The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
tlozoot
I think because I don't watch TV is a good one. I own a TV to play my games consoles and occasionally watch a film. If I want to see something that was broadcast I find it on a catch-up service. My TV is not capable of receiving broadcast, therefore I do not pay.

Wow, you got your TV rigged to not receive broadcast. Haven't come across a TV like that in over a decade, some of the more modern TVs don't have the switching system to block receipt.
ranbow99
Eh, live TV?? I thought it was all programmes, not just live ones... :confused:

Or am I being dumb?

By 'live TV' they mean television programmes that are being broadcast right then. As in, if you want to watch what's on BBC 1 right now so you know what happens on Eastenders before anyone else, you need a TV licence. If you just want to go on BBC iPlayer and watch Eastenders after it's been broadcast that is okay.
I like this bit from their own website

"What law authorises enquiry officers to request access to my home? Can I refuse to let them in?

Enquiry officers do not have any legal powers to enter your home without a search warrant granted by a magistrate (or sheriff in Scotland). They (like other members of the public) rely on an implied right in common law to call at a property as far as the door, while going about their lawful business and making their presence known. Enquiry officers must explain to the occupier of the premises why they are visiting, be polite, courteous and fair, and abide by a strict code of conduct.
You have no obligation to grant entry to an enquiry officer if you don’t wish to do so. If refused entry by the occupier, the enquiry officer will leave the property. If enquiry officers are refused access or an occupant withdraws the right to visit, then TV Licensing reserve the right to use other methods of detection.
Enquiry officers may apply for authorisation to use detection equipment if they are refused entry on to premises. TV Licensing may also apply to a magistrate (or sheriff in Scotland) for a search warrant. However, this is only done as a last resort and when a senior manager and a legal adviser considers that there is good reason to believe that an offence has been committed."

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/foi-administering-the-tv-licensing-system-part-2-AB20/

So essentially, tell them to do one because your Mrs is naked with chocolate sauce needing to be licked off.
Reply 63
4G_dollars
Yes, he does. He watches tv, he has to have one. I hope he gets done.

He doesn't watch live TV... thus does not need a TV license
denial is the first stage a guilty person goes through :p:
Reply 65
4G_dollars
You do watch tv online. You use the BBC Iplayer, ITV Player, 40d and 5player.
Do you own a tv set?

Correct, I do.

And Yes, I do.
4G_dollars
If you don't have a tv, fine. The issue can easily be resolved.

If you do own a television set, and watch television, you have to pay a tv licence.

correct

You're breaking the law, and there is nothing to be proud about.

He never said he was watching tv.

If that is the case, I hope you get a big fat fine for it.

comments in bold.
Reply 67
4G_dollars
Does he own tv set? Then yes, he has to pay like the rest of the law abiding citizens of this country.

It is not a crime to own a tv set without having a licence.
Reply 68
thecaterpillar
By 'live TV' they mean television programmes that are being broadcast right then. As in, if you want to watch what's on BBC 1 right now so you know what happens on Eastenders before anyone else, you need a TV licence. If you just want to go on BBC iPlayer and watch Eastenders after it's been broadcast that is okay.

Ahh I get it :o: I hardly ever watch TV, I always use BBC iPlayer, 4od etc
4G_dollars
Yes, he does. He watches tv, he has to have one. I hope he gets done.

He doesnt watch LIVE tv. He doesnt need a licence.
Reply 70
Reue
Correct, I do.

And Yes, I do.

Hope you get done. You own a tv set, you have to have a tv license. Your breaking the law.
4G_dollars
Does he own tv set? Then yes, he has to pay like the rest of the law abiding citizens of this country. If he does own a tv set, he should get prosecuted for not having a tv license.

you don't need to pay a licence just for owning a TV, there are uses for them that don't involve watching tv (games console playing, cctv monitoring etc)

nice one reue I hope i get a visit so I can slam the door in their faces :p:
I had them come round to mine once

"Hello, we're from TV licencing and we're here because we have no record of a TV licence at this address."
"That's because I don't have one."
"Did you know that if you watch a TV without a licence... blah blah... fine of up to £1000... blah blah... criminal record..."
"I don't have one because I do not have or use a TV"
"Thats what everyone says"
"Well, I'm hardly going to tell you I have a TV when I don't, am I?"
"Do you mind if we come in to check?"
"Yes, actually, I mind."
"If we suspect someone of watching TV without a licence we are allowed to come in and check."
"No you aren't."
"We are."
"Not without first explaining to a magistrate what your evidence is that I'm watching TV, in such detail that it convinces them to issue a warrant you're not."
"We use special equipment to detect if you are watching TV and that evidence is admissable in court."
"What does your TV detector say?"
"We don't have a TV detector with us, but if we want a warrant we can get one."
"Fine - get one."

Given that this conversation was had through my CCTV intercom and my flat is one of four on the top of a 7 storey modern block containing in all 60 flats and the TV point is up against a wall adjoining another flat where I know the bloke next door has his TV (as I've seen it there) - I'm not sure how they can detect which particular flat the TV is in.
Reply 73
4G_dollars
Hope you get done. You own a tv set, you have to have a tv license. Your breaking the law.

You are wrong.
Reply 74
4G_dollars
As far as I am aware, you own a tv set, you need a license.

Then its time to get better informed.
4G_dollars

You clearly dont even know the law.
Reply 76
4G_dollars
It does not matter if he does not watch tv. He owns a tv set. He needs a license. Stop breaking the law.

So much fail in such a small post.

Please, source us this law.
When I lived in my old place, we were getting hassled by the tv licence inspectors.Letters to start with, which went unanswered because none of us liked the tone of them.

Anyway, on sunday morning of all days, a tv licence inspector turned up at the front door. A woman, and she actually had some form she wanted me to sign declaring I had been using a tv without a licence,and she told me unless I signed the form and bought a licence that day I would be in court.First words she used. Very disconcerting if you were a vunerable person.

I refused to sign and she asked to come in and check for a TV. I said 'be my guest' and she walked in to the aftermath of a serious party, beer can everywhere, as usual after clubbing it. She went in the front room, and my mate rob (who we called rab) a complete glaswegian drunkard, who had dropped out of uni ages ago and was just getting boozed up everynight, was lying on the sofa with his boxers and his ******** hanging out.

He started to shout stuff at her, couldn't really make it out, and she couldn't get out of there fast enough.They never hassled us again.
Reply 78
Reue
Well I'd be amazed if they'd found me from the records for 'Gandalf T. Gray' currently residing at '1 Thering Street' that I gave whilst buying my last TV.

I think I love you
Reply 79
4G_dollars
As far as I am aware, you own a tv set, you need a license.

I think you need to research this particular law a bit. I'd be on your side if Reue was breaking the law, but he's not.

Latest