The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by thesnowman
Its when you're earning 21k +, so even if reapplying doesn't go great in terms of career you'll have an extra 6k that doesn't get paid compared to 2011 applicants, so its not all that bad if you ask me!

So are you saying that it actually works out ok if you reapply, or that its an even worsee idea? Haha :smile:
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 181
Original post by pinggor
Go for it and reapply if you really want to go there! It sounds like your really passionate about wanting to go there :smile: yeah, i think u only start paying back when ur earning 25,000 +.. i think.

Nottingham was my top choice other than warwick until i got rejected last week. Bad times!

Oh yeah, what was the economics day like cause you went in december right.. i didnt manage to go last week because I was ill.. have no clue what Surrey is like at the moment

I miiiight, but they only offer Business Economics, but I'd rather do Economics Economics, I think you cover loads more in that haha :smile:

Ahh, were you rejected from Nottingham or Warwick? Sorry to hear about that. You've always got Surrey anyway! :biggrin:

Yeahh I went to the December one - it was about 3 hours of talks and then a campus tour. You didn't miss a lot - they had a talk about the Economics department, then one on the placement year, then one on the actual course, and I think there was another one at some point, but I was tired :redface:

The campus itself is really nice, but didn't get to see that Manor Park bit because I left early to catch a train haha, and I think that's the accommodation I'd apply for if I decided to go, the one near the sports park.
I didn't get a chance to go into Guildford itself, but my dad goes down there quite a bit because he works for AQA on the Surrey campus around exams, so I'm just going off what he says haha :smile:

Have you heard from all your universities yet?
Reply 182
Original post by i<3NY
I miiiight, but they only offer Business Economics, but I'd rather do Economics Economics, I think you cover loads more in that haha :smile:

Ahh, were you rejected from Nottingham or Warwick? Sorry to hear about that. You've always got Surrey anyway! :biggrin:

Yeahh I went to the December one - it was about 3 hours of talks and then a campus tour. You didn't miss a lot - they had a talk about the Economics department, then one on the placement year, then one on the actual course, and I think there was another one at some point, but I was tired :redface:

The campus itself is really nice, but didn't get to see that Manor Park bit because I left early to catch a train haha, and I think that's the accommodation I'd apply for if I decided to go, the one near the sports park.
I didn't get a chance to go into Guildford itself, but my dad goes down there quite a bit because he works for AQA on the Surrey campus around exams, so I'm just going off what he says haha :smile:

Have you heard from all your universities yet?

Oh wow... sounds tremendously boring actually. Yay, i <3 campus unis so much, it just appeals to me so much more than non campus unis for some reason.

ohh sorry, not being very clear. got rejected from Nottingham and I am yet to hear from Warwick.

your dad works for AQA, oooo, can he make sure i get good grades pls! hahaha jokes.
So wheres your first choice at the moment.

This is also totally irrelevant but I love NY too, went at Christmas with school and it was totally amazing! :smile:
Original post by i<3NY
So are you saying that it actually works out ok if you reapply, or that its an even worsee idea? Haha :smile:

Yeah I don't think its all that bad. Your payments are spread over up to 30 years rather than 15 - which is a downside, the fees are higher but I really doubt they'll all be 9k as everyone is assuming, but the thing is, if you don't earn much, you would end up paying less due to having 6k extra that they don't take from (Currently its amount earnt above 15k, it'll become 21k), and if you earn over 41k, you start paying extra interest on top of the inflation adjusted amount. If you end up in a top graduate job I'd say its fair to say without the degree you wouldn't have had the opportunity to earn what you do, so I don't think its all that bad that the people who benefit the most end up paying the most for it.
Reply 184
Original post by pinggor
Oh wow... sounds tremendously boring actually. Yay, i <3 campus unis so much, it just appeals to me so much more than non campus unis for some reason.

ohh sorry, not being very clear. got rejected from Nottingham and I am yet to hear from Warwick.

your dad works for AQA, oooo, can he make sure i get good grades pls! hahaha jokes.
So wheres your first choice at the moment.

