The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1160
ClaireW2708
Saturday. But I have to get most stuff at least vaguely sorted by Thursday because that's my mum's day off, and she can go shopping with me for anything I don't have. The current most major missing thing is a corkscrew :p:
ave either
Oh and Izzy - there's loads of stuff I don't have too. I'm just trying to figure out what I do have and how I'm going to get it into the car :biggrin:

Aw, that sucks :frown: Bit evil to set you work before you're even there!

Yeah...I've been wondering if they particularly singled me out for an essay because my grades make it obvious that I'm not good at them...:confused:
I've had a month to do it though. Procrastination sucks!
Reply 1161
alex_hk90
At our college it's near-instantaneous - they give you the passwords and instructions when you arrive. :smile:

Oky dokes, thanks a lot alex_hk90 :smile: I hope it'll be sorted out quick then!

I had another question, unrelated to the aforementioned subject though, I'm going to attend the international fresher's dinner organised by iCUSU, however I also want to go to a college event (ice-breaking games etc.) which starts a little after the dinner takes place. Is it really rude to get up and say: "have to attend a cool-sounding college event?" once at an event do we have to stay (especially if it's a dinner) til the time indicated?
Thanks! I just want to avoid awkwardness! :biggrin:
Cla
I had another question, unrelated to the aforementioned subject though, I'm going to attend the international fresher's dinner organised by iCUSU, however I also want to go to a college event (ice-breaking games etc.) which starts a little after the dinner takes place. Is it really rude to get up and say: "have to attend a cool-sounding college event?" once at an event do we have to stay (especially if it's a dinner) til the time indicated?
Thanks! I just want to avoid awkwardness! :biggrin:

You can do whatever you want, and once you're at Cambridge it'll be quite common to have to leave one thing half-way through to attend another. Whether or not it's rude is kind of irrelevant. If it was me I would do it. :yep:
Sapientia
Am I right in thinking our first bop at Queens' is 'Back to School' on the Friday?

I believe so. What do we do? Shirt, trousers, tie? I got rid of my uniform - Not that it would fit if I kept it. Though apparently, Bops are for gathering random things and putting them together...
Reply 1164
alex_hk90
You can do whatever you want, and once you're at Cambridge it'll be quite common to have to leave one thing half-way through to attend another. Whether or not it's rude is kind of irrelevant. If it was me I would do it. :yep:

Okay thanks :smile: Sorry, I do think manners are relevant, if you're at a dinner with not that many people (probably around 30) and you're getting to know some of them and you just say: right well I'm off to do something more fun, I doubt it's really a great way of making friends. Having said that, I'm glad I can get up and leave :p: I'm going to do it, as you would haha:cool:
Cla
Okay thanks :smile: Sorry, I do think manners are relevant, if you're at a dinner with not that many people (probably around 30) and you're getting to know some of them and you just say: right well I'm off to do something more fun, I doubt it's really a great way of making friends. Having said that, I'm glad I can get up and leave :p: I'm going to do it, as you would haha:cool:

Oh I agree that manners are important, but it'll be kind of an accepted rudeness to leave because you're busy, because once you get into it here you will be busy.
Cla

Just tell them your spidey senses are tingling. They'll understand.

Question: Can I take an alarm clock? Seems a silly question, but apparently the walls are really thin. Normally I wouldn't care, but I'd rather wait at least a month before getting egged. (Though eggs cost money and students can't afford to waste money/eggs...)
Tomato_Soup1992
Question: Can I take an alarm clock? Seems a silly question, but apparently the walls are really thin. Normally I wouldn't care, but I'd rather wait at least a month before getting egged. (Though eggs cost money and students can't afford to waste money/eggs...)

Yes, you can. And unless it's abnormally loud I can't see it being a problem. I've used one for the last two years without any complaints.
Tomato_Soup1992
I believe so. What do we do? Shirt, trousers, tie? I got rid of my uniform - Not that it would fit if I kept it. Though apparently, Bops are for gathering random things and putting them together...

Guessing just an old school shirt (untucked), trousers, a loose tie, a hat or some crap... You know, the "Hello I'm a mischievous student' look.

What size are you shirt-wise? If you've thrown all yours away, I have shirts you could borrow, actually you can have them. :smile:
Sapientia
Guessing just an old school shirt (untucked), trousers, a loose tie, a hat or some crap... You know, the "Hello I'm a mischievous student' look.

What size are you shirt-wise? If you've thrown all yours away, I have shirts you could borrow, actually you can have them. :smile:

I've got a few shirts - It's fine. Why a hat? XD
Tomato_Soup1992
I've got a few shirts - It's fine. Why a hat? XD

... Well, I was thinking something like this:

:yes: :p:
Sapientia
... Well, I was thinking something like this:

:yes: :p:

Do want! I really want a giant lollipop too!
Though, what I really really want is a bubble pipe so that I may pose deep philosophical questions in otherwise awkwardly silent conversations. It has comedy gold written all over it!
Tomato_Soup1992
Do want! I really want a giant lollipop too!
Though, what I really really want is a bubble pipe so that I may pose deep philosophical questions in otherwise awkwardly silent conversations. It has comedy gold written all over it!

Do it! I'll get one too and we can be like a comedy double-act. .. Right? :yes:

What time do you think you're getting there on Saturday?

Hey, PM me the names of your parents. Maybe by some stroke of coincidence we have the same. I've already found two of my siblings!
Sapientia

Hey, PM me the names of your parents. Maybe by some stroke of coincidence we have the same. I've already found two of my siblings!

Actually, two of the Johnians on the skype group turned out to be college siblings... so it could happen :p:

(although one of them isn't on TSR!)
Topaz_eyes
Actually, two of the Johnians on the skype group turned out to be college siblings... so it could happen :p:

(although one of them isn't on TSR!)

:biggrin: I'm all excited now. AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Sapientia

XD Yes.

I live 4 hours away if busy so I have to leave at 6 to get there for 10 -_-.

If not, I'm still just 2 floors above you. We could get a string to connect our windows and talk via the cans XD.

EDIT: Just got your message. Now we can argue over whose dad could beat up who. :awesome:
(edited 13 years ago)
Tomato_Soup1992
XD Yes.

I live 4 hours away if busy so I have to leave at 6 to get there for 10 -_-.

If not, I'm still just 2 floors above you. We could get a string to connect our windows and talk via the cans XD.

EDIT: Just got your message. Now we can argue over whose dad could beat up who. :awesome:

Oh dear, long journey is long. Fortunately mine should be an hour and a half tops.

And yes! Screw the inter-college phonelines. Though that is, presuming you're also facing inwards, to the court? If so, I'll make sure I have some spare bean cans and some string so we can devolve communications.
Sapientia
Oh dear, long journey is long. Fortunately mine should be an hour and a half tops.

And yes! Screw the inter-college phonelines. Though that is, presuming you're also facing inwards, to the court? If so, I'll make sure I have some spare bean cans and some string so we can devolve communications.

Yep.
XD Though somebody on the 2nd floor would probably
[Puts on shades]
... 'cut the line'...
YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAH
:awesome:
(edited 13 years ago)
Tomato_Soup1992
Yep.
XD Though somebody on the 2nd floor would probably
[Puts on shades]
... 'cut the line'...
YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAH
:awesome:

Too cool. :cool:

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH I'm so pumped.
Hey everyone. If you haven't seen it, I have started a thread about making video introductions for upcoming freshers. Check it out (and join in if you want to!)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1421420

Latest

Trending

Trending