The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I've been state educated my whole life. My primary school was ranked 82 out of 83 schools in my area. Most people in my class still couldn't read when I went to secondary school. My secondary school was probably mid-range when I started, but went down hill a little whilst I was there and in my year of 150 only half a dozen got more than one A*. I go to a state college that just requires 6 Cs at GCSE. My offer is for A*AA and I'm pretty confident I'll make it. Last year I got the equivalent of 5 A*s. I wasn't put off from applying due to the A*, and nor were 60 other people from my college of 700. More people were put off from applying to places such as Oxbridge because a) it'd never been mentioned at school b) they didn't have the confidence in their own ability c) they wrongly assume that the system is prejudiced. It's not that state school pupils can't get the grades, it's the whole atmosphere in which they're educated.

A Levels aren't so difficult - and I'm a firm believer that if you work hard enough and work in the right way, then you can get what anybody else can get. Okay so state school pupils may have to spend longer looking for the resources that their schools couldn't provide, or they may have to work a bit more on their own to get the job done - but they're the kind of things you have to do at university anyway. It's okay saying that the system is unfairly discriminating agains state school pupils by asking for higher marks, and I agree that to some extent you have to take into account somebody's background, but there's only so far that you can take provisions for positive discrimination. Some would argue that by repeatedly telling state school pupils they're less likely to achieve and are disadvantaged, they'll play to that and feel constrained by limits that don't necessarily exist.

Plus, as the A* is being introduced as a product of grade inflation, asking for A*AA or more is only the same as asking for AAA a decade or so ago. Maybe not even that far back. This isn't a new problem. Instead of blaming private schools or university admissions, more should be done to improve the standard of education in the public sector, particularly at an early age.
Reply 81
innerhollow
Because it's an absurdly difficult course? The Cambridge courses are disproportionately harder than even other top universities. You simply can't compare a certain degree classification at Cambridge with other courses. People getting 2:2s at Cambridge have transferred to other universities and seen their marks shoot up.

Also, the Cambridge admissions process is rigorous enough to differentiate between that have an actual aptitude for the subject, and those that just learn the exam technique and manage high marks after much graft.

Plus also they have one on one tutoring and all of that so then they're basically in a private school anyway so the whole they're on their own thing is ridiculous. They told me this on one of the open days.
Reply 82
jam277
I understand what you mean. I find it insulting that people think this will have an adverse affect on state students. I'm a year 12 student who didn't have any tuition or anything that private schools have as an advantage to learning. The stutent:staff ratio is around 20:1 as well in comparison to 1:1 in private schools yet I can still match up to private schools exam results. A levels were made easier by the government so rather than making it harder and bridging the gap to uni better they add an extra grade to accomodate those with better exam technique but not those who are more intelligent. Won't affect anything in terms of achievement besides deterring people to go university who can't get those grades.

Exactly. If I was a state school student who achieved A*AA on my own merit then I'd actually feel pretty pissed off if the government just decided to let people who got AAB or AAA into Oxbridge just because of the school they go to. It just devalues the achievement of state school pupils who work bloody hard to get into Oxbridge in the current system. If you dumb it down then were is the incentive to try? Which is already a massive problem in state schools.
Reply 83
innerhollow
That's even MORE disadvantageous to people from poor backgrounds, surely? It's kind of hard to get an awesome list of extra-curriculars when you can't afford expensive music tuition; sports/fitness coaching; go to a school where extra-curriculars aren't available or encouraged;and on top of that possibly have to work a part-time job thus reducing your ability to build up your list of extra-curriculars.

The US is WORSE than the UK in terms of social mobility, you realise (or it was last time I checked).

And on what do you base that opinion? The US does not have such a defined class system as the UK does... I think to an extent the lines are blurred in the US, unless you are talking about the super rich...

For example a family earning ~ $45K could be considered middle class, because regardless if they were blue collar (working class) or white collar (middle class). In the UK depending on their profession, they would still be considered working class...

I also don't understand why that phrase is even still used in the UK...
Reply 84
MJlover
I don't think so, if you get an offer from an A* uni, then you should able to make it.

Why are they assuming state school kids can't make it yet public/grammer school kids can?

That is the point, the state schooler on average will not be offered a place... and I think the 50 -50 stat some are claiming illustrates the point. If there is a 50/50 split of state school to public school, then if 7% of the students in the UK attend public school but are taking 50% of the Oxbridge places, then explain why public school pupils have a greater propensity to end up in Oxbridge... is it that they are intrinsically smarter/more intelligent?
Reply 85
Most of my friends go to state schools or non-selective private schools but I have one friend who I occasionally talk on facebook to who goes to Eton and is predicted AAA, got As at AS but was rejected from 4/5 Unis because he goes to Eton. I used to think it was the other way round but after hearing this I think the current system if anything gives an advantage to state/non-selective schools if anything. He also told me he has a few friends with the same problem though on the other hand some people he know seem to have great connections and are getting into to Oxbridge with average grades.
vnupe
And on what do you base that opinion? The US does not have such a defined class system as the UK does... I think to an extent the lines are blurred in the US, unless you are talking about the super rich...

