The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Ive grown up as an only child, but i do have two half brothers. They live with their mum, we have the same dad. We dont see each other, but we do speak now and again.

I didnt speak to my brothers until I was 16. I am my mums only child ... so really I am an only child in that sense. I'd love to have grown up with my brothers though.
Reply 21
When I was younger, I hated it.

Now I love it. :biggrin: I've never known what it's like to have a brother or sister, so there's nothing to miss or appreciate.
I'm an only child. I'm definitely not spoilt. To be honest I spoil my three kids a lot more than I was ever spoilt myself as a child. My mother doesn't believe in buying lots of things for kids - I got things like second hand books and a pack of pencils for Christmas when I was a kid.

As for whether I like being an only child - I don't care really.

The only thing that gets me is that when my parents eventually die, no one will be able to understand what I'm going through at the same time as me. Like, if you have siblings, you've ALL lost your parent, so you all have each other to lean on. I'll have nobody who can grieve with me in the same way. So I'm sure that it will feel like a very lonely kind of grief when that happens.
But, God willing, that's not for a long time yet.
Reply 23
I don't think I'm spoilt - I don't get any birthday or christmas presents and my parents only buy me something if I really need it.

I really hate being an only child though. I wish I had a sibling so I could have someone to talk to. It's not that fun being on your own a lot, as my parents are always busy so I'm left on my own. I guess that's why Im not very social as well.
Reply 24
Yes i'm an only child. When i was smaller i saw it as a negative because having no siblings meant it was often boring at home. Now i'm older i'd say that in some ways it's a positive (my mom focussed all her attention on me rather than having to share with brothers/sisters, have my own bedroom, house is quite quiet so when i need to get away from it all i don't have to worry about annoying siblings BUT on the other hand it would have been good to have a sister or brother so that we could have shared some of the bad times together, and also so that i'd have someone to give me advice-for example, i'm very worried about starting Uni and i feel that if i had a sister/brother they'd be able to tell me what their experiences were like etc.) All in all i'd say there are positives and negatives for both. My mom is one of 14 and she always tells me that i don't know how lucky i am being an only child.
Reply 25
PinkMobilePhone
I'm an only child. I'm definitely not spoilt. To be honest I spoil my three kids a lot more than I was ever spoilt myself as a child. My mother doesn't believe in buying lots of things for kids - I got things like second hand books and a pack of pencils for Christmas when I was a kid.

As for whether I like being an only child - I don't care really.
The only thing that gets me is that when my parents eventually die, no one will be able to understand what I'm going through at the same time as me. Like, if you have siblings, you've ALL lost your parent, so you all have each other to lean on. I'll have nobody who can grieve with me in the same way. So I'm sure that it will feel like a very lonely kind of grief when that happens.
But, God willing, that's not for a long time yet.

That's one of my biggest worries as well.
Reply 26
BellaBoo
Yes i'm an only child. When i was smaller i saw it as a negative because having no siblings meant it was often boring at home. Now i'm older i'd say that in some ways it's a positive (my mom focussed all her attention on me rather than having to share with brothers/sisters, have my own bedroom, house is quite quiet so when i need to get away from it all i don't have to worry about annoying siblings BUT on the other hand it would have been good to have a sister or brother so that we could have shared some of the bad times together, and also so that i'd have someone to give me advice-for example, i'm very worried about starting Uni and i feel that if i had a sister/brother they'd be able to tell me what their experiences were like etc.) All in all i'd say there are positives and negatives for both. My mom is one of 14 and she always tells me that i don't know how lucky i am being an only child.

I agree with you in that having your own room, and independance is a positive thing about being an only child. However, it can be lonley I guess, because, you can't share your experience with your siblings, and support one another.

Latest

Trending

Trending