The Student Room Group

Sherlock

Scroll to see replies

Original post by olive325
I rewatched the episode last night and what I still don't get is the whole thing with Sherlock saying that he doesn't have to jump if he has moriarty to call off the killers. Why did he do that if he knew he had to jump, as he already had his plan prepared?

I thought that that might have been to make Moriarty kill himself.
Original post by Jace Falco
I thought that that might have been to make Moriarty kill himself.

yeah but Sherlock looked so shocked when it actually happened - surely he wouldn't be if he was expecting it! :smile:
Explaining ending of series 2?

+ spoilers

might be interesting for someone, if it hasnt been posted already, just sums up much of what you clever Sherlock people have been saying already ;D
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by trouble-trouble
yeah but Sherlock looked so shocked when it actually happened - surely he wouldn't be if he was expecting it! :smile:

Or maybe he was just trying to avoid the risk of jumping; beat Moriarty again.
Original post by boromir9111
Good link :yy:

I quite liked one of the user's comment......

"1) The important thing with anything of this nature is to not assume that the time frame presented is the actual time frame of how things happened!

2) Wondering a lot about whether Moriarty’s body is still on the roof of St Barts.

3) Didn’t like the fact that the writers never let the audience catch up with Sherlock in this episode. We don’t know lots of things about what he was thinking and doing in this episode. Audience knowledge often goes out of sync with the characters in thrillers/crime stories but has to come back at some point or what’s the point?"

:awesome:

The time frame comment is quite interesting actually! Although thinking about it is boggling my mind even more hahaa
Original post by olive325
I rewatched the episode last night and what I still don't get is the whole thing with Sherlock saying that he doesn't have to jump if he has moriarty to call off the killers. Why did he do that if he knew he had to jump, as he already had his plan prepared?

I don't think he truly wanted to "die", even though he had this plan set out. As his death now means he (at this moment in time) cannot contact Watson or Mrs Hudson. Moriarty didn't really give him a choice, either way and neither has his plan, I mean he succeeded in not dying but he has still lost Watson, MrsHudson, even Lestrade and this is what he didnt want, so in fact maybe he didn't want to carry out his plan, it was just a back-up.

I guess this would make Sherlock too ordinary :rolleyes: but its what makes sense to me
Reply 2106
Original post by carnationlilyrose
You are my spiritual son.

Unsure whether to be honoured or severely creeped out..! :tongue:
Original post by sheep_go_baa
The time frame comment is quite interesting actually! Although thinking about it is boggling my mind even more hahaa

Agreed. Something very simple overlooked by most i would imagine, including me :p:
I wonder if the use of The Thieving Magpie and the slowed-down shot of the glass smashing were intentional Clockwork Orange references? I know obviously the song fits great anyway, and slow-motion glash smashes are truly a thing of beauty regardless, but...idk just wondered if it was supposed to function as a tiny homage too. As they're both iconic psychopaths and that.
Reply 2109
I missed the complete first series and episode 1 of the second series, it didn't look to bad from what I did watch but eh.. im not gonna lose sleep over what I didn't watch.
Original post by Dastrea
I missed the complete first series and episode 1 of the second series, it didn't look to bad from what I did watch but eh.. im not gonna lose sleep over what I didn't watch.

If you want, i can email you a website that has all of the episodes if you don't mind streaming?
Reply 2111
If you want, i can email you a website that has all of the episodes if you don't mind streaming?

I can't say I do, if it wouldn't be much trouble for you, a link would be nice :smile:

^ thanks ^
Original post by Dastrea
I can't say I do, if it wouldn't be much trouble for you, a link would be nice :smile:

^ thanks ^

No problem. Enjoy it :rock:
Original post by Bobifier
From that height, it would be reasonably easy to make up the distance, to the extent that overshooting might well be a worry. Also, if the bags were prepared to be full of some soft material like crash mats then the fall would be safe as long as you landed properly. All in all, it's not entirely implausible.

^
i don't think that's possible. you can't really fall diagonally unless you launch yourself at an incredible speed and sherlock obviously didn't do that; he literally held out his arms and fell forwards. and there's no way you could pack crash mats that could cushion his fall into a rubbish truck like that without being obvious; have you seen stunt mats for falls? they're huge, quite literally the size of a bus. you might be thinking of the small ones actors use when they trip over/jump backwards/are thrown against the floor. those wouldn't cushion a fall from that height.

honestly i think the point of the truck was a lot simpler than we think; my theory is that it was just there to block john and/or the sniper's view so that any body switching/whatever could happen.
Hmm, I think Molly has something to do with this. I don't see why Sherlock would see her unless he needed her help, considering she works in a morgue, it would be possible for her to get a body that resembles Sherlock and dress him up as him. And Moriarty got to the roof first then Sherlock, so she may have been waiting at the stairs maybe? And then drag a dead body up and throw him off the roof.
John sort of got ran over by a cycler so his vision was all weird so he couldn't tell the difference.
But then I'm sure the sniper would notice Molly throwing a body over :biggrin:
No problem. Enjoy it :rock:

Do you think you could send me this link? I've forgotten what happened last series. :smile:
Woohoo! Just got an email from Amazon to say my DVD has dispatched and should arrive on Friday! Nearly a week early! Hoping the commentary reveals all!
Original post by Peachz
Unsure whether to be honoured or severely creeped out..! :tongue:

You, my boy, have been given the highest award possible in the internet universe. Do not look a gift horse in the mouth. Any male who cries at One Day and admits it is a sensitive soul I'd be proud to admit to being related to.
Original post by Jace Falco
Nah, he picked the lock of the handcuffs in Kitty's flat. Handcuff locks are extremely easy to pick.

I bow to your superior knowledge and won't ask how you know.
Original post by Mini-Me
Do you think you could send me this link? I've forgotten what happened last series. :smile:

Apologies for the lateness in my reply, i was napping :awesome:

:rock:

Quick Reply

Latest