The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

racoon97
How do you feel about it? Has it impacted your University lifestyle?

I don't drive.

I feel apathetic.

And it's one less burden of university life, sorting out parking and insurance and all that.
Reply 2
cbaa :/
Reply 3
If I couldn't drive, I don't know how I would be able to cope.
Reply 4
I don't drive at Uni because I couldn't afford it.

I LOVE driving though and it depresses me that I can do it so infrequently. :frown:
I'm turning 23 next month and I don't drive, I just never got round to it. Hopefully I'll be able to learn this year.
And in most unis, people with cars are in the minority. Students walk, and cycle, and get the bus.
Reply 6
I didn't drive whilst at uni and I still don't. I've never really lived anywhere, once I moved out of my parent's house, where I've needed to be able to drive. Would be nice to be able to now though for jaunts out to the country and such but it's hardly a necessity.
I've been able to drive for just over a year, got myself a car a few weeks ago. Taking it to uni next year and so, so glad I'll have it!
Being able to drive would have been pointless at uni. Can't keep a car. Not huge use at home either, esp now that my sis has a car and can drive me everywhere :biggrin:
Rossshaw
If I couldn't drive, I don't know how I would be able to cope.

We have this thing called Public Transport
Reply 10
Was never an issue at uni. Now it's a bit inconvenient not being able to drive (yet!).
I can't/don't

I'll be going to Cardiff Uni in September; so everything i need will be in one place. I only live 30 mins away by bus, so there's really no need for me to be able to drive.
Reply 12
I'm still learning to drive, but not being able to drive hasn't affected me at uni at all. Even if I could drive, wouldn't take my car to uni. Nowhere to put it.
Reply 13
i dont drive but my boyfriend does and so do most of my friends. it's really useful to be able to drive at uni because buses stop running on campus around 6/7 in the evening so although you can walk it helps to have a car for night trips to the library if you are lazy. driving is also useful for 4 am mcdonalds drive-thru visits, and big food shops as the big supermarkets are too far from where we live to walk/carry the bags.
Reply 14
I don't drive, just because I have other things to pay out for rather than driving lessons/car/insurance.

I got round to the provisional driving license paperwork then saw it was precisely £4991 for insurance. Gave up at that point.

I think it will definitely effect me at University in September but I guess I'll just have to hope for housemates who can drive! :biggrin:
Reply 15
I drive, but won't be taking my car to uni.
Going to London, so using trains/tubes/buses.
Reply 16
17, don't drive, don't intend to until after uni. Fail to see how the cost is outweighed by the benefits, I suppose.
Reply 17
racoon97
How do you feel about it? Has it impacted your University lifestyle?

Well I think the location of UCL makes it probably THE worst uni in the country to go to if you have a car. Although I heard from Jeremy Clarkson that driving in Oxford is pretty grim too.
HearTheThunder
We have this thing called Public Transport

Sure, if you want to take twice the time to get nowhere near where you're going. :rolleyes:
Also a serious pain if you're trying to move anything like shopping... groceries on the bus... FML.
Never had a lesson in my life. It's annoying though as I live in a rural area and constantly have to rely on pretty much nonexistent buses and trains.

Latest

Trending

Trending