This is also totally irrelevant but I love NY too, went at Christmas with school and it was totally amazing! :smile:

Haha it was alright, but not much you couldn't have found in the prospectus. They're changing the course a bit though, like with what modules you do and don't do, if you're bothered about that at all I'd say get in touch with them hah! :biggrin:

Ahh so Warwick still a possiblity? Good stuff then :smile: haha

He has another job toooo, just does some marking and books and stuff, I don't really know to be honest haha :rolleyes:

First and only choice so far is Surrey - only offer, but still got to here from Durham and Edinbrugh. Think if I'm going this year though, I'll just choice Surrey, coz I'd rather go down south than further north - I muchhhh prefer the south for some reason ahha :smile:

Ohh my god as if you got there! Hah, we'd booked to go in December, and it had worked out that I would have been in New York on my birthdayy, but then the flight got cancelled :mad: which is when I started to highly dislike the snow haha :smile: Butttt we've rebooked for Easter, so fingers crossed theres no strikes or stuff like that :biggrin:

So where are you upto with UCAS stuff now? Have you made a decision on which ones you want to go to most?
Reply 185
Yeah I don't think its all that bad. Your payments are spread over up to 30 years rather than 15 - which is a downside, the fees are higher but I really doubt they'll all be 9k as everyone is assuming, but the thing is, if you don't earn much, you would end up paying less due to having 6k extra that they don't take from (Currently its amount earnt above 15k, it'll become 21k), and if you earn over 41k, you start paying extra interest on top of the inflation adjusted amount. If you end up in a top graduate job I'd say its fair to say without the degree you wouldn't have had the opportunity to earn what you do, so I don't think its all that bad that the people who benefit the most end up paying the most for it.

Ahh I get you, it doesn't sound that bad then :smile: thanks for that, I should reallyyy be trying to get my head round all this haha :smile:

Are you applying for Economics too?
Reply 186
Original post by i<3NY
Haha it was alright, but not much you couldn't have found in the prospectus. They're changing the course a bit though, like with what modules you do and don't do, if you're bothered about that at all I'd say get in touch with them hah! :biggrin:

Ahh so Warwick still a possiblity? Good stuff then :smile: haha

He has another job toooo, just does some marking and books and stuff, I don't really know to be honest haha :rolleyes:

First and only choice so far is Surrey - only offer, but still got to here from Durham and Edinbrugh. Think if I'm going this year though, I'll just choice Surrey, coz I'd rather go down south than further north - I muchhhh prefer the south for some reason ahha :smile:

Ohh my god as if you got there! Hah, we'd booked to go in December, and it had worked out that I would have been in New York on my birthdayy, but then the flight got cancelled :mad: which is when I started to highly dislike the snow haha :smile: Butttt we've rebooked for Easter, so fingers crossed theres no strikes or stuff like that :biggrin:

So where are you upto with UCAS stuff now? Have you made a decision on which ones you want to go to most?

Im actually not too bothered about the course... i should be but im just kinda like mehhh, its got to be done. hahaha. bad attitude. eeekk

Yes, south is way better. Not being biased or anything seeing as i live in the south-west :P
Honestly, I did go NY with school at christmas, we were so lucky, left on 16th and apparently it snowed in england when we were in NY, then we left on the 23rd and a few days after it snowed loads over there so we managed to miss ALL the snow! no jokes.. though my friend stayed in NY as her parents came out they were stuck for a week longer after they planned to. Christmas sales thoughhh. By the way, You HAVE to go to tiffanys on 5th avenue! its amazingggg

UCAS... i still havent chosen, im going to southampton for an open day in half term and going to birmingham in march so hopefully that will give me more of an idea. I think Surrey will be my backup though... not too sure. Im gonna have to visit though to get a good feel for the place cause i really want a nice campus uni :smile:
Original post by i<3NY
Ahh I get you, it doesn't sound that bad then :smile: thanks for that, I should reallyyy be trying to get my head round all this haha :smile:

Are you applying for Economics too?

No probs, and yeap Economics :smile: AAB
Reply 188
No probs, and yeap Economics :smile: AAB

Good stuff :smile: so where else have you applied?
Reply 189
Original post by pinggor
Im actually not too bothered about the course... i should be but im just kinda like mehhh, its got to be done. hahaha. bad attitude. eeekk

Yes, south is way better. Not being biased or anything seeing as i live in the south-west :P
Honestly, I did go NY with school at christmas, we were so lucky, left on 16th and apparently it snowed in england when we were in NY, then we left on the 23rd and a few days after it snowed loads over there so we managed to miss ALL the snow! no jokes.. though my friend stayed in NY as her parents came out they were stuck for a week longer after they planned to. Christmas sales thoughhh. By the way, You HAVE to go to tiffanys on 5th avenue! its amazingggg