For example a family earning ~ $45K could be considered middle class, because regardless if they were blue collar (working class) or white collar (middle class). In the UK depending on their profession, they would still be considered working class...

I also don't understand why that phrase is even still used in the UK...

Your post is not related to mine. I was criticising the way that unis in the US work. If you think looking at extra-curriculars is the ideal system, you'd be sadly wrong. A greater emphasis on extra-curriculars is one of the staple selling points of elite schools.

I also don't understand your point about the class system differences between the UK and US. The nature of the class system works relates to the respective heritages of each country, and tells us nothing about equality.
Reply 87
vnupe
So you feel your personal experience is the average or token experience of a state school student...

Of course not. I'm not the only person I know who's capable of an A*. All the state colleges I know of produce A* students (obviously we don't know if anyone is an A* student yet, but we can reasonably guess if they're of that standard). State colleges do not have the issues that GCSE schools have as it is only the people who want to be there, so there generally isn't the disruption you can get at GCSE level. Also, even if someone did have a bad teacher, with all the resources available on the internet, someone who has the ability and drive needed to get into top unis such as Cambridge should still be able to get an A*.
Doughnuts!!
Agreed. If the UK university system was anything like the US', then I'd be screwed. I do absolutely NO EC's in college since there's not really a wide range available. The only reason I have a chance of going to uni is due to my academic ability!

I don't even understand why they do it. Universities are meant to be academic strongholds, not glorified sports teams! I mean, yeah it's an achievment if you train every week and are on the American football team, but it doesn't really make you any better able to study an academic course. :s-smilie:
Reply 89
Michael XYZ
I'm from a disadvantaged background and I don't see why this means state-school students will suffer. You wanna work hard and get A* then go and get - I can't see how private-school students have any better mentality than what anyone else can potentially have.

where are you applying? What do you plan on studying.. will you meet the A*AA tariff? If not why?
ily_em
Of course not. I'm not the only person I know who's capable of an A*. All the state colleges I know of produce A* students (obviously we don't know if anyone is an A* student yet, but we can reasonably guess if they're of that standard). State colleges do not have the issues that GCSE schools have as it is only the people who want to be there, so there generally isn't the disruption you can get at GCSE level. Also, even if someone did have a bad teacher, with all the resources available on the internet, someone who has the ability and drive needed to get into top unis such as Cambridge should still be able to get an A*.

This. I sympathise with those who have had poor teaching, but considering how accessible information is thesedays, there's little excuse. People need to be encouraged to take responsibility for themselves, rather than being allowed to blame everything and everyone around them.
Reply 91
vnupe
That is the point, the state schooler on average will not be offered a place... and I think the 50 -50 stat some are claiming illustrates the point. If there is a 50/50 split of state school to public school, then if 7% of the students in the UK attend public school but are taking 50% of the Oxbridge places, then explain why public school pupils have a greater propensity to end up in Oxbridge... is it that they are intrinsically smarter/more intelligent?

No, it's just that more private school pupils apply than state school pupils. If you look at the admissions statistics, the applications received by Oxbridge are around 50:50 and stay the same in terms of who offers are made to. If you want more state school pupils to go to Oxbridge they just need to apply. So very many state school pupils at my old school and at college are likely to get the grades required but wouldn't apply for plenty of other reasons - they felt they wouldn't fit in, they wrongly assumed they'd be discriminated agains, they think it's more expensive etc.
Having friends at both state and private schools I can see the difference in atmosphere - private school pupils often come from families who have been to good universities and who have instilled an expectation in their children that university is a natural progression. They tell them about their happy experiences and often have greater ambitions for their children than those who have not been educated to a degree-standard. They also have more confidence in their ability. In contrast state school pupils often don't have any expectation or knowledge about university. They don't start thinking about it until they have to apply. They don't have the same expectations as private school pupils. Seriously, this isn't about the ability of state school pupils, it's about the atmosphere that the school generates.
Reply 92
ily_em
Also, even if someone did have a bad teacher, with all the resources available on the internet, someone who has the ability and drive needed to get into top unis such as Cambridge should still be able to get an A*.

Especially for sciences/maths, the textbooks, specification and past papers are sufficient to know enough to get an A* without a teacher, if you're capable.
Reply 93
Tefhel
Unis are for intelligent people. Not a tool for the government to pat itself on the back and say "Look how diverse we've made the country!" It's kind of insulting to state school students that people think they're completely incapable of achieving anything of their own merit and need a 'helping hand' every step of the way.

