Scroll to see replies

Sockpirate

ClaireW2708

Topaz_eyes

03jenniferp

I thought you all might find this amusing (well the video anyways) :p:
It could be lupus

'An inquiry is under way after a cat owner in Coventry captured CCTV images of a woman dumping his cat into a wheelie bin.'

What's this? I don't even...
It could be lupus

:puppyeyes: Poor cat!
Reply 383
So, I'm late as usual, but Christ's for English :smile:
can't quite believe I did it!
Sockpirate
Yeahhh, I am, but BASICALLY one of the guys (S) is driving up, and his car has 1 space in atm. He did say to his other friend (B) that he could have the space (this was before he spoke to me), but now B isn't sure if he's taking the train, or going in the car. If B takes the train, I get to go in S's car. If B's going in the car.. well I'm walking at the moment :p: but nah, I'll have to train it up or blag a lift of someone else.
B is being annoying though, and has said it'll be a last-minute decision, which is fine for him, but means that I won't have the time to beg other people I vaguely know for a space in their car, ergo costing me money because train will be the only option and I can't buy the tickets in advance so it'll be on-the-day prices :sigh:

Ah I see. Train would be an awful hassle as well :frown: do you have to carry a tent as well? If you do that is not going to be fun :no: I'm guessing you have the alcohol bought for it though? Plus, majorly jealous the lineup is soooo good! So just think, it will all be worth it :smile:

Sockpirate
Hahaaa you old fogie :lol: But surely there'll also be loads of 21st birthdays the summer after too? So really, that's a rubbish excuse! :p: You could just get a 15 day ticket if you didn't want to go for a month? My friends are only doing 10 days (because it didn't fit into the summer otherwise), but that's a "10 day, with travel on 5 days" ticket. 15 is the smallest unlimited travel ticket. Just depends how much planning you want to do really :smile: if you go for the 10 day one, everything has to be very much planned and set in stone before you go. If you do unlimited, you can just up and go whenever you get bored, or stay in a place if you love it.

*cough*child*cough* :p: well yeah this is the thing. Because of the way our school years work (july-june) all my friends from home who have bdays in the summer are going to be 21 this summer! Then the following year its all my uni friends :cool: Means hopefully lots of parties for me :p: :yep:

I really didn't know how interrailing worked. I'd prob go for 15days minimum to really make the most of it. I want to try and get around as much as possible to be honest :yep:

Sockpirate
Ooohh how did you brother do?! My bro gets his RE GCSE in the post tomorrow ahaha! I have my fingers crossed for him, but he's not feeling very optimistic at the moment I don't think... :frown:

Very well. I also predicted his grades perfectly :awesome: Good luck for your brother too!

Sockpirate
:puppyeyes: Poor cat!

Yeah even I feel sorry for it :p: joking it really is quite cruel. And yeah :tongue:uppeyes: is a dog, not a cat! :p:
Sockpirate

So it seems I'm in work tomorrow again... FML :sad:
Reply 386
I'm going to Cambridge in October, and I was just wondering if current (male) students knew whether you had to bring a gown and a formal suit?

I noticed in the paperwork for formal hall that you must wear these, and similar requirements apply for matriculation and college photos.

Where can you get gowns from? What sort of suit should it be?
Reply 387
I haven't got my paperwork yet- but is matriculation going to be formal (ie a dress for a girl)?
dd4483
I'm going to Cambridge in October, and I was just wondering if current (male) students knew whether you had to bring a gown and a formal suit?

I noticed in the paperwork for formal hall that you must wear these, and similar requirements apply for matriculation and college photos.

Where can you get gowns from? What sort of suit should it be?

Get a suit for formal and matriculation. An ordinary suit as you would wear for an interview as fine though I recommend a dark suit.

Most colleges sell their own gowns so don't buy one of those yet
I received a 'gown order form' from my college shortly before arrival, but you can also buy them once you're there. A suit is required for matriculation; most formal halls don't require one though (depends on the college).
You definitely need a suit. Your college should help with sorting gowns out.
Sockpirate
Bake cakes
Sell cakes
???
PROFIT!!!

...and by profit I mean go skiing :lol:

Failing that... you've got over a year to save! That, along with May Balls, are what my savings for the foreseeable future are going towards :yep:

Aah Izzy, definite plan!

ClaireW2708
Can I come too? :unsure:

It does look pretty awesome :smile:

Yay Claire!! Of courseeeee :woo:

It could be lupus

Awww poor kitty :frown:
clarehistory101
A couple, yes... A friend called Sophie going to Cambridge though, nope.

I thought you probably did. Either that or there's two girls in Lowestoft going to do politics at Cambridge - bit of a long shot :p: . One of your Sophie friends' mum works with my mum in Beccles, they're good friends (if I'm right).

Did you get in through the summer pool?

Sorry if I'm wrong, just - kinda interesting. I think, scarily, I know who you are - lol. If I'm right, you got ABB, panicked a bit about clearing, then got in through the summer pool due to a really strong interview. Your friend sophie is still having trouble getting her place/accommodation wherever she wanted to go (I'm not sure which my mum said now).

If I'm wrong, then there is a second girl in Lowestoft going to Cambridge to do politics, and I'm very embarrassed! :confused:

You two should meet up :biggrin:
There are also some photos online: a very quick search shows up Selwyn and Downing, which are fairly representative of any college:
http://www.sel.cam.ac.uk/photo-album/photo9232.html
http://www.dow.cam.ac.uk/dow_server/events/MatGrad.html

If your college doesn't sell gowns, you can get them from Ryder and Amies, but otherwise it's probably easier and cheaper to get them from your college. A black suit would probably be best, but it doesn't matter that much.
Try checking online on things like Gumtree and Ebay, I found my gown from an alumnus on Gumtree who only wanted £10 for it. Otherwise you'll be paying £40ish I think...
Reply 395
I'm sort of slow in joining the thread since I've had the place for a year already. And probably because I've been working pretty much every night for the last week.

Anyway I'm going to be at Christ's for history. Will have to wait and see how rusty my English is, after not using it regularly for a year.
It could be lupus
Get a suit for formal and matriculation. An ordinary suit as you would wear for an interview as fine though I recommend a dark suit.

Most colleges sell their own gowns so don't buy one of those yet

I might've asked this elsewhere (although not of you), but what kind of thing do girls tend to wear for formals? My sister's desperate to take me dress shopping, but I'm not so keen. :sigh:

Thanks. :smile:

Also, OP, it's worth noting that wherever you buy your gown, it needs to be the design approved by your college - each college has a different one. I'm not sure everyone's aware of that... :ninja:
Reply 397
Jesus College for Maths! See everyone in October :smile:
Reply 398
Sockpirate
Oh yes, I know, but as far as ski trips go, it's not exactly expensive :biggrin: coupled with the fact I wouldn't need to buy equipment, never have lessons, and don't spend that much on food, I think it'd be fairly cheap still, even with ski + boot hire :smile:

This is basically how my logic regarding the cost is running at the moment too :smile:

Reading all of this is stuff about may balls, trips and cam in general is getting me a little excited :woo:

Anyone know when "geek week" is meant to start?
Reply 399
03jenniferp
Thought I may as well get here first and say congratz everyone!!!
:biggrin:

I'll get the ball rolling, I'm going to be at John's (yes I know :p: ) doing History!

So what was your reaction? When my results loaded online I saw my History A* and ran into my parents bedroom, chucked my laptop on their bed (probably not the best plan) and squealed... :biggrin: What can I say? I was happy!

I'm up to date with the list so far I think for people who've posted in here so from now on if you want to go on, make it a little bit easier for me by quoting me :biggrin:

SEE YOU IN OCTOBER! :ahee:

If anyone else wants to pop onto the mass skype convo to have a look around, just add "wickitjen" (without the quote marks obviously) and i'll add you to the main convo :smile:

OFFER LIST:

Spoiler

Hey everyone,
am doing Law at Robinson :smile:

still not really sure how I managed to pull off the whole thing (getting into cambridge)

Latest

Trending

Trending