perfectly fine (I did Psychology, and I know many other English applicants who have), but taking both may not do you any favours, given that there are 'stronger' subjects you could be doing.

I would advise against Photography, and I'm speaking from experience. I've applied for Eng Lit two years running, and Photography is my AS. I got a good grade in it, but other than that I don't think it has helped my application, in comparison to a person who took, say, AS French. That said, if you genuinely enjoy it, go for it! I have managed to get into top unis both years that I've applied, so it is not impossible.

Also, if it interests you, you could think about picking up a language. Unis like to see these (especially if you're interested in English), and not as many people do them. They are difficult though, so I wouldn't suggest taking one if you're not fully committed.

Basically though, your subject choice is good. It's completely fine if those are the subjects that interest you most (and at the end of the day that is the most important thing); though you could find some unis (Oxbridge and Durham in particular) are not overly impressed with your choices. It wouldn't be unheard of for you to get into either of those with your subjects, but you would be at a distinct disadvantage.

Wow! Didn't expect anyone to be this helpful, i really appreciate it! I can't do english lit as a single a level because my school is quite small, so i best hope i get a real good grade in lit and lang combined then i suppose! I think i'm now going to try take history at a level even if it means being sent out of my school for that lesson although i didn't do history at gcse! I might even try do another one of those essay based subjects. Shame i can't do a language because they don't offer it and i haven't done it at gcse really. Thanks for all your help and hopefully in a couple of years time i'll have been accepted into a real good uni :-)
Hey..I'm back :smile:lol..okay I have narrowed my choices down to English history economics and maths...too many essay subjects? Will I be spending most of the next two years doing nothing but essays? Anyone doing any of those subjects- how bad is the workload really?
Information removed by Silverwing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1598
Original post by thediamonds
Hello there! It is me again :smile: The school that I am applying to informed me that I can't choose maths, english literature and history at the same time due to their silly schedule, I have to choose one of them :s-smilie: What do you think of my current choice?
maths
english language
geography
business studies
or
history
english language
geography
business studies
I would like to pursue a career in business, marketing, advertising or public relations.

Oh im really sorry its so disappointing when you can't have the choices you're after :frown: Ok so basically choosing between maths or history? I have to say maths is more related to your choice of career direction, however if you are wanting to do one of those subjects at university i can't see that maths is a requirement - it most likely isnt. Therefore i strongly suggest you go for the one that you enjoy most and do best in as it is going to be the high results that give you a competitive edge, not the subject you have taken. Maths and history are both in the higher tier of subject and both equally valued. Let me know how you get on:smile:
Hello!

I've practically firmed up my options for A Levels now (Maths, Physics, Economics and Computing) and will definitely take up Further Maths in the upper sixth (dropping a subject in place of it). I know I can handle Maths well (I find FSMQ straightforward and obtained 100 on C1) and I plan to study Maths at Oxbridge (that's the dream!) as I enjoy it a lot and it's a passion of mine. But I'm becoming a tad worried about the suitability of my A Level choices.

Firstly - should I take Chemistry instead of Computing? Will this be seen as more favourable or will Computing put me in a better position (I plan on taking logic components should I get to Oxbridge...)? I know for a fact I'd enjoy Computing more, but am worried that it's not considered that highly. Any advice?

Secondly - as far as I'm aware, the recommended A2 choices from Oxbridge include Maths, FM and Physics, all of which I will likely take. For my last A2 option thus, I could choose either Economics or Computing. Now, I've heard rumours that Computing isn't as rigorous as 'harder' subjects - is this the case or would it be advisable to take this over Economics? I'd probably prefer Economics to be honest, and I understand I'm pre-assuming (not even on the course yet...!) but good to collate opinions. Again, Computing could be more useful in context.

I tried some digging away on the Cambridge website and found under the admissions guide for maths: "[...] As for other A-level or AS-level subjects, you should just choose the subjects you enjoy most. [...]" Presumably, this means I can get away with Maths + FM + Physics and either CS or Economics?

Sorry for the text - just getting a bit paranoid! Oh, and ultimately is it just your persona at interview that gets you in or choices? Many questions... Thanks in advance.

tl;dr: Computing over Chemistry for AS? Computing over Economics for A2?

Latest