The Student Room Group

My parents forced me to do maths a level and I’m really upset and struggling

I want to drop maths a level but I can’t?? I’m in year 12 and my parents have forced me to do maths. I got a 7 but I struggled and everyone in my class got an 8 or a 9. I hate maths and the classes are really boring, I’m already losing motivation. Everyone around me seems to enjoy maths and they understand everything. I feel like it’s too late to drop it and even if it’s not, my parents won’t allow it. They’re really controlling and it’s making me upset to the point where I’ve already had breakdowns over maths.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bellae
I want to drop maths a level but I can’t??

Just tell them that it’s best to swap because otherwise you’d likely fail maths
Reply 2
Original post by Student1191
Just tell them that it’s best to swap because otherwise you’d likely fail maths

I’ve told them this but they’re not listening to me. I don’t know how to convince them.
Original post by bellae
I want to drop maths a level but I can’t??
You must ask senior members of staff/ your tutor/ your maths teacher if you can change. Even if it makes your parents upset, it will ultimately be worth it, as you will not succeed in a subject you are not passionate about. I am very sorry about your situation, and one solution could be trying to get a phone call set up where your parents can talk to someone from your college/sixth form and explain why A Level Maths is not right for you. I'm again very sorry about your situation, and wish you the best of luck.
same but I'm not upset or struggling. I'm planning to drop it after year 12 so I'm trying to work at it as much as I can and trying to well make myself enjoy it. If this is making you really unhappy just tell your school and drop it then lie to your parents until they happen to find out as by then it'll be too late for your parents to get involved. What other options are you taking?
Reply 5
Original post by rainclouds-
same but I'm not upset or struggling. I'm planning to drop it after year 12 so I'm trying to work at it as much as I can and trying to well make myself enjoy it. If this is making you really unhappy just tell your school and drop it then lie to your parents until they happen to find out as by then it'll be too late for your parents to get involved. What other options are you taking?

Psychology and philosophy. I wish I could lie to my parents, I think I’m just going to try to talk them about it.
Original post by bellae
I’ve told them this but they’re not listening to me. I don’t know how to convince them.

Just speak to the head of sixth form and change. Nothing they can do then
Original post by bellae
Psychology and philosophy. I wish I could lie to my parents, I think I’m just going to try to talk them about it.

oh I see. why are they forcing you to take it? like what's their 'reasoning'?

i understand completely :console: good luck hopefully they let it go
Please do not drop Maths, give it another chance please. It will work for you I promise, just give it another chance and ask the universe, God, or whatever you believe in to help you.

Please use https://www.examsolutions.net/

This is really help.
This may sound brutal, but the opinion of your parents is irrelevant. The only person who matters is you. Drop it.
Take it from me, as someone who just finished their A levels. Do NOT study a subject you don't want to study. Based on the other two subjects you've taken it doesn't seem like you're a STEM student anyway and you may be a lot happier studying another humanity instead. You've said yourself that you're hating maths right now and if you continue to force yourself to study it for the next two years, things are only going to get much more difficult and worse. A levels are no joke, make sure you're studying what you want to, or in two years time you'll look back and regret it, I know I did.

I wouldn't encourage lying to your parents, but from your situation it sounds like they're extremely stubborn and won't give in. If that's the case just go in school and switch to a different subject anyway without them knowing until it's too late. They may be angry at you, but ultimately they won't be able to do anything and it'll be better for you in the end if you really don't want to study maths.

The college I went to allowed us to switch subjects in the first year up until the end of September. You may still have some time left, so I would highly recommend you speak to the head of your sixth form or whoever else could help you, sincerely explain to them your situation and just tell them you really would not like to study maths. At this point in the year they should still allow you to swap subjects, you may have to do a bit of catch up, but that's better than studying something you don'w want to for two years.
Original post by bellae

Then you will have only 2 A levels?
Reply 12
Original post by rainclouds-
oh I see. why are they forcing you to take it? like what's their 'reasoning'?

i understand completely :console: good luck hopefully they let it go

They’re worried that if I don’t do maths, I won’t get to do a psychology course(what I want to study) in a good uni. My mum also thinks I’m doing ‘easy’ and ‘useless’ subjects.
Reply 13
Original post by phat-chewbacca
Please do not drop Maths, give it another chance please. It will work for you I promise, just give it another chance and ask the universe, God, or whatever you believe in to help you.

Please use https://www.examsolutions.net/

This is really help.

Thank you for the encouragement
Reply 14
Original post by the_queen
Then you will have only 2 A levels?

I mean I want to change maths to something else
Original post by bellae
They’re worried that if I don’t do maths, I won’t get to do a psychology course(what I want to study) in a good uni. My mum also thinks I’m doing ‘easy’ and ‘useless’ subjects.

Spoiler

As some others have mentioned it can be a challenging A level and it's not fair that you have to go through so much unnecessary stress. Find someone at school you can talk to like the head of year or whoever can support you. I hope you have another option in mind to swap maths with. Choose the options you need to get onto your course otherwise yh it's your life you do what makes you happy x
Original post by bellae
I mean I want to change maths to something else

For psychology, take Biology. But be aware, it is hard, very hard!
If you are forced to do a subject, all in all, you are unlikely to well in it. If might be best to speak to your head of year, head of maths etc. because you don't want to end up in a situation where you could potentially get kicked out because you don't meet the grade requirements to progress to Year 13 or a similar situation.
Original post by bellae

It is worth giving maths a chance because it can come in useful later, maybe just offer it as an A/S level.. Also think about offering A level statistics instead - it is useful for humanities and for working with big data and studies using data in all kinds of fields including psychology.
Original post by gbrlturner111
You must ask senior members of staff/ your tutor/ your maths teacher if you can change. Even if it makes your parents upset, it will ultimately be worth it, as you will not succeed in a subject you are not passionate about. I am very sorry about your situation, and one solution could be trying to get a phone call set up where your parents can talk to someone from your college/sixth form and explain why A Level Maths is not right for you. I'm again very sorry about your situation, and wish you the best of luck.

I’m in the same situation and I don’t know what to do. If I change maths, then I won’t have the required subjects to go to uni (the degree chosen by my mother is science related which I don’t want to do).
If I keep maths then I will fail, and either way I’ll turn out not going to university. I’m British Pakistani, so I’m already a minority, and I won’t be able to get by in life if I can’t go to uni to get the degree but I hate it anyways. I don’t know what to do.

Quick Reply

Latest