UCAS... i still havent chosen, im going to southampton for an open day in half term and going to birmingham in march so hopefully that will give me more of an idea. I think Surrey will be my backup though... not too sure. Im gonna have to visit though to get a good feel for the place cause i really want a nice campus uni :smile:

Hah i'm like that about the course too - most places have the same sort of topics reallyy :smile:

Haha I believe you about new york, we were just unlucky coz we were meant to go on the 19th haha, 3 days earlier we coulda got there! :rolleyes: and ohhmygodd tiffanys???!!! haha, that was like, my aim for the holiday! Ahha, that and bloomingdales <3 :biggrin: we were gonna be flying back on the 23rd (my birthdayy) but at the night, like half 6 or half 7 or something haha :smile:
Original post by i<3NY
Good stuff :smile: so where else have you applied?

Bristol Birmingham Bath and Nottingham, the last three rejected me, so I've firmed Bristol and insured Surrey :smile: what about you
Reply 191
Bristol Birmingham Bath and Nottingham, the last three rejected me, so I've firmed Bristol and insured Surrey :smile: what about you

Ahh good stuff, I wish my decision was madee :redface: haha

I applied to Surrey, Cambridge, UCL, Durham, Edinburgh.
UCL rejected me, Cambridge pooled me thenn rejected me, Surrey offer and stilllll not heard from Durham or Edinburgh. But would rather go down than up, and also want to be near London, so if I'm going this year will probably just firm Surrey :smile:
Original post by i<3NY
Ahh good stuff, I wish my decision was madee :redface: haha

I applied to Surrey, Cambridge, UCL, Durham, Edinburgh.
UCL rejected me, Cambridge pooled me thenn rejected me, Surrey offer and stilllll not heard from Durham or Edinburgh. But would rather go down than up, and also want to be near London, so if I'm going this year will probably just firm Surrey :smile:

Unlucky on UCL and Cambridge, I wish I was at least good enough to apply :wink: hmm you sure you'd turn down Durham or Edinburgh if it had a nice 'Conditional' next to them on UCAS? haha, what would Edinburgh ask for, and what's your Surrey offer ?
Reply 193
Unlucky on UCL and Cambridge, I wish I was at least good enough to apply :wink: hmm you sure you'd turn down Durham or Edinburgh if it had a nice 'Conditional' next to them on UCAS? haha, what would Edinburgh ask for, and what's your Surrey offer ?

Haha I went for Cambridge and UCL based on the locations, plus Cambridge have one of the best dance teams :biggrin: hah, made a total fool of myself at Cambridge interview, I didn't really suit the 'typical cambridge' image to be honest :rolleyes:

Happy with Surrey, but think I'd struggle financially now - I heard its London living prices, but without the help from the London loan, so the AAB £1000 scholarship thing would have been a big help, but if I can save some money over the next few months should be okay hopefully :smile:

Durham and Edinburgh both say AAA in prospectuses, but I think Surrey's better over them, because you get the year out to get some work experience. Durham's 3 years but no experience, which might not do as well for me when it comes to getting a job when I leave university, and Edinburgh's 4 year for an MA rather than a BA/BSc, but againnn I reckon proper experience is better than the names of big universities hah, may be wrong but oh welll :smile:

Surrey offer is ABB, should be ok to get that as long as I don't mess up in summer haha :smile:

What are your other offers like?
AB offer for maths and statistics.... Hmmm decisions, decisions....
Original post by i<3NY
I heard its London living prices, but without the help from the London loan

Kinda yes, kinda no.

Drinking in town is a higher than average but it isn't London prices by any means, but the London massive deals don't happen here either so neither of the extremes. Going to the union is still cheaper than going out elsewhere, but is again is above average for a union. Rental prices for houses are also a little more depending on where you live but the highly student occupied areas are about 340-400 per month for off campus accommodation in 2nd/Final year and between that 340-400 you get a lot of difference in the accommodation. Could be like 310 for a small 'box' room.
Original post by i<3NY
Haha I went for Cambridge and UCL based on the locations, plus Cambridge have one of the best dance teams :biggrin: hah, made a total fool of myself at Cambridge interview, I didn't really suit the 'typical cambridge' image to be honest :rolleyes:

Happy with Surrey, but think I'd struggle financially now - I heard its London living prices, but without the help from the London loan, so the AAB £1000 scholarship thing would have been a big help, but if I can save some money over t
he next few months should be okay hopefully :smile:

Durham and Edinburgh both say AAA in prospectuses, but I think Surrey's better over them, because you get the year out to get some work experience. Durham's 3 years but no experience, which might not do as well for me when it comes to getting a job when I leave university, and Edinburgh's 4 year for an MA rather than a BA/BSc, but againnn I reckon proper experience is better than the names of big universities hah, may be wrong but oh welll :smile:

Surrey offer is ABB, should be ok to get that as long as I don't mess up in summer haha :smile:

What are your other offers like?

You dance? Nice, what kind? and haha how did you come across then?
I wouldn't say it is London prices, they are still much higher, but Guildford is a good area, which is reflected in it's price, but I wouldn't worry too much :smile: I was hoping for the scholarship too!! and the 2.1k bursary which doubles for the scholarship :eek: but then they got rid.. it actually influenced my decision to apply here.

Was it you who didn't go to the open days? They said that around this year 40ish people got into placements, and competition is tough, so it's not really a given. You would have to find the placement and everything yourself, so I'm sure it'll be similar for if you go for holiday placements at the other two, which may seem less desirable but always a factor.

Wow it seems like I'm putting down Surrey here :confused: I do think Surreys course is really good though, but I'm sure considering the other two may be worth it
Reply 197
Original post by The Beaver
Kinda yes, kinda no.

Drinking in town is a higher than average but it isn't London prices by any means, but the London massive deals don't happen here either so neither of the extremes. Going to the union is still cheaper than going out elsewhere, but is again is above average for a union. Rental prices for houses are also a little more depending on where you live but the highly student occupied areas are about 340-400 per month for off campus accommodation in 2nd/Final year and between that 340-400 you get a lot of difference in the accommodation. Could be like 310 for a small 'box' room.

Thanks for that, are you there at the moment?
The drinking prices aren't a worry, coz I don't drink really haha :smile: its more for things like shopping for essentials, food shopping etc. and also private rents after the first year.
If you're there now, do part time jobs pay a bit more to compensate for the higher living prices? Up here the hourly rates are quite low compared to other places :redface:
Reply 198
You dance? Nice, what kind? and haha how did you come across then?
I wouldn't say it is London prices, they are still much higher, but Guildford is a good area, which is reflected in it's price, but I wouldn't worry too much :smile: I was hoping for the scholarship too!! and the 2.1k bursary which doubles for the scholarship :eek: but then they got rid.. it actually influenced my decision to apply here.

Was it you who didn't go to the open days? They said that around this year 40ish people got into placements, and competition is tough, so it's not really a given. You would have to find the placement and everything yourself, so I'm sure it'll be similar for if you go for holiday placements at the other two, which may seem less desirable but always a factor.

Wow it seems like I'm putting down Surrey here :confused: I do think Surreys course is really good though, but I'm sure considering the other two may be worth it

Yeahh haha, I do Latin dancing (like cha-cha, samba... strictly come dancing style :wink: ahha) Surrey have a team but don't know how serious it is. Shouldn't really be choosing universities based on their Dancesport teams but hey :biggrin:

Were you at the open day at the start of December? I don't think I heard that bit haha :redface: you've given me some stuff to think about there, thanks :smile:

The scholarship influenced me too, but only because of the London prices thing. I reckon if I could get a little job down there I'd be able to make up the money :smile:
Original post by i<3NY
Yeahh haha, I do Latin dancing (like cha-cha, samba... strictly come dancing style :wink: ahha) Surrey have a team but don't know how serious it is. Shouldn't really be choosing universities based on their Dancesport teams but hey :biggrin:

Were you at the open day at the start of December? I don't think I heard that bit haha :redface: you've given me some stuff to think about there, thanks :smile:

The scholarship influenced me too, but only because of the London prices thing. I reckon if I could get a little job down there I'd be able to make up the money :smile:

Ahh that sounds pretty cool, and nah if I had a hobby like that I'd want to go somewhere that I could continue it

And I think its because someone asked about how many apply/get on to placements, I went to the one on 2nd Februart.

Yeah I reckon I may have to get a job while I'm at uni anyway :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending