The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bad idea if you have the option of a regular university.

Excellent idea if you don't and also don't have a job.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
It has its advantages (ie cheaper and more flexible) and disadvantages (not a proper 'university experience', less access to resources etc). It's great for some people but less so for others, so without knowing what you're looking for it's difficult to say whether it's a good or bad idea. Considering your age and the fact that everyone has access to student loans, I'd say unless you have serious commitments holding you back then going to a proper university would be best.
hmm i guess you are right, but just the costs alone seem so much cheaper. is the experience of university really that great?!? :smile:
emilyameliarose
hmm i guess you are right, but just the costs alone seem so much cheaper. is the experience of university really that great?!? :smile:

I have been thinking of doing this too. I have a place at York, but the Open University is so much cheaper (about £500 per year) and obviously no accommodation costs that I've been thinking about whether it would be a better option. I think it basically comes down to how important the 'university experience' is to you.
emilyameliarose
good or bad idea instead of a regular university? :o:

it sucks dont do it...ive got maths diploma with them
Chucklefiend
I have been thinking of doing this too. I have a place at York, but the Open University is so much cheaper (about £500 per year) and obviously no accommodation costs that I've been thinking about whether it would be a better option. I think it basically comes down to how important the 'university experience' is to you.

me too! :/ and when i looked at financial support, it basically said they would pay for my courses without wanting the money paid back, plus a grant!
i think the only thing i am thinking about is the university experience... i don't think i am too bothered, but that might just be because i have never experienced it! do you think it's important?
metallica nutter
it sucks dont do it...ive got maths diploma with them

how come? what is bad about it? :smile:
emilyameliarose
how come? what is bad about it? :smile:

their qualifications wont help you find work...you need a degree from a good university to impress employers...trust me
emilyameliarose
me too! :/ and when i looked at financial support, it basically said they would pay for my courses without wanting the money paid back, plus a grant!
i think the only thing i am thinking about is the university experience... i don't think i am too bothered, but that might just be because i have never experienced it! do you think it's important?

It depends entirely on what sort of person you are. If you are really outgoing and looking forward to meeting loads of new people, partying etc etc then the university experience is probably going to be an important part of doing the course. Personally, I am a quiet and shy person who is not at all fussed about that kind of thing.
metallica nutter
their qualifications wont help you find work...you need a degree from a good university to impress employers...trust me

A diploma might not, but I'm quite sure a first class degree earned through self study and self motivation would impress a lot of employers.
Reply 11
xmarilynx
It has its advantages (ie cheaper and more flexible) and disadvantages (not a proper 'university experience', less access to resources etc).

Depends on what you mean by less access to resources. All Open University students will also have access to libraries of the other universities (reference access only) as well as the libraries in the OU's regional centres.

Tutors can be just as accessible.
Reply 12
I was all excited about going to university for the experience, meeting new people and all that...ended up hating it and dropped out after my first year. I much prefer the OU, it's more suited to me - I can work full time and afford my own place, no money to pay back, do it in my own time, etcetc.

However, despite hating the brick uni I went to, I'm still kinda glad I did it because at least I know that it was the wrong decision - if I just went straight for the OU I may have regretted not even trying a brick uni.

It's really up to you. It's certainly not for everyone, I know a lot of people who would just hate it. But I don't think you can really tell in advance if the 'university experience' is something you'll enjoy - a lot of people I know who everyone thought would be shy and not enjoy university were the ones who had a great time and made the best friends (and vice versa!).
Reply 13
OU is good from an employers standpoint. Shows initiative, ability to handle workload. Self motivation.

Its harder to study with the OU as you don't get a big library to draw thouands of books from, you don't get necessarily tutorials close to home (my last course with them had a 7 hour round trip for a 3 hour tutorial). The support is great, other students and tutors are only an email away. You get a phone number for the tutor and on some courses at least the tutor keeps in regular touch to check you aren't having problems with the course.
Its a type of study that requires more self motivation, you are often studying alone unlike at traditional universities where you may get together with others to study the same stuff.

Cheap too - for low earners the cost of a degree with the OU can be £0 debt!!!

My second degree I'm planning to do with OU (got 50 credits towards it already, only need another 310). My wife is in the process of transferring her university credits to the OU to complete a degree now she can't complete at her previous place of study (can't chase rabbits any more, can't toss sheep and can't clean out the enclosures). She's transferring to do Natural Sciences BSc (Hons).

I'd thoroughly recommend the OU. Employers like it because its different, the standard required to pass is the same, there's a lot of support from the organisation. But distance learning is harder, not everyone can handle the workload, not everyone can handle not having lectures.

Oh, and as has been mentioned, you study at your own pace. A module usually has a time limit so you have to do the work but you sign up for only the modules you want to start at that time.
eg do a 30 point course for a few months then perhaps two 10 pojnt courses at one time followed by a 60 point course.

There are requirements you have to do to get specific degrees. Such as xxxx 60 point course and yyy 30 point course at lvl 2 and so on.
Reply 14
metallica nutter

I've worked with OU graduates in several places. Employers are also impressed with it. The self motivation skill is invaluable.

Can't compare the experiences of a traditional university to the experiences of the OU degree. The OU one requires more effort, can't just snooze through lectures. Some courses have minimum class participation by email/on forum.
Reply 15
It depends how well you can work by yourself, OU are very well respected as it is alot harder to study without the guidance of a brick and mortar university.
Reply 16
I can't comment on brick universities because I have never had the experience, and the benefits of the OU have already been outlined.

In addition to the tutor support, many courses also offer tutorials in your area, something like 1 a month and these are well worth going to.

You do need a level of self discipline, to make sure you study and complete the work on your study calender, but Open University degrees are often held in high regard because of the commitment they show.

It has been said by some students on some of the OU forums (platform) that the marking is tougher with the OU, it's harder to obtain the high marks and a B with the OU may well be an A with a brick university, but overall, the majority of people are impressed with the OU by the time they have completed their studies.

You have as many rights as traditional students and can also join the NUS, and the open university have their own students association as well, where there are local branch meetings - OUSA.

There is support from other learners, your tutors and the regional office as well.

The website can be confusing, but to explain it in simple terms, choose the degree you would like to study, then look at the different courses you need to take. Some will be compulsory. From there, choose a level 1 course and you can register online. If you're unsure whether the OU is for you, do a short 10 or 15 point course. The points you accumulate can go towards your degree and you'll know if the OU is for you or not.

The funding is straight forward - there is a finance calculator which tells you if you're eligible for funding. If not, you can open a budget account and pay off in instalments.

You can learn and earn at the same time - study over 6 years part time, or, study full time, two modules (courses) alongside each other. Although this can be hard work and requires several hours every day, with little room for falling behind.
And I think that covers everything!
metallica nutter

This is rubbish.
xmarilynx
It has its advantages (ie cheaper and more flexible) and disadvantages (not a proper 'university experience', less access to resources etc). It's great for some people but less so for others, so without knowing what you're looking for it's difficult to say whether it's a good or bad idea. Considering your age and the fact that everyone has access to student loans, I'd say unless you have serious commitments holding you back then going to a proper university would be best.

I agree with this.
The OU is a great idea, far better than a traditional university! I'm a graduate of the OU and went on the LSE and then went on to Imperial, so don't dis the OU :smile:

Latest