The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ryouga
Its going to be hard to give an example that isnt down to personal experience or hear say but in general experience.

People become a bit "goody goody" when it comes to being pc and may have certain emotions about say ethnic groups but by hiding their emotions and getting worked up when someone else says something to said ethnic group/s it makes them feel better.

My dad was jilted at the altar by a black woman so now he sometimes gets really upset around black people and angry, hes not racist but at least he doesnt hide his feelings he knows the people around him are innocent but cant help previous experience, thats not racism.

However other people with similar experience may get defensive about black people to cover up their own experiences.

But blah blah blah I have no idea what I am getting at so this post is pretty much garbage lol.

Well, I should hope that in the 21st century people can stop using foreigners as scapegoats... but I see your point, I suppose.

Anyway, jilted at the altar - that's pretty harsh, but I hope your dad doesn't take it out on black people in general.
Reply 41
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Eh? What do you call them collectively then? The (male) coaches of the sport I play call us 'ladies' and none of us have a problem with it. I wouldn't like it if they called us 'girls', because since we're grown adults it would come across as a bit patronising, but really, 'ladies' just seems like the common sense thing to say. Can't imagine how anyone could think it was sexist.

I asked that, and they said we should refer to each individual by name, or else we should say "women".

Go and read the book "equity in coaching" and you'll see what I mean.
Jangrafess
Yeah, that's because it's not a technical term, isn't it?

Yes, it is. But as ever it was replaced by euphemisms just in case it hurt somebody's feelings.

"Idiot indicated the greatest degree of intellectual disability, where the mental age is two years or less, and the person cannot guard himself or herself against common physical dangers. The term was gradually replaced by the term profound mental retardation." (Wikipedia, Mental retardation)
edd360
No I'm not, and you miss my point. I figured as much people wouldn't care, but it's still annoying how it keeps changing, which is what I'm annoyed at. Please don't flatter yourself and think I'm in some sort of save the half caste protest group. I'm just annoyed that we can't use and stick with one word, and this is not limited to half caste people, but black people, disabled people etc.

I see your point, but what are you exactly trying to get at here.

You're self-assured and in PC terms, that would be offensive to me.

In more `real` terms, that is essentially a `**** off! Do your history research before you ever try to argue such a corner...`

I don't care for a save the half-caste group. The fact that your using the word so casually is rather worrying, too.

The word used to describe someone who is of mixed racial heritage/descent is, quite simply, `Mixed`. That's fine. It was also fine to call us `mulatto`. It was also fine to call us `half-caste`. My point? Society changes the word based on what it sees as appropriate for the social and political definitions of the time. It's not something as trivial and childish as undecisiveness (as you are arguing at the baseline), more as just society's view on the current situation.

By having this mindset, you are only strenghtening the cause and following of what you seek to bring and end and/or justification to. It's better that you **** off for a bit and come back after you've learned a bit more about how society works. Not being nasty here, this is something we must all do.
Reply 44
moregano
That phrase has become an excuse for everything.

"Apparently now we're not allowed to demand our children go to a school with no blacks, Jews, Muslims or gays !! PC gone mad lol!!111!".

:nothing:

Lol! :awesome:

The only thing more annoying than PC 'having gone' mad is people moaning about "PC going mad!". :colonhash:
py0alb
I asked that, and they said we should refer to each individual by name, or else we should say "women".

:s-smilie: 'Women' just sounds odd though, a bit stilted. In the same way that if it were a group of men, it would sound funny to directly address them as 'men' rather than 'lads' or 'guys' or even 'gents' or 'folks'; it's something I'd imagine commanders saying in the army...
I think political correctness has gone mad, but in a self-fulfilling prophecy kind of way. The more people say that political correctness has gone mad, the more and more people seem to react to mild faux pas in a manner that makes people think that political correctness has gone mad. I think people are very misunderstanding of each other nowadays and they expect each individual they encounter to be as refined as they are, to share the same ideology and vocabulary and consequently to bandy words in very much the same manner. This creates issues where what certain people see as being perfectly okay, or at worse tolerable, is not seen as being okay by others. Which is where you get a clash of ideologies. I think this is particularly the case when we're talking about elderly people, who were brought up in a world where words like w*g, p*ki and n*gger were every day words that their parents probably used with regularity (especially with regard to p*ki shops). If they suddenly spill one of these words one day, I don't think it should be that surprising, and whilst it is still reprehensible, people should perhaps be a little more understanding of the differences in upbringing and understanding. However, there are obviously less extreme examples of people being racist or non-inclusive that people seize upon, which is in my opinion ridiculous, and fully representative of a world where people are trying to enforce their way of life upon others.
Reply 47
Eclectic Styles
I see your point, but what are you exactly trying to get at here.

