The Student Room Group

I think I've picked the wrong degree second time round please help

Hello

I'm currently on a Gap Year, and I hold a firm for Psychology at a great university that I cannot wait to go too... however the subject is a bit of an issue. I rushed into applying to Psychology after changing my mind therefore the gap year... I have decided recently that Primary School teaching is definitely for me.. and found the most perfect course which is a combination of education, Psychology and childhood development. However.... I phoned them up and they said 'theoretically they would accept me' however I have to wait until clearing to see if they have any spaces and phone them on results day..

If I don't get my firm then I will just be released into clearing as I cannot bear the thought of going to my Insurance.. but I really don't know what to do I'm so cut up that I've made the wrong decision, but if I risk clearing I risk having to take ANOTHER gap year.. and I cannot do that.. please could I have some advice from any one in the same situation?

Thank you
Do a psychology degree and then a PGCE.
In that way if teaching doesn't turn out to be for you, and a very large percentage leave teaching in the first 3 years, then with a psychology degree you've got a degree of some use outside teaching, unlike a straight teaching degree.
Reply 2
hypocriticaljap
Do a psychology degree and then a PGCE.
In that way if teaching doesn't turn out to be for you, and a very large percentage leave teaching in the first 3 years, then with a psychology degree you've got a degree of some use outside teaching, unlike a straight teaching degree.

Speaks the truth! My friend is going to do a Primary Education Degree, and although they are confident it's all they want to do as their job, I'd hate to be limited to one specific profession.
Reply 3
That's true it does give more opportunities, thanks guys
From your description of the course you'd like to do, does it actually give you QTS status at the end of the course or is it simply education studies or early childhood studies or something similar? As if you're not going to get QTS status out of it (only a primary education and/or early years degree would give you this) then you'd still have to do a PGCE at the end of the 3 years anyway. Meaning by doing this course now you wouldn't actually be helping yourself in the long run, so this is something to consider.

As has been said, a PGCE would be open to you in 3 years time - applicants do not need to have a national curriculum degree subject and people come from a variety of backgrounds. My degree isn't a NC subject but its very relevant to education and this was commented on in my interviews (I'm doing a Primary PGCE in September). Psychology is very applicable to education, particularly if you studied some education related modules/did your dissertation on something in education.

Have a wee think over the next month and then when clearing comes along decide what to do - the uni may end up having a space to let you transfer courses, but if they don't then you do have other options without having a gap year.
you are doing a vocational degree, its quite easy, if you work, to get a 1st.
Smile_Please
Hello

I'm currently on a Gap Year, and I hold a firm for Psychology at a great university that I cannot wait to go too... however the subject is a bit of an issue. I rushed into applying to Psychology after changing my mind therefore the gap year... I have decided recently that Primary School teaching is definitely for me.. and found the most perfect course which is a combination of education, Psychology and childhood development. However.... I phoned them up and they said 'theoretically they would accept me' however I have to wait until clearing to see if they have any spaces and phone them on results day..

If I don't get my firm then I will just be released into clearing as I cannot bear the thought of going to my Insurance.. but I really don't know what to do I'm so cut up that I've made the wrong decision, but if I risk clearing I risk having to take ANOTHER gap year.. and I cannot do that.. please could I have some advice from any one in the same situation?

Thank you

You will probably change your mind about teaching, most people do. Just do a pgce, or find a course that gives you qts at the end at least.
Reply 7
dunnoaboutme
you are doing a vocational degree, its quite easy, if you work, to get a 1st.

How is that relevant to my question/how is Psychology/Education a vocational degree?
Reply 8
oxymoronic
From your description of the course you'd like to do, does it actually give you QTS status at the end of the course or is it simply education studies or early childhood studies or something similar? As if you're not going to get QTS status out of it (only a primary education and/or early years degree would give you this) then you'd still have to do a PGCE at the end of the 3 years anyway. Meaning by doing this course now you wouldn't actually be helping yourself in the long run, so this is something to consider.

As has been said, a PGCE would be open to you in 3 years time - applicants do not need to have a national curriculum degree subject and people come from a variety of backgrounds. My degree isn't a NC subject but its very relevant to education and this was commented on in my interviews (I'm doing a Primary PGCE in September). Psychology is very applicable to education, particularly if you studied some education related modules/did your dissertation on something in education.

Have a wee think over the next month and then when clearing comes along decide what to do - the uni may end up having a space to let you transfer courses, but if they don't then you do have other options without having a gap year.

Thank you very much.. that's true, the Education/Psychology course does not offer QTS so i would still be doing the PGCE at the end of the course.. I think my doubts are rooted in whether Psychology is the right course for me... good plan to wait til results day and just see what happens from there.. after all I can't do anything until then
Thanks again
Read today's press about the virtual ending of clearing this year. You'll be lucky to get anything in clearing.

Latest

Trending

Trending