The Student Room Group

Dentistry 5th option

For those applying to dentistry, what is your 5th option, (especially since your personal statement discusses dentistry only)? Would you choose dental hygiene and therapy and go into dentistry later on?
i would like to know too!
Reply 2
Original post by ayesha14
For those applying to dentistry, what is your 5th option, (especially since your personal statement discusses dentistry only)? Would you choose dental hygiene and therapy and go into dentistry later on?

First time I applied I put optometry with a fully dentistry application and got an offer and I know some people also get offers the same way with pharmacy but depends on the uni u r applying too. Second time round i just applied to 4 unis.
Reply 3
Original post by drdent
First time I applied I put optometry with a fully dentistry application and got an offer and I know some people also get offers the same way with pharmacy but depends on the uni u r applying too. Second time round i just applied to 4 unis.

Did you get accepted into any dental schools first time round? And what uni did you apply for optometry?
Reply 4
For 5th choices, many Unis will either ignore your PS for Dent and just consider you on your grades OR will email you to ask for a 2nd PS. Dont try and write a PS that covers two different subjects - focus entirely on Dentistry.

And do not also apply for Dental Hygiene/Therapy. Its a career in its own right and if its clear from your PS that you actually want to be a Dentist, your application will often go to the back of the queue.

Instead, look at degrees like ...... Pharmacy, Pharmacology, Neuroscience, Biochemistry, Natural Sciences, Chemistry etc. Or don't have a 5th choice, and if you dont get a Dent offer then either reapply the following year, or pick up a non-Dent place in Clearing.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Did you get accepted into any dental schools first time round? And what uni did you apply for optometry?

Nope and I applied to City University. But yeh McGinger summarised it. If ur ever in doubt u can just email the unis asking if you can apply.
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
For 5th choices, many Unis will either ignore your PS for Dent and just consider you on your grades OR will email you to ask for a 2nd PS. Dont try and write a PS that covers two different subjects - focus entirely on Dentistry.

And do not also apply for Dental Hygiene/Therapy. Its a career in its own right and if its clear from your PS that you actually want to be a Dentist, your application will often go to the back of the queue.

Instead, look at degrees like ...... Pharmacy, Pharmacology, Neuroscience, Biochemistry, Natural Sciences, Chemistry etc. Or don't have a 5th choice, and if you dont get a Dent offer then either reapply the following year, or pick up a non-Dent place in Clearing.

Thank you so so much! I really appreciate this!!
Reply 7

i put dht for my 5th option and got selected sooo its up to you
Reply 8
Original post by drdent
Nope and I applied to City University. But yeh McGinger summarised it. If ur ever in doubt u can just email the unis asking if you can apply.

If you don’t mind me asking what uni did you get into second time round? What did you do differently?
Reply 9
Original post by anon-.-
i put dht for my 5th option and got selected sooo its up to you

Are you planning on doing dentistry after?
Reply 10
Are you planning on doing dentistry after?

yup!
Reply 11
If you don’t mind me asking what uni did you get into second time round? What did you do differently?

Second time I got into Kings and Newcastle. Honestly not a lot UCAT went from 2710 to 2800, just did a lot of mock interviews lmfao.
Reply 12
Original post by drdent
Second time I got into Kings and Newcastle. Honestly not a lot UCAT went from 2710 to 2800, just did a lot of mock interviews lmfao.

Thank you so so much for your help!
Reply 13
Original post by anon-.-
yup!

How do you intend to pay for this - it would be a 2nd undergrad degree and you wouldn't get Student Finance.
Reply 14
Which uni did you apply to for dht? I'm applying for dentistry and am putting dht as my 5th option.

Quick Reply

Latest