The Student Room Group

How do you know you won't get bored of your subject

I'm just wondering how, if your'e not sure, whether a subject is something you can get through. if its something your not sure you have a passion for. How do you find out?

For me I really like philosophy, but wondering if something else might be appropriate for jobs in the workplace, these other subjects I've done I found them reasonably likeable: physics, chemistry, maths.

I suppose why I'm asking this that my parents keep asking me what can you do with philosophy. I.e. jobs. Which I think is basically a question of skills, since there are only a number of degrees linked to occupations. At the moment I don't have an occupation in mind, I'm not sure what I'd be impassioned about in a job.
Reply 1
you'll be sure if you throughly research the subject :smile:
Heh, I got bored of my subjects before I even started Uni... I just stuck with it anyway, ignoring the academic side of my degree until exam time, and then got a job in a completely different area.
Reply 3
In my experience, you can't really know until you have spent some time studying it or doing a job related to this domain. I like cooking, but after working as a cook I realized I didn't want to do it and would rather keep it as a hobby for instance.
You should try and speak with some people doing jobs related to philosophy, ask them your questions and if possible try to be an intern for like a day or two so you get an idea of what it involves and whether it suits you.
Reply 4
It's a good bet to go with what you have passion for and are good at. Something you've been interested in for a long time and enjoyed as a subject.
TheSophist
I'm just wondering how, if your'e not sure, whether a subject is something you can get through. if its something your not sure you have a passion for. How do you find out?

For me I really like philosophy, but wondering if something else might be appropriate for jobs in the workplace, these other subjects I've done I found them reasonably likeable: physics, chemistry, maths.

I suppose why I'm asking this that my parents keep asking me what can you do with philosophy. I.e. jobs. Which I think is basically a question of skills, since there are only a number of degrees linked to occupations. At the moment I don't have an occupation in mind, I'm not sure what I'd be impassioned about in a job.

It's best to pick something you wouldn't mind doing in your spare time, otherwise eventually, your going to start disliking it/finding it boring.
Reply 6
TheSophist

If you aren't sure, how about a joint honours degree (Maths/Physics and Philosophy etc.) ? That way, if you get bored with say Philosophy you still have the other part to fall back on. Also, in some cases in the later years of the degree you could weight it more towards one subject than the other.
Reply 7
Chwirkytheappleboy
Heh, I got bored of my subjects before I even started Uni... I just stuck with it anyway, ignoring the academic side of my degree until exam time, and then got a job in a completely different area.

how did you get bored of it?
because you have a passion for it
Hope and pray.
TheSophist
how did you get bored of it?

Well to be fair I studied Maths & Physics at Uni... how can anyone NOT find that boring? :tongue:
cowsgoquack
because you have a passion for it

I find it hard to believe most people studying for degrees have a genuine passion for the subject they're doing.
WithFlyingColours
I find it hard to believe most people studying for degrees have a genuine passion for the subject they're doing.

Then I don't think that's really 'their subject', shame.
Reply 13
WithFlyingColours

I think the majority of people won't have a 'passion' for their degree. I would imagine however those that get the most out of their degree most certainly do.

I know i have a passion for economics and i can't see that fading anytime soon.
Reply 14
WithFlyingColours

Just because you do not? HMMMMMMMMMM?
Because I enjoy doing a similar thing in my spare time? I think about things like that all the time? I am just generally a techie.
Reply 16
Become a vicar. You get a free house, bills paid and all you have to do is read a book for a few hours a week.
Wesssty
Just because you do not? HMMMMMMMMMM?

Not saying that, I'd say I have a keen interest in the subject I'm persuing, but I see my 'passions' as things like flying and playing football. I find it hard to be passionate about an academic subject.

cowsgoquack

Then I don't think that's really 'their subject', shame.

Passion is a strong word. I stand by my belief that most people won't be passionate about their degree. Some people will be passionate about it, sure, but most will probably like what they're studying but their passion will be something outside of education.
I don't think you're closing many options off by studying Philosophy, OP. If you look at what some Philosophy grads go & do afterwards, it seems that (provided you're at the right uni, get a good classification, good work experience etc) there are very few limitations on future career paths. & if you're unsure what you want to do, surely that means that it's a better choice than most other degrees? I don't see how anyone could get bored of Philosophy, either, but that might just be a very biased opinion :ninja:

Or maybe try Philosophy/Physics joint honours? :coma:
Reply 19
Arts subjects also have the benefit of being potentially quite interdisciplinary - if you do get bored, you can always mix it up a bit.

Latest

Trending

Trending