The Student Room Group

Sherlock

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Gatiss writes for Doctor Who as well so I don't think so - I reckon it's mostly that he's got 3 episodes a series to play with so can't try and be too smart with plot arcs like he does with doctor who (prime case, plot arcs from 2010 when Smith started only just being resolved).

Sure, I was suggesting that Gatiss is actually a much more accomplished writer than Moffat, but I think you're right and it is down to the structure of the two shows and also the fact that in Dr Who there is a huge baggage of past history that has to be referenced and namechecked (and also avoided in the sense of avoiding repetition) all the time, which constrains the writers in various odd ways. Perhaps I just think more of Gatiss basically. :smile:
Reply 3981
Original post by aasvogel
This must be the 'Lazarus' reference, which is probably more connected to the Bible story than Dr.Who...

Given Gatiss played Lazarus in the Dr Who episode (which itself was referencing the bible story, fine), I reckon the Sherlock reference was to Dr Who more.

Overall, I think I'll need to wait to judge the series as a whole. Not much happened in this one, but not much could. Fairly undecided currently. Wasn't overwhelmed, but it could be a good set-up.

Original post by Pride
What? Of course it's not a Dr Who reference. What is it with you Dr Who fanboys? It's clearly a reference from Lazarus in the bible...

Dr Who one was clearly a bible reference. For reasons above (and indeed the Sherlock fanbase), I'm pretty sure Sherlock was more pointing at Dr Who.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by sadi16
Could it possibly be Irene Adler!?!:eek: If it is i might just die!!!

That certainly seems the most likely - I can't think who else it could be, but even so I doubt it. It will probably be a random character who is technically from his past but not who be were thinking of at all.
Reply 3983
I heard rumours that Lara Pulver was returning.
Original post by Pride
are you just a little butthurt? u mad bro/sis?

Seriously though, they're clearly taking the mick out of Sherlock fanboys/girls, because a lot of them are like the stereotypical Dr Who-loving tumblr users, who come up with lame homoerotic fan stories, and spend so much time discussing theories, some ridiculous, some incredibly indepth.

uh, no I'm not. I'm not on tumblr or twitter. I just thought that time could be better spent seeing Sherlock use his powers to solve crimes.
I am a little envious of Molly though :tongue:
Reply 3985
Original post by Phantom Punch
People still think they haven't revealed how Sherlock did it (twitter going crazy about it) but what he told Anderson was how it was done. I was right about pretty much everything (I thought that maybe the van in front would have a side door that opened out into an inflatable mattress or something, as opposed to 25 homeless people carrying it).

I have to say I thought they'd do more with the IOU stuff (that went completely unexplained). Also, why was it important to convince John Sherlock had died? I thought the point was to convince Moriarty's gang that he died so that they wouldn't have a reason to shoot John Lestrade and Mrs Hudson. It was a very odd sort of episode. So much fan fiction and drops for hardcore Sherlock Holmes fans myself, which was all very enjoyable, but I thought there would be more to the fall itself. Even the dead body molly provided wasn't needed (Sherlock could have just rolled off and laid there, John wouldn't be able to notice the lack of blood from so far away).

I dunno, the opening sequence was one of the best things I've seen, and the episode itself was enjoyable, but I thought Moriarty gave Sherlock a puzzle to solve with the IOU thing and that wasn't the case. Jonathan Creek basically did the same fall in one of their episodes a decade or so ago, which I remember watching.

Also, although the writers are adamant that Moriarty is dead, they always have the potential to bring him back as they haven't explained what happened to his body after Sherlock jumped off. Could have been replaced with a fake one, it's probably their back up plan if they run out of plot ideas.

I thought this was obvious, but looking through this thread, obv not...
Original post by Mackay
I heard rumours that Lara Pulver was returning.

I have mixed feelings about this even though I am the biggest Adlock shipper in the universe (or at least part of a group of people that are) and I would seriously waiver my straightness to have that woman! I love Irene so much as a character too hence why I don't want her to have a cameo in the next episode.

I want her to have a proper episode when Sherlock and her can flirt and have sex and well have it centred around them or her helping him. I don't want her just to be in a shot just for the sake of it. It would take away the importance of her as a character.

If we're going with what lots of websites have said that there will be a returning character who gets a cameo I have reluctantly deduced it would be Irene. Although I would love to be proven wrong. I mean who else in the last six episodes is important enough to make a cameo (other than Moriaty) no episode was centred around another person important enough to Sherlock to have a cameo…Irene Adler is therefore my reluctant conclusion.
He answered Anderson's question, but I strongly suspect it was not the entire truth.

What did seem most likely was that Sherlock must have landed on some inflatable apparatus, I thought it was more likely to be linked to the bus that was out of order (man couldn't get on when Sherlock looked down) or the Rubbish Truck - (both of these disappeared by the time Watson arrived). Likewise if the bus was out the front there would have been no need for the look-alike corpse (although this was clever and I missed that). But the general idea of a landing mat + distractions to John's line of sight + using the homeless network to convince John he's dead does seem most likely, and although there are other theories most of them violate what's plausible and/or what we were actually shown in the episode.

But as for the IOU stuff + how big of a deal the writers made the coffee scene + all the references to Heaven/ Hell mythology (especially relating to burning, Lucifer's fall from heaven, the poisoned apple from Adam and Eve, etc.) I strongly suspect this either ties into a more elaborate scheme by Moriarty or it hints at the fact that Sherlock managed to get Moriarty to kill himself through a trick (for instance, radiation poisoning, i.e. a burn relating to making an angel committing murder and thus becoming a devil) - and this does relate better to Sherlock explaining how he'd already beaten Moriarty but his plan revolved around letting Moriarty think he'd won. Alternatively it could have been a red herring, although that would make for poor writing considering that they took Sherlock so far out of character in those scenes.
Original post by _Miriam_
I loved it all, but the part with the fangirl's theory with Sherlock and Moriarty sitting laughing together on the roof was fantastic- as well as the other theories. I'm not sure which one is right or whether Sherlock lied to Anderson- he may well have but by giving us all these ideas we can see how many possibilities they are. It would be fun if they continued all these speculations for the rest of the series- almost like a homage to the fans and all their wacky theories over 2 years. Watson still doesn't know how Sherlock did it, so he's bound to keep bringing it up, and we might learn more.

I also loved the parts with Mycroft and Sherlock- their relationship is so interesting, and I love hear about their childhood as very smart children, and they were playing operation too! :biggrin:

Overall, I just can't wait for Sunday's episode.

surely the one he told Anderson is the correct one and the others are just theories made by fangirls?
It's on at 9pm on Sunday right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3990
Original post by -TheSpecialOne-
It's on at 9pm on Sunday right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's 8.30pm :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3991
8:30 tonight guys!
Have any of you guys seen the pictures they released at midnight? The bridesmaid definitely isn't Irene.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3993
As some have said, gentle reminder that it's on at 8.30 not 9 as per Wednesday!!! So excited. :colone:
Original post by Harley
I think it's 8.30pm :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bugger! Won't be home from work in time :'((. I'm a new Sherlock fanboy, watched all episodes in one morning-afternoon

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bugger! Won't be home from work in time :'((. I'm a new Sherlock fanboy, watched all episodes in one morning-afternoon

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just avoid Tumblr/Twitter and you should be spoiler-free aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I truly feel for you I truly do

Posted from TSR Mobile
19 hours 15 minutes to go....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3998
Original post by ChangeOurWorld
19 hours 15 minutes to go....

Posted from TSR Mobile

AHHH i can't wait, i've already started to get restless :eek::eek:
I'm confused. I don't understand why the last theory that Sherlock explains to Anderson is just a theory? Until I read the posts on here I genuinely assumed that's how it had been done :P What am I missing that's so obvious?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest