The Student Room Group
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website

will I need a car?

Hello everybody! I live abroad and I'm going to start the Lincoln next september, i will be at Riseholme. I've found a room for rent not so far away from the university but I want to know if the public transport system will let me move freely or do I need to bring my car with me. Some people told me it would be better to rent a car (but how much does this cost?) or to take a bike. Would you please help me? My cousin, who live in London, told me bus and train stop their runs at 8 pm so if my courses last more I need some others way of transport. But as you can imagine, it will be quite unconfortable to move my car from outside UK and to learn to drive from the opposide side :wink:
thank you all and sorry: my english has definetly to improve
Reply 1
emmadesai
x

You want to RENT a car for a year?!?! :confused: :lolwut:

That would be hugely expensive!!
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
Use the bus services... It's what they're for.
there is very limited parking at lincoln university, i've been warned about this alot. i would definately advise public transport.
Reply 4
Meh, well i can't drive and i'm sure i'll survive
Get a bike- cheaper, green, and at least you don't have the problem of finding a parking space.
Reply 6
you definitely don't want a car - there is limited car parking (and it's very expensive), and you can't seriously afford to rent a car for a YEAR??! Lincoln is really really compact, basically everything in the town is within a 15 minute walk, so you'll have no problems without a car - just walk or use a bike :smile:
Reply 7
at riseholme we have plenty of parking and its free though there are rumours of them starting to charge for our permits
lived there past two years and will be there again this year
the buses stop at around 5, there are none up there at weekends, and they arent the most frequent, maybe 2 an hour at most
so if you have the option it is easier to have a car when studying at riseholme campus as long as you have parking where you'll be living
the main campus has limited parking but riseholme is the only campus that does actually have parking available
if you wanna walk to riseholme from town it will take you about about an hour, and cycling would be all up hill which may or may not be considered a problem
hope that helps
Reply 8
I'm sorry, I didn't wrote i was thinking about taking my own car and drive from France to Lincoln. If you assure I can live even without doing this it would be a good news, since in my family we have only 2 cars :smile: The only problem is: you wrote the buses stop at around 5. What if I need to stay more? If I'm going to take a bike will it be safe to use it late in the night or early in the morning?
I know I'm probably asking silly questions but in my city we have bad lighting system so It's quite unthinkable to move only by bike.
Thank you again for your kind help!
Reply 9
Yes, i imagine you'll be safe on a bike whenever, Lincoln is a compact place from what i've heard so just about everywhere you need to go is walkable distance, the buses stop early but if you NEED transport you can always get a taxi :smile:
Inside of Lincoln your best bet is a bike. I use it every day, however my house is only 2.6 miles from the university. The bus service to Riseholme is free and every time I've used it it was on time, however spaces are limited so be there 15 minutes early (or more if you wish).
NO! DO NOT BRING A CAR! I'm going into my 2nd year now and trust me you will not need a car as almost all 1st years will live just a few minuites from their lecture/seminar rooms and you will just have to take my word for this, THERE ARE ZERO PARKING SPACES! One of my flatmates sold his car this year and another wouldnt stop moaning that her car had just been sat on a street about a mile away for months an she just had to go and check it every now and then.
Reply 12
If you're in Riseholme I dont see any harm in bringing a car, although the bus from riseholme to the main uni is free.

You wont need a car to get around lincoln if you are on the main campus, because lets face it, there is only 1 road in lincoln.

Everyone I know who has a car has it so they can go home regularly.
Reply 13
you will rarely need to stay past 5 most lecturers stop to allow for people to get the last bus anyway or if asked will finish early to allow that to happen, hardly any lectures last the full time anyway at riseholme
the only thing i think thats even gone on past 5 is yard duties and since you're not on equine sports science that isnt a problem
ditto what third lion says, people at riseholme use cars to go home and go to the shops tis it really

Latest