The Student Room Group

Sherlock

Scroll to see replies

Original post by boromir9111
Are they any good? be honest people?

'They'? You mean the series or the actors?
hhmmm....I shall give it a look see then.....thanks guys :smile:
hhmmm....I shall give it a look see then.....thanks guys :smile:

Nice username by the way... :h:
Original post by Pandora.
Nice username by the way... :h:

Yours is tempting :awesome:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
And they're both now in the LOTR prequel, The Hobbit. :coma:

Martin is perfect for the role. <3
I was so skeptical of this when my boyfriend told me about it, because if it was going to be like that disaster of a Sherlock Holmes movie, which I didn't even watch, then no. Sherlock is known for his quiet intuitiveness and observation - not running around shooting people.

LOVED it. OMG I'm dying just waiting for more episodes to be released! *dies*
A resounding yes.

The show itself is well-written and shot and the modern context works perfectly. It really comes across as a great representation of British quality drama. And the actors, Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, are great actors in general and well suited to their roles. Benedict was born to play the role tbh. And they're both now in the LOTR prequel, The Hobbit. :coma:

Original post by strawberry
x

God that film was terrible. Well, I haven't watched it but many Sherlock Holmes fans have been moaning about it.

SPEAKING OF SHERLOCK HOLMES! Going to England this Saturday... literally the first thing I do after checking into my hotel will be to go to the Sherlock Holmes Museum! WOO!

Also, specifically booked a hotel in Euston Sq so that I could be near North Gower and POSSIBLY SEE SOME FILMING grjhrgweoigjwepgjwe excited. If not at least I can drool on the "221B" door :wink:
Pretty much is.

Shame we won't see Benedict. Still his voice is distinctive enough for Smaug and the Necromancer.

If Tennant is cast as the elfking as well I will die of happiness. :love:
How many series are there?

1, with another coming out in (sigh) 2012.

one - three episodes, 90 minutes each.
Which movie?

The recent film was actually really good and is possibly more true to the written works than even this series. And he doesn't shoot anyone in it either. It's well worth the watch. Both Robert Downey and Benedict Cumberbatch make fantastic Sherlocks in their own rights.

the trailer already doesn't depict Sherlock Holmes the way he is. I didn't realize he, as a character, jumps out windows or buildings, takes part in boxing, and a gun was fired too.

The BBC TV series was much much more what I imagine Sherlock would be.
Original post by punctuation

Eeeurgh please no! I can sort of see it though...
Original post by Pandora.
Eeeurgh please no! I can sort of see it though...

No? Why no? D:
No? Why no? D:

He irritates me. I used to like him though, so maybe I could forgive him a role in The Hobbit. :biggrin:
It's very true to the character and does not make Sherlock into something he isn't.

Actually, I would argue differently. Yes he does box and all the rest, but... aside from the small details that annoy me but I that can overlook (i.e. his not-Holmesian voice, his stature...), RDJ's Sherlock is wholly OOC. My friend - a huge Sherlock (Holmes) fan - said she was annoyed almost as soon as the film started when they showed him sitting on the ground... I know, completely nonsensical and arbitrary, but it just goes to show how "Wrong!" the film was. In any case, I may watch Sherlock Holmes 2 solely for Stephen Fry as Mycroft.
x

Well aside from what I've mentioned about RDJ being the wrong cast alone, the whole plot is a bit ridiculous with all the occult - hardly fit for Sherlock Holmes-esque stories. In addition, they seem to have thrown in Adler just for fun and for the sexual frustration simmering under the surface - more to entertain newbies to the canonverse than to please actual fans. As well, the director has made the movie more of an action-packed, explosion-filled sequence than an intriguing mystery.

Afraid that Lee Pace has been confirmed for that role by Jackson!
Unfortunately I have to cry a Sherlockian "Wrong!" at this - as the cast have explained, it's been pushed to 2012 as a result of filming taking longer than anticipated. If you've been following production, they've finished shooting Reichenbach Fall and Hounds, but they have yet to finish shooting Scandal in Belgravia. In addition to wrapping 'Scandal' they have to do post-production work such as soundtrack, editing, all the rest.

The actual shooting stage of a production is relatively short when compared to pre- and post- production. They can shoot the final episode (which is currently in the location recce stages) in 2-3 weeks. Post would take a bit longer than that, with a few days on the end for the final mix. That still gives it plenty of time to be ready for a November transmission.

Trust me, I know exactly how long it takes to produce a TV programme - it is my degree after all :wink:

For me, anyway, Sherlock feels like a winter programme, and so I can see it coming early 2012 - possibly January.

Quick Reply

Latest