The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

third year math(Finalist) modules

alright guys, i'm after some tips on easy modules whether math or not, that i can do in the last year. i'm not feeling the language modules but i'm grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

There were a LOT of maths finalists on my language course last year. It must have been a welcome and refreshing break, if you're being driven insane by analysis and proofs, you can get 30 cats from "my name is holly and my favourite colour is pink!".

What did you have in mind? An arts module? or something in the sciences?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
In terms of maths modules, there are a few second year ones that are List A that you can use to pad out the required number of List A CATS:
Geometry wasn't too difficult (a bit of linear algebra and basic group theory, and some more abstract stuff like hyperbolic/projective geometry).
Modelling Nature's Nonlinearity's an easy one to go for if you put in the effort as it's 12 CATS of coursework.
Variational Principles is a nice enough applied module as well, and introduces some pretty fit maths/physics.
PDEs and Metric Spaces are also nice enough (if you haven't already taken them) - they seem to have a lot of content but there's not much variation in the exams (Metric Spaces especially).

If you took Maths of Random Events last year (and didn't fail it miserably), Measure Theory might not be a huge leap.

I'll probably be going in the opposite direction though - some of the fourth year modules look far too much fun to avoid! :p:
Reply 3
MA4C0 Differential Geometry is easy CATS, especially for people whose maths isn't what it should be.
Reply 4
Does anyone know what Principles of Finance is like (second year business module)?
Reply 5
I have a friend who took the Accounting & Finance module in his third year, & ended up doing very well despite not working all that hard - I think it was his only First module. Apparently the module as a whole is pretty basic, esp. in comparison to final-year maths modules.
Reply 6
Don't take measure if you're looking for an easy course.

If you need easy maths cats, you need to look at the modules that have the most people in them. More people mean the exams have to be easier.

Knot Theory, 3rd year essay, history of maths - I'd guess you may take these for 45 cats. Then one of PDE/Metric to make up the other 12 for the 57 cats you need. Also could consider modelling natures, but you're gonna have a pretty terrible year if you take all those essay modules

Business school modules are always a joke. So if you havent taken them yet, either faf/pof for 30 cats.

Problem Solving for 12. Do Math stats A (12) if you haven't taken it already (Jan Exam to get it out of the way). Then some random easy modules for the rest.

RE: PoF, two class exams worth 15% each, then final exam is fine if you've done the seminar qs a few times...
Reply 7
Tompazr
Don't take measure if you're looking for an easy course.

If you need easy maths cats, you need to look at the modules that have the most people in them. More people mean the exams have to be easier.

Knot Theory, 3rd year essay, history of maths - I'd guess you may take these for 45 cats. Then one of PDE/Metric to make up the other 12 for the 57 cats you need. Also could consider modelling natures, but you're gonna have a pretty terrible year if you take all those essay modules

Business school modules are always a joke. So if you havent taken them yet, either faf/pof for 30 cats.

Problem Solving for 12. Do Math stats A (12) if you haven't taken it already (Jan Exam to get it out of the way). Then some random easy modules for the rest.

RE: PoF, two class exams worth 15% each, then final exam is fine if you've done the seminar qs a few times...

Here speaks someone adept at manipulating the system. How is Roshanda?
Reply 8
Thanks for the advice!

I've also heard topics in number theory and introduction to topology aren't too bad.

Also like the sound of complex analysis given vector analysis went well despite missing most of the lectures...
Reply 9
Intro to top will be okay. It'll be a new lecturer this coming year though so will change a bit. Pretty sure the exam was scaled down last time because it was the easiest paper ever set.

Complex will always be fine because of the number of people taking it. If you learnt how to compute residues/use cauchy int formula in vector you could potentially already have 25% of the exam in the bag.

The reason Vector went well for you was no doubt the fact the lecture notes were printed and the exam was a copy of a previous year haha
Reply 10
Does anyone know if IB109 Foundations of Accounting and Finance is a strict prerequisite for IB215 Principles of Finance? The former one looks more of a joke and I would be potentially interested in the latter one.

As for 4th year math modules - the WMI page has marked those suitable to 3rd years with a '*' - not a lot of them considering you have to take 2 if you're on MMath. I've been considering Elliptic Curves as it shouldn't assume anything we don't know, yet it doesn't have a '*'. Thoughts?
Reply 11
I did PoF two years ago without FaF and the course is exactly the same as it is now. It may have changed though but you can always ask

Some dudes take the harder 4th year maths modules in year 3 anyway. Just prep to get smashed a bit.
Reply 12
MA4s are generally accessible to good people...elliptic curves will be fine. The *s don't really have any relevance in my opinion...they don't tend to be all that much easier. For example, Manifolds next year will be done by Huy Nguyen so will be hard (and done properly unlike the last several years), and Lie Algebras will be a reading course under Dmitriy so will be pretty hard too I imagine.
Reply 13
Found this whilst cruising the interwebs, which might be useful:

http://www.warwick.ac.uk/~masbm/PCAPP/Events/Discussion/ma4.html

The 4 links near the top show the average marks for the MA3/MA4 modules and how many people took them.

(page also features Dmitriy solving an IMO problem in 11 minutes, what a ledge)
Reply 14
.matt
Found this whilst cruising the interwebs, which might be useful:

http://www.warwick.ac.uk/~masbm/PCAPP/Events/Discussion/ma4.html

The 4 links near the top show the average marks for the MA3/MA4 modules and how many people took them.

(page also features Dmitriy solving an IMO problem in 11 minutes, what a ledge)

Ok, so the charts say that Algebraic Number Theory and Galois Theory are unexpectedly hard taken in the 3rd year and there's a better chance in the 4th. On the other hand, most 4th year courses look plain hard.
coffeym
Here speaks someone adept at manipulating the system. How is Roshanda?

Bitch.
Reply 16
Does anybody know if you can do EC106 Introduction to Quantitative Economics in 3rd year, as it is possible to do intro to accounting and finance which is a 1st year module?
karl3
Does anybody know if you can do EC106 Introduction to Quantitative Economics in 3rd year, as it is possible to do intro to accounting and finance which is a 1st year module?

that's awful.

pretty sure that even if you can do it, it's worth less cats.
Reply 18
no, they dont discount cats anymore. You cant take IQE in year 3 surely.
Tompazr
no, they dont discount cats anymore. You cant take IQE in year 3 surely.

that's awful.

Quick Reply

Latest