The Student Room Group

Is Computer Science for me

OKAY, JUST REALISED I TYPED TOO MUCH AND I'M PROBABLY SCARING PEOPLE OFF.

You don't have to read it all (obviously) but I'd appreciate it if you just read a section and gave some advice.

THANK YOU.

Hello there.

I've been thinking about universities and degrees over the past academic year and I've actually considered a lot of courses (economics, physics, mathematics). Right now, I'm thinking about doing Computer Science.

Okay, I've read quite a lot of the threads in this section (I've looked on uni websites and on other forums/websites too) and I still can't make up my mind!

The main reasons for me considering CS are:

- It's a respectable degree
- It's quantitative so I thought it would provide me with useful skills
- It's less competitive than Economics and Mathematics and it also has lower entry requirements from the top universities

But I'm super worried about career prospects and not being able to do it (as in I won't be enthusiastic about the degree and I may find it too much of a challenge).

Let's address the first issues... By doing Mathematics, I could probably go into finance and HOPEFULLY earn £50k a year (probably pushing it but hey-ho). Physics and Economics would lead to the same path too. But from what I can gather, CS just leads to IT jobs and despite LOVING the idea of having a desk job, I'm not sure I would be able to sort out codes, maintain websites and program...

I have heard that people with stranger degrees (like Biology or whatever) go into finance but... I kinda want to work in a good, stable job and considering my lack of extra-curriculars, I doubt I'd manage that doing CS. (SOMEONE REASSURE ME!)

So basically, I'm not sure I'm cut out for a computer job and I'm worried about not finding a good job! (I read that Computer Science pays quite a lot... in America lol).

I dunno if I'll like programming (someone here recommended a good Java tutorial and I plan on working through it tomorrow) and I heard (and I know it's true) that people without degrees can program better (and no doubt they will do better than me as I'm only just going to start).

I find that really quite... depressing? (I do understand that programming isn't the only component of CS but it seems like quite a popular career path for CS based off what the unis says).

Hm... I can't think of anything else to say right now. But I guess I just want to know if CS is worthwhile... Some people here might find it a little annoying that I'm just focused on getting a career but unfortunately, that's what I see a degree leading to (even if I did something like Physics, I would not want to be a scientist because I kinda want good pay).

Just in case it's important, my GCSE Grades are:
4A*s 7As 2Cs

And for AS Level I do:
Mathematics
Biology
Economics
Physics

Based on how well I think I did in the exam, I probably got:
Maths B
Biology A
Economics A
Physics C/D

Planning on taking Maths, Biology and Physics (unless Physics really lets me down).

Hopefully I'll get predicted an AAB so I can apply for 'top' unis like Warwick and Durham (if I chose Maths, I wouldn't be able to apply so high and also I'd feel like I'd have to take Further Maths AS which I don't know if I'm capable/want to do).

Also, would Decision Maths be useful? I heard someone say it isn't that useful.

Would you guys recommend reading any books (ideally ones I can put in my PS)?

I'm considering getting 'New Turing Omnibus' (as I've read in quite a lot of places that it's good), 'The Code Book' (I've read Fermat's Last Theorem and it was quite good), 'Algorithmics: The Spirit of Computing' (Does anyone have any opinions on this? It's quite expensive...).

Also I'd appreciate it if you had any ideas on a CS related topic I could
pick for my EPQ (Extended Project Qualification. I have to write a 5000 word essay on a subject of my choice and the topic should ideally have scope for analysis and evaluation, ie. I can make a judgement on the topic and I can draw up arguments for and against).

For EPQ, I'm currently thinking about RSA and security (Prime numbers! I recently read 'Music of the Primes') but I have NO idea where to start... and what would I possibly conclude?

Life is just WAY too confusing and I'm too tired to type more.

I would massively appreciate any input (will bribe with rep! If that means anything), and thank you for reading this.

Guess I better start watching more of the MIT lectures on CS and see if it interests me.
Reply 1
Computer science can earn you a very good wage if you get a good degree.

I know a couple of graduates that started on £30-35k and ended up on over £40k by their second year in the job market. Not too bad I'd say.

and I heard (and I know it's true) that people without degrees can program better

Many will and many won't. I'd say it's more likely that those with a degree will be better than their self-taught counterparts.

Guess I better start watching more of the MIT lectures on CS and see if it interests me.

I've never watched the MIT lectures, but the series Stanford posted up is brilliant. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkMDCCdjyW8
Reply 2
Yuck
Computer science can earn you a very good wage if you get a good degree.

I know a couple of graduates that started on £30-35k and ended up on over £40k by their second year in the job market. Not too bad I'd say.

Many will and many won't. I'd say it's more likely that those with a degree will be better than their self-taught counterparts.

I've never watched the MIT lectures, but the series Stanford posted up is brilliant. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkMDCCdjyW8

Thank you for the reply! :smile:

Just wondering, what did the graduates do? I hope CS students stand a decent chance in Finance.

Just watching a bit of the lecture now and the lecturer is much more charismatic imo.
Reply 3
They took up programming jobs with firms and universities. :smile:
Reply 4
Your not going to understand how fun java or other programming languages can be by just reading through a quick tutorial on them :wink:.
Imo - find something fun to program, like an open source project or JMonkey. Take the source code and learn from that what it does....edit and have fun. :P.

Also yes. In america, CS people earn a ********...
Reply 5
personally, when it comes to your A2 choices, I would choose your best 3 rather than dropping the one you don't like very much. I got a D in AS maths and a C in english, decided to drop english cause i found it boring. then had to drop maths cause I was failing it so it was better to take my AS grade. I don't know who said Desicion maths would not be useful, but I found that much better than statistics/mechanics regarding computing. I think decision maths is kinda the basics of computing, and I found it really easy so it was a lot easier to get a good grade in it :smile:
I chose to do Computing for the same reasons (though I also chose German to supplement it) though having done Computing at A-level, I got to get a taster of it, so I know that its "for me" - just try it out and see how you do! :smile:
Reply 6
AshleyT
Your not going to understand how fun java or other programming languages can be by just reading through a quick tutorial on them :wink:.
Imo - find something fun to program, like an open source project or JMonkey. Take the source code and learn from that what it does....edit and have fun. :P.

Also yes. In america, CS people earn a ********...

whats sort of money could someone who graduated from UCL or warwick for example make in the US? just compltetly out of curiosity and what job would they be doing.. just programming?? and very inexperienced in this field
After learning a programming language the logic is mostly mathematics for software development so I do think if you are going into programming it would be worth doing Further Math.
You should start off by going into the coding programs and doing basic functions like the all famous print hello world :p:, after some experimenting then I'd advise getting a bible on the language(s) you are coding in and read it/them over time. start small projects along the way and remember as a programmer you will be expected to know atleast 3 languages, usually 1 main like C++, 1 with universal compatibility like Java and one for extensions like Python.
If you would be looking to make engines some time down the line it would be getting your physics grade up.

I hope that you know your way around computers; if you are somewhat computer illeterate then there's your first task.
Reply 8
Uninspired
OKAY, JUST REALISED I TYPED TOO MUCH AND I'M PROBABLY SCARING PEOPLE OFF.

You don't have to read it all (obviously) but I'd appreciate it if you just read a section and gave some advice.

THANK YOU.

Hello there.

I've been thinking about universities and degrees over the past academic year and I've actually considered a lot of courses (economics, physics, mathematics). Right now, I'm thinking about doing Computer Science.

Okay, I've read quite a lot of the threads in this section (I've looked on uni websites and on other forums/websites too) and I still can't make up my mind!

The main reasons for me considering CS are:

- It's a respectable degree
- It's quantitative so I thought it would provide me with useful skills
- It's less competitive than Economics and Mathematics and it also has lower entry requirements from the top universities

But I'm super worried about career prospects and not being able to do it (as in I won't be enthusiastic about the degree and I may find it too much of a challenge).

Let's address the first issues... By doing Mathematics, I could probably go into finance and HOPEFULLY earn £50k a year (probably pushing it but hey-ho). Physics and Economics would lead to the same path too. But from what I can gather, CS just leads to IT jobs and despite LOVING the idea of having a desk job, I'm not sure I would be able to sort out codes, maintain websites and program...

I have heard that people with stranger degrees (like Biology or whatever) go into finance but... I kinda want to work in a good, stable job and considering my lack of extra-curriculars, I doubt I'd manage that doing CS. (SOMEONE REASSURE ME!)

So basically, I'm not sure I'm cut out for a computer job and I'm worried about not finding a good job! (I read that Computer Science pays quite a lot... in America lol).

I dunno if I'll like programming (someone here recommended a good Java tutorial and I plan on working through it tomorrow) and I heard (and I know it's true) that people without degrees can program better (and no doubt they will do better than me as I'm only just going to start).

I find that really quite... depressing? (I do understand that programming isn't the only component of CS but it seems like quite a popular career path for CS based off what the unis says).

Hm... I can't think of anything else to say right now. But I guess I just want to know if CS is worthwhile... Some people here might find it a little annoying that I'm just focused on getting a career but unfortunately, that's what I see a degree leading to (even if I did something like Physics, I would not want to be a scientist because I kinda want good pay).

Just in case it's important, my GCSE Grades are:
4A*s 7As 2Cs

And for AS Level I do:
Mathematics
Biology
Economics
Physics

Based on how well I think I did in the exam, I probably got:
Maths B
Biology A
Economics A
Physics C/D

Planning on taking Maths, Biology and Physics (unless Physics really lets me down).

Hopefully I'll get predicted an AAB so I can apply for 'top' unis like Warwick and Durham (if I chose Maths, I wouldn't be able to apply so high and also I'd feel like I'd have to take Further Maths AS which I don't know if I'm capable/want to do).

Also, would Decision Maths be useful? I heard someone say it isn't that useful.

Would you guys recommend reading any books (ideally ones I can put in my PS)?

I'm considering getting 'New Turing Omnibus' (as I've read in quite a lot of places that it's good), 'The Code Book' (I've read Fermat's Last Theorem and it was quite good), 'Algorithmics: The Spirit of Computing' (Does anyone have any opinions on this? It's quite expensive...).

Also I'd appreciate it if you had any ideas on a CS related topic I could
pick for my EPQ (Extended Project Qualification. I have to write a 5000 word essay on a subject of my choice and the topic should ideally have scope for analysis and evaluation, ie. I can make a judgement on the topic and I can draw up arguments for and against).

For EPQ, I'm currently thinking about RSA and security (Prime numbers! I recently read 'Music of the Primes') but I have NO idea where to start... and what would I possibly conclude?

Life is just WAY too confusing and I'm too tired to type more.

I would massively appreciate any input (will bribe with rep! If that means anything), and thank you for reading this.

wierd how similar our situations are :smile: I to am doing the AQA bacc which is like same as the EPQ taking math economics and geog similar to you and will get similar grades AABe-AAAe at AS level! dropping psychology lol

i also probably want to go into finance -IB looks very attractive

I am applying for CS for 2011 entry and have no programming experunece lol, anyway you should know a CS degree is FINE for finance and the better uni rep the more prosepects you have, hope this helps :smile:
Reply 9
Thank you all for your help. :smile: Can only rep once a day, but I'll make sure to remember and give you guys rep.

I guess I'm actually better off doing Maths, Biology and Economics. I'm not even sure if I like Physics all that much (I DO like the fact that it is supposedly one of the hardest A Levels... My tutor can't stop telling me how great it is and how much of an advantage it is to take it).

I may have time for Further Maths AS too now.

My tutor recommended a book for C++ actually and I just ordered it. He's working through it and I guess I can always ask him for help.

Fortunately, I think I'm quite good with computers.

I've heard about the AQA Bacc, it was an option for us if we did our EPQs and took General Studies (I opted for free periods instead :P).

I was thinking about IB and it seems really popular. I doubt I could manage the workload, even if the pay is awesome.

Let's hope we both get in where we want. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 10
Don;t be fooled that CS takes you to a IT related desk job, you said you would want to go into finance (banking?) something like 1/3 of CS grads go down that route they told us in the KCL open day. There really are a lot more jobs than what I originally thought it was too, you can get into pretty much anything decent, (banking, software engineering, system admin etc) with CS! go for it!
Out of the two people I know that did Computer Science at uni, two have jobs in Investment Banks (one at Bank of America, the other at Deutsche Bank). They pay around £40k first year. One went to Kings College London, the other Imperial.

Latest

Trending

Trending