You're self-assured and in PC terms, that would be offensive to me.

In more `real` terms, that is essentially a `**** off! Do your history research before you ever try to argue such a corner...`

I don't care for a save the half-caste group. The fact that your using the word so casually is rather worrying, too.

The word used to describe someone who is of mixed racial heritage/descent is, quite simply, `Mixed`. That's fine. It was also fine to call us `mulatto`. It was also fine to call us `half-caste`. My point? Society changes the word based on what it sees as appropriate for the social and political definitions of the time. It's not something as trivial and childish as undecisiveness (as you are arguing at the baseline), more as just society's view on the current situation.

By having this mindset, you are only strenghtening the cause and following of what you seek to bring and end and/or justification to. It's better that you **** off for a bit and come back after you've learned a bit more about how society works. Not being nasty here, this is something we must all do.

Basically, I couldn't care less how we address other and what is politically correct and what isn't. What I'm annoyed at is that what ever word is assigned, will eventually become politically incorrect as some people, but not all, will take offence to it, probably because people will start using it in offensive ways. You said you don't care, yet you also said you find it worrying that I am using the term "half caste"so casually. Make your mind up. You also told me to **** off but you weren't being nasty. In that case why use the word **** at all? Why not simply say "It's better that you go off for a bit". You are quite a hypocritical person aren't you?

In regards to your last paragraph, how do you think society decides what's fit and what isn't? They do what they think is best, and if people start becoming insulted by a word then I guess it is best to change it, but even still, do you not see how pointless it is? People will always take offence, and it's not the word that causes the offence, but how it is used. I'm sure a black person would be just as offended if I said "you stupid black skinned person" as opposed to "you stupid ******" (please note, I'm not racist, but have to use extremes to prove my point). I guess to sum up, what you are saying is correct, but it doesn't make it right and doesn't mean I should agree with it.
The "dual heritage" thing annoys me. I'm going to go ahead and speak for all mixed race people; we don't care. "Mixed race" is hardly offensive...I'm not going to burst into tears when someone says it.

What I find funny is that I got a letter from the government (or some official thing anyway) who insisted on using the "PC" term "dual heritage"...yet the actual point of the letter was to tell me due to having Carribean descent I should have extra classes! And then I had a "helper" sit in my English class, despite that being my best subject and I was in top set. And I'm going to uni to study it! Pfft.

Ok, rant over :smile:
define PC
Reply 50
Was I the only one who thought this was going to be about computers? :lolwut:
I absolutely despite the sort who get offended and cry at everything.

But the worst is stuff like how schools are banning sports days because some kids will be upset at losing. Pathetic. And they often give medals to all the kids for taking part. What the hell is that about? Anyone here agree with this practice?
I find the people that get most upset about political correctness are the people who want to insult people and get away with it.

"I can't call that black man a gollywog anymore?! IT'S PC GONE MAD."

Obviously there are some weird cases though, but lets not get all Daily Mail reader-y about it
Reply 53
KhizzReynzz
...yet the actual point of the letter was to tell me due to having Carribean descent I should have extra classes! And then I had a "helper" sit in my English class, despite that being my best subject and I was in top set. And I'm going to uni to study it! Pfft.

:eek: Seriously? That's mad.
moregano
Apparently now we're not allowed to demand our children go to a school with no blacks, Jews, Muslims or gays !! PC gone mad lol!!111!".

100% agree
moregano
:eek: Seriously? That's mad.

I know! I'd be more offended if I didn't find it funny...suffice to say the helper was incredibly bored for the one lesson she came to :smile: she never came back either!
edd360
Basically, I couldn't care less how we address other and what is politically correct and what isn't. What I'm annoyed at is that what ever word is assigned, will eventually become politically incorrect as some people, but not all, will take offence to it, probably because people will start using it in offensive ways. You said you don't care, yet you also said you find it worrying that I am using the term "half caste"so casually. Make your mind up. You also told me to **** off but you weren't being nasty. In that case why use the word **** at all? Why not simply say "It's better that you go off for a bit". You are quite a hypocritical person aren't you?

In regards to your last paragraph, how do you think society decides what's fit and what isn't? They do what they think is best, and if people start becoming insulted by a word then I guess it is best to change it, but even still, do you not see how pointless it is? People will always take offence, and it's not the word that causes the offence, but how it is used. I'm sure a black person would be just as offended if I said "you stupid black skinned person" as opposed to "you stupid ******" (please note, I'm not racist, but have to use extremes to prove my point). I guess to sum up, what you are saying is correct, but it doesn't make it right and doesn't mean I should agree with it.

I'm telling you to **** off because that's what need to do. I need to do it, as well, since I need to learn a lot more about this life and find genuine concern in something before it is worth trying to invest such emotional energy into it. It doesn't help when you screw over things that don't really necessitate screwing over (no matter how mucked up that phrasing might sound :wink2:)

If was hypocritical, I wouldn't be telling you to **** off right now and go do some investigation into Mixed race history. It's not nasty at all to say that, unless you are PC in mind. Wherever you go in life, the universal message of "**** off, go learn, come back, teach/discuss" is understood. If you take this in stride then you are fine. If you don't, then this `PC` mindset still has it's grasp on you. The strength of the word and its context makes it appropriate, though you may still have yet to learn this.

I have no idea if anything of what I've said is correct. I don't really care about that. ***** as a word, means as much as you want it to mean and nothing else. Skin a man down to his bones and you're the same, so who cares?

And if you do care, **** off and have a think. :wink2:
Reply 57
Eclectic Styles
I'm telling you to **** off because that's what need to do. I need to do it, as well, since I need to learn a lot more about this life and find genuine concern in something before it is worth trying to invest such emotional energy into it. It doesn't help when you screw over things that don't really necessitate screwing over (no matter how mucked up that phrasing might sound )

If was hypocritical, I wouldn't be telling you to **** off right now and go do some investigation into Mixed race history. It's not nasty at all to say that, unless you are PC in mind. Wherever you go in life, the universal message of "**** off, go learn, come back, teach/discuss" is understood. If you take this in stride then you are fine. If you don't, then this `PC` mindset still has it's grasp on you. The strength of the word and its context makes it appropriate, though you may still have yet to learn this.

I have no idea if anything of what I've said is correct. I don't really care about that. ***** as a word, means as much as you want it to mean and nothing else. Skin a man down to his bones and you're the same, so who cares?

And if you do care, **** off and have a think.

Touché. Words of wisdom right there.
Reply 58
FranticMind
Just have a guess who voted no.

Trolls, rahs and ppl who follow islam.

Lolwut. I voted no and I meet one criterion. But I clicked yes accidentally teehee. :ahee:

edd360
"Hey that guys halfe caste!"

"lol explain yuself wha yu mean wen yu say alf caste! :mad: "

half caste people get mad, changes to mixed race. But no then this becomes politically incorrect so now it's "dual heritage" which doesn't even describe half caste people only, isn't everyone from different heritages?

Basically, no matter what the word used is or what it is describing, it will always become politically incorrect because people will use it out of context or as an insult. Idiot, retard, ******, all of those used to be politically correct.

EDIT: And not only is ****** (the N word) politically incorrect but now it's considered a swear word.

Word.

Humans have let themselves go. We're such pussies nowadays that we've forgotten how to offend others anymore. IT IS OK TO PISS EACH OTHER OFF ONCE IN A WHILE. Ugh. Fair enough, you shouldn't use racial epithets to describe each other but don't outlaw Ba Ba Black Sheep! :mad:

Oh well. I take solace in the fact that overtly PC people will die off faster than us thicker-skinned specimens once The Great Event happens.:borat:
Reply 59
KimKallstrom
I absolutely despite the sort who get offended and cry at everything.

But the worst is stuff like how schools are banning sports days because some kids will be upset at losing. Pathetic. And they often give medals to all the kids for taking part. What the hell is that about? Anyone here agree with this practice?

Thats an interesting one, now I have experience with being bad at sports as I was never good at anything due to coordination and concentration(didnt know back then I had dyspraxia and possible aspergers) so I couldnt really do anything, cept I was excellent at the egg and spoon race and rounders though rounders or such isnt done at sports days!

Now I dont agree with giving all the kids medals, however I can see the kids who naturally arent as good at sports no matter how much they train and the kids who are born with the ability winning anyway is kinda destructive to a kids confidence since at my primary school sports days there which were at least twice a year, it was always the same 2-4 kids who won every time and I was at the school for 6 years so its not just a one off so they just got more and more medals and praise despite it being no effort to them and the kids who put in a huge amount more effort just got ignored.

Latest

Trending

Trending