The Student Room Group

A-level choices for medicine/dentistry

hi,

So basically I wanted to know whether bio,chem,socio and geography are a good mix at A-levels if I wanted to do medicine or dentistry at top universities.

physics isnt necