The Student Room Group

Top 5 games of this generation so far

Scroll to see replies

AirRaven
You say that now, but I've played nothing but my N64 for the past month, working my way through some old favourites.

Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Mario 64, Jet Force Gemini, Blast Corps, F-Zero X, Mario Kart 64, Lylat Wars, Diddy Kong Racing and Turok 2 all feel absolutely dreadful nowadays. =\

The only games that seem to have held up terribly well are Banjo-Kazooie, the Zelda games and Conker.

perhaps to you...but I stil play the ol' N64 as well as the PS3...and I still love goldeneye, zelda, etc.
Reply 101
In no particular order
Bioshock
Super Mario Galaxy
Gears of War
GTA IV
Rock Band 2

(i don't have a PS3)
*EDIT
whoops
that' the top 5 after...

The Orange Box
Reply 102
Bunkd
Why do you have Super Smash Bros there?

I'm not paying £40 for a 2D game in this decade I'm afraid.

Yes because as we all know 2D instantly means crap, I mean just look at SF4, BlazBlue etc. obviously 2D games aren't worthy of anyone's money these days......
Reply 103
1. Borderlands
2. Gears 1
3. BfBc2
4. CoD4
5. DA:O
Reply 104
bad company 2 is overrated. BY MILES.
1. Demon's Souls
2. Demon's Souls
3. Demon's Souls
4. Demon's Souls
5. Demon's Souls
It doesn't help that I've only played 7 games this generation... but:

1) Metal Gear Solid 4
2) Little Big Planet
3) Final Fantasy XIII
4) Batman: Arkham Asylum
5) Grand Theft Auto IV
Reply 107
I couldn't possibly limit it to 5. Just far too difficult - plus it's almost impossible to define "generations" with PC games so we'll have to leave all them out.

In no particular order; Braid, Portal, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Dead Rising (I've got all achievements. INCLUDING 7 DAY SURVIVOR), Gears of War (more for the experience; me and my mate stayed up one night to do the entire game, finished it at 8:14am, it was just a great, great night) and Left 4 Dead (again, the very first time myself and two very good friends finished the first campaign on expert was just spectacular and really exciting) were my favourites. For sheer amount of time playing I'd have to throw in Halo 3 and FIFA 09, which were both spectacular but only in multiplayer terms. The hours I ploughed into Halo 3 are just incredible, and more than a little embarrasing, but I do love the multiplayer so much.

I don't own a PS3 but I may well have included Metal Gear Solid 4. The Wii isn't worthy of inclusion in any way.

I'd conclude the true masterpieces on this generation which will stand the test of time are Braid and Bioshock. The defining games during the transitional period from nerd's hobby to global art form.
Reply 108
Counter Strike: Source, I've had infinitely more fun on that game than any other, simply because of all the user-made content etc.
Reply 109
logic123
bad company 2 is overrated. BY MILES.

How do you figure that?.
Its single player = good
Multiplayer = amazing.
Reply 110
Bad COmpany 2 on PC= ported piece of crap
Based on what I've played and enjoyed: In no particular order

Heavy Rain
Crysis
Final Fantasy xiii
GTA Iv
Uncharted 2
Reply 112
The Pro Evo games have been awesome.
Reply 113
For This Generation (I won't include any from my all-time list, and i only own a 360, hence no ps3/wii titles)

1. Fallout 3
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Dead Rising
4. Red Dead Redemption
5. Bioshock

Not exclusively this generation, rather my favourites of all time

1. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblibion (Xbox 360)
2. Advance Wars (GBA)
3. GTA: Vice City (PS2)
4. Medieval Total War 2 (PC)
5. Gears of War (Xbox 360)
That game was crap. :confused:
1. Bioshock
2. The Orange Box
3. GTA IV
4. Halo 3
5. Hitman: Blood Money

Loved all of them, though 5 is really just a personal favourite and there have probably been better games.
Reply 116
M.E
Sims 2 is better than Sims 3 though, in my opinion... a lot more fun :yep:

Completely agree, plus, with sims 2, you have a speed up button that ACTUALLY WORKS!!! hurrah!!! :ymca:
Reply 117
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Left 4 Dead 2
Dead Rising
Reply 118
lol oops..the other two :
Portal
Pokemon gold ^^
Reply 119
In no real order

Mass Effect 2
BioShock