The Student Room Group

Feeling Down

I was having a good day until I noticed my results for my modules had come through, I've passed every assessment I've ever had so far and have done really well, but I failed one of my exams - to be exact; half a module and need to resit it.

Is this normal? I feel awful, I've just completed my second year and whilst this one module isn't going to affect my grade - I just feel like I've ruined everything.

Does anyone have any similar experiences, or a study plan that works? This situation just sounds like a bad joke :/
Original post by Anonymous
I was having a good day until I noticed my results for my modules had come through, I've passed every assessment I've ever had so far and have done really well, but I failed one of my exams - to be exact; half a module and need to resit it.

Is this normal? I feel awful, I've just completed my second year and whilst this one module isn't going to affect my grade - I just feel like I've ruined everything.

Does anyone have any similar experiences, or a study plan that works? This situation just sounds like a bad joke :/

I can relate imagine thinking you had a stellar of a year in level 5 on course to get a 2:1 and level 6 happens to be cruel and you happen to miss out on a 2:1 by 4%
Reply 2
Original post by Mohammed_80
I can relate imagine thinking you had a stellar of a year in level 5 on course to get a 2:1 and level 6 happens to be cruel and you happen to miss out on a 2:1 by 4%

Damn.
I'm really sorry to hear that, third year is the worst :frown:

My situation is that I've just done my second year and am 2% off a First and then this one exam from a random module gets in my way - I don't know how this happened, but it's stressing me out because I'm doubting myself if I can even pass it. I've passed the practical, but the theory is what's tripped me up here.
Damn.
I'm really sorry to hear that, third year is the worst :frown:

My situation is that I've just done my second year and am 2% off a First and then this one exam from a random module gets in my way - I don't know how this happened, but it's stressing me out because I'm doubting myself if I can even pass it. I've passed the practical, but the theory is what's tripped me up here.

Don’t doubt yourself you can do it do you know when you can sit that exam and how much is second year worth for you
It’s totally okay to feel down for some time. You will have to make some additional effort and you might be disappointed that it didn’t go as well as you wanted - of course it makes you uncomfortable. Try not be hard with yourself, couple of “mental health” days could be helpful: some tasty food, physical activity etc. Just remember that it’ll pass and you won’t feel anyway the same about that next year.
Get some rest for now, you did a great job!
Reply 5

In this respect Durham University is cruel, my two roommate's in the final year, one got 69.9 in her mathematics degree and the other got 69.6 in his geography degree... both expected to be rounded up so appealed.. with no luck...so so cruel to miss out on a first by so little.
Original post by BrainDrain
In this respect Durham University is cruel, my two roommate's in the final year, one got 69.9 in her mathematics degree and the other got 69.6 in his geography degree... both expected to be rounded up so appealed.. with no luck...so so cruel to miss out on a first by so little.

Yeah but then again it’s a 2:1 they walk away with the feeling of a 2:2 just lowers your moral so badly you feel like a failure or flop.
Reply 7
Don’t doubt yourself you can do it do you know when you can sit that exam and how much is second year worth for you

Thank you, I checked out the exams page and I have a month until the period supplementary exams take place, I don't know exactly when my exam will be, but I still have at least a month to revise (luckily this exam covers half the module content). My second year is worth 20% of my degree, I've done 120 credits this year, so this module will get dropped in terms of grading (because it will be my lowest one) and wouldn't be affecting my grade I have so far.
Reply 8
Original post by sstteeffffyy
It’s totally okay to feel down for some time. You will have to make some additional effort and you might be disappointed that it didn’t go as well as you wanted - of course it makes you uncomfortable. Try not be hard with yourself, couple of “mental health” days could be helpful: some tasty food, physical activity etc. Just remember that it’ll pass and you won’t feel anyway the same about that next year.
Get some rest for now, you did a great job!

Thank you so much for your kind words, I'm feeling better today now that the thought has sunk in. I'll definitely make time for myself and get a lot of revision done I'm considering 4 hours a day of revision and am thinking of contacting the lecturer for the module closer to the time of the exam to ask for any advice as to what topics may pop up on the exam.
Anon,

It is so good to hear that you are feeling better. It is pretty rubbish to have done so well but to have to revise for half a module!

It is frustrating, especially with the good summer weather and the hard work you have put in for your other exams.

I think the best way to think about it is, to just get through this, try and manage your revision (bit by bit), and don't take anything for granted next year!

Let this setback be fuel for the third year.

All the best!

You can do it!!!

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 10
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Anon,

It is so good to hear that you are feeling better. It is pretty rubbish to have done so well but to have to revise for half a module!

It is frustrating, especially with the good summer weather and the hard work you have put in for your other exams.

I think the best way to think about it is, to just get through this, try and manage your revision (bit by bit), and don't take anything for granted next year!

Let this setback be fuel for the third year.

All the best!

You can do it!!!

Thank you so much, I appreciate it!
I definitely will use this as motivation for my third year and will try my best :smile:

Hey!

I totally understand why you would be feeling this way! I’m a second year student at ARU and had a similar experience in one of my last assignments. I got a much lower grade than I normally get and I felt really disappointed with myself.

I have spoke to a friend of mine who has always been a great support with uni life. He told me not to worry, that everyone has at least one assignment or exam that they struggle with!

Don’t worry about having to resit the exam. Just focus on figuring out where you went wrong. I would reach out to your personal tutor and ask for some advice. Get some clarification on what exactly you missed and how you can ensure you will pass next time. I reached out to my tutor and she’s been great and giving me additional advice on all the above!

Does your university have any study support? At ARU we have a team called Study Skills and they can help with anything study related. We can even get a number of one-on-one sessions for support. Maybe see if you can access something similar at your university.

Don’t be disheartened. I know it’s disappointing but it sounds like you’re doing really well so far! Don’t give up, you’ve totally got this 💪

I hope this helps. Good luck taking the next exam!

Sophie (ARU) :smile:
Thank you so much, I appreciate it!
I definitely will use this as motivation for my third year and will try my best :smile:

Anon,

Good for you!

All the best,

Reply 13
Update:

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words and motivating me! I was feeling really depressed with my grade and the resit situation, but after studying vigorously and resitting my exam - I passed with a grade 3 times higher than my original score! :smile:

Thanks again, for encouraging me, I'm working hard on preparing for my final year now - I appreciated all the encouragement :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending