The Student Room Group

Chose the wrong degree and wrong job choice

Hi All,

I’m 24 years old I’m a quantity surveyor for one of the top construction firms in the UK. I chose quantity surveying purely on a money basis. I was told by a load of people go be a QS you’ll go make a load of money. So I did l. I got one of the top grades in my year (75%-76% first overall I think it was).

Now I don’t say all this to gloat I just want to give people an image of the bigger picture that I didn’t flop my degree now I want a get out of jail free card.

Now recently I picked up the hobby of music production and instantly fell in love with it. Realised this is what I want to do. Whether I’m a lecturer to a Sound engineer. I don’t care I love everything about music. Spend every hour I’m not at work learning about it.

Now I’m stuck on what to do and what options are available to me. I’ve used my three years so I’m sure I’ll have to pay for uni (which I don’t think I can afford). But I’m just looking for a way out because I’ve now found my passion in life and don’t want to spend a moment longer not working towards that.

Cheers guys,
Original post by Anonymous
Hi All,

I’m 24 years old I’m a quantity surveyor for one of the top construction firms in the UK. I chose quantity surveying purely on a money basis. I was told by a load of people go be a QS you’ll go make a load of money. So I did l. I got one of the top grades in my year (75%-76% first overall I think it was).

Now I don’t say all this to gloat I just want to give people an image of the bigger picture that I didn’t flop my degree now I want a get out of jail free card.

Now recently I picked up the hobby of music production and instantly fell in love with it. Realised this is what I want to do. Whether I’m a lecturer to a Sound engineer. I don’t care I love everything about music. Spend every hour I’m not at work learning about it.

Now I’m stuck on what to do and what options are available to me. I’ve used my three years so I’m sure I’ll have to pay for uni (which I don’t think I can afford). But I’m just looking for a way out because I’ve now found my passion in life and don’t want to spend a moment longer not working towards that.

Cheers guys,

Also to add to this I do enjoy my current job it’s just not what I’m passionate about at all. Never in my life have I been passionate in the way I am about music. I was never music minded in high school so I kind of missed the boat the first time round. Now on a second pass I realise my love for it.
I've moved your thread to a more appropriate place in the forums. In future, please check if your thread could be posted elsewhere. Thank-you!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi All,

Cheers guys,

Hello!

Have you thought about doing an MA? You will likely be able to get a student loan for this and will give you the qualifications and contacts that you need to more easily change industry. If you are knowledgeable about music and have a conversation with a tutor, they may give you a shot.

You are still so early into your working life, if you've found what you love - try and go for it! I think on average we will have 5-6 different careers in our lifetimes now - your other qualifications and experience aren't going anywhere, you can always go back to work if things don't work out quite how you expect them to.

Good luck!

Jenny - a rep from Arts University Plymouth.
Reply 4
I regret going to university. So I said f-it. Go into working for tech instead via apprenticeship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending