The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
if somebody asked me who Beethoven and Michaelangelo were I would most certainly reply with Dog and Turtle.
Why? Because they are, and it's funny.
US university students aren't stupid, if they were US universities wouldn't be the most prestigious in the world.
Reply 21
Bloomsbury having to change the title Harry Potter and Philosopher's Stone to the Sorcerers' Stone because they wouldn't understand the word philosopher was pretty disconcerting.
i'm sure you don't know some american composers
Reply 23
A.galloway
Thats a myth,

Lets just say for arguments' sake that it is indeed a myth but it doesn't take much away from a country that is light years ahead of the rest of the world, probably apart from Japan with whom they're at par in certain fields and miles ahead in others.
To be fair, the British are probably just as bad
Reply 25
I'd say the British are probably worse.
Reply 26
But he is, if you don't specify which beethoven you get a veriety of answers.

That's like saying 'who's jessica?' 'omg your so stupid I meant jessica alba not jessica simpson - lol that means you dont know who jessica alba is!!??

Apart from anything why would not knowing who beethoven is make you stupid, if you don't care for classical music why would you. I wouldn't if it wasn't for clockwork orange tbh...
On the bus a few years ago going to college I heard two girls behind me:
> Me and my brother and sister are saving up to send my parents to Prague for their wedding anniversary
< Oh that's nice... where is Prague?
> I'm not sure
< I think it's in France
> Oh... I thought it was Russia

I have a lot of people ask me the score when I am refereeing when the game gets to 1-1.
I choose to take this list not as a snapshot of an ill-informed youth, but rather as a stern reminder to the importance of history and preservation.
So?
Reply 30
did you read the article?

it isn't really to do with them being stupid anyway (which Americans hardly have the monopoly on), more just talking about how rapidly reference points change
Bramlow
If there's one thing that annoys me about my British compatriots, it's their never-ending attempts to portray the Americans as somehow intellectually inferior to themselves.

Guess what? They really aren't. Pound for pound, there are if anything probably more dumbasses over here, and if nothing else the US's results speak for itself. In the last half-century they've got to the moon, founded the world's biggest technology companies, and made astonishing leaps in medical and biotechnology (among other things). Britain, meanwhile, has chortled at how smart it is. How hum.

Stop trying to gloat and feel superior, and start actually doing something with your lives.

The American space program was all tied up with Operation Paperclip, which recruited scientists who previously worked in Nazi Germany to work in the USA (often burying their past associations under the carpet) in order to stop their expertise from going to the USSR and the UK. In addition, captured German rockets were the starting point for technological research.
Reply 32
..but Beethoven is a dog.

It doesn't really show they are stupid does it, as was said a post or two before me, just how reference points change over time.
I can guarantee you if I asked 90% of the people who live on my street who Beethoven was, they'd give you the same answer.
That said, still funny.
Reply 34
I bloody hate that Dog... And those movies....
Reply 35
TheSownRose
The American space program was all tied up with Operation Paperclip, which recruited scientists who previously worked in Nazi Germany to work in the USA (often burying their past associations under the carpet) in order to stop their expertise from going to the USSR and the UK. In addition, captured German rockets were the starting point for technological research.

You're right. The beagle probe totally owned their efforts.

(Seriously, though, pick other examples if you want. My point is that the whole "omg Americans so dumb lol" outlook is a complete crock of crap, and I'm frankly embarrassed that so many people in this country buy into it.)
Well th US has the top institutions in the world, developing the best graduates in the world, so i fear for the rest of us.
Bramlow
You're right. The beagle probe totally owned their efforts.

(Seriously, though, pick other examples if you want. My point is that the whole "omg Americans so dumb lol" outlook is a complete crock of crap, and I'm frankly embarrassed that so many people in this country buy into it.)

Yes, because we've done absolutely nothing noteworthy in terms of space exploration. :|

I agree with your principle (and would like to see this experiment repeated on a representative sample of British students) ... but the USA owes a lot of German science and technology in their space programme.
Reply 38
Bloody younglings. Everyone knows Michelangelo's a talking turtle.
Reply 39
Music education was cut in most US schools; thus only instrument I play is the air guitar and the air drums on my steering wheel.

I learned everything about history, music and RADD air guitar playing threw this movie...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrGWooNDPiE
MOST EXCELLENT:cool:

Latest

Trending

Trending