:gasp: ....
Reply 94
Lil Piranha
But again, that's not the universities problem to fix, it's the governments. The universities should be able to take the people with the best grades, irrespective of education, upbringing, wealth etc.

Oh no, I agree that the government should fix it, not the universities. But the question is whether state schoolers will suffer from the new A* and I say they will, regardless of whose fault it is.

Though I think unis should look at education, upbringing etc. 10 A*s at GCSE from the worst comprehensive is surely superior to 10 A*s from a public school.
Reply 95
innerhollow
This. I sympathise with those who have had poor teaching, but considering how accessible information is thesedays, there's little excuse. People need to be encouraged to take responsibility for themselves, rather than being allowed to blame everything and everyone around them.

This.. I completely agree :h:
innerhollow
A greater emphasis on extra-curriculars is one of the staple selling points of elite schools.

Yeah, exactly. I went to a **** state school that offered absolutely no ECs apart from a football team, but that wasn't open to everyone. My private schooled mates that I met at uni had ECs coming out of their ears - like tours to Italy with their rugby team, the Duke of Edinburgh etc. Under the American system where their top universities look for the 'more well rounded' students no one from my school would have gotten in.

It's a terrible system and I'm glad that out elite institutions are primarily concerned with academic merits and not whether you're some sort of elite sportsman or musician as well.
Reply 97
Leto
10 A*s at GCSE from the worst comprehensive is surely superior to 10 A*s from a public school.

Why is it? I know what you say sounds obvious and I used to agree, but recently I've begun to question why achieving 10A*s from a state school is better than a private school? You may have put more effort in, but throughout life we don't measure things in terms of effort, we measure in terms of what you know. At work it's the outcome that matters, not how much effort you put into it. The private school pupil has still had to learn the same amount of information, still had to take the exams, still had to do the coursework to a strict deadline. Just because they're at a private school doesn't necessarily mean they've had perfect teaching or much better resources or are even particularly bright. They may well have had to have work just as hard.
becbec :)
I've been state educated my whole life. My primary school was ranked 82 out of 83 schools in my area. Most people in my class still couldn't read when I went to secondary school. My secondary school was probably mid-range when I started, but went down hill a little whilst I was there and in my year of 150 only half a dozen got more than one A*. I go to a state college that just requires 6 Cs at GCSE. My offer is for A*AA and I'm pretty confident I'll make it. Last year I got the equivalent of 5 A*s. I wasn't put off from applying due to the A*, and nor were 60 other people from my college of 700. More people were put off from applying to places such as Oxbridge because a) it'd never been mentioned at school b) they didn't have the confidence in their own ability c) they wrongly assume that the system is prejudiced. It's not that state school pupils can't get the grades, it's the whole atmosphere in which they're educated.

A Levels aren't so difficult - and I'm a firm believer that if you work hard enough and work in the right way, then you can get what anybody else can get. Okay so state school pupils may have to spend longer looking for the resources that their schools couldn't provide, or they may have to work a bit more on their own to get the job done - but they're the kind of things you have to do at university anyway. It's okay saying that the system is unfairly discriminating agains state school pupils by asking for higher marks, and I agree that to some extent you have to take into account somebody's background, but there's only so far that you can take provisions for positive discrimination. Some would argue that by repeatedly telling state school pupils they're less likely to achieve and are disadvantaged, they'll play to that and feel constrained by limits that don't necessarily exist.

Plus, as the A* is being introduced as a product of grade inflation, asking for A*AA or more is only the same as asking for AAA a decade or so ago. Maybe not even that far back. This isn't a new problem. Instead of blaming private schools or university admissions, more should be done to improve the standard of education in the public sector, particularly at an early age.

THIS is pretty much exactly what I would have typed up if I had the time or was willing to put in the effort :p: People always assume that state school students can't get the grades, but that assumption is completely wrong.

Quite funny how similar our circumstances are. :holmes:

Spoiler

Reply 99
becbec :)

SO what would you do, god forbid, you do not make your A*AA offer, an well done for getting the predicted grades to get the offer...

Also hoe many others from your school achieved a similar offer, would you say it is the norm? WOuld you say by far you are the smartest person in your college? How would you feel if you knew that 40% of private school students reach the same grade (I don;t know this is true, I just picked an arbitrary number), and only 5% of state school students?

DO you think that on a whole public school students are more academic that state school students, which the percentages (not my made up percentages) would suggest...

I am not saying that public school students are less likely to achieve etc to discourage them... in fact quite the contrary I am illuminating this topic to say that the standard of education in the public sector, particularly at an early age should be improved. And by not working the top universities and private schools into the equation is to not effectively deal with the issue because they too are part of the overall problem...

Latest

Trending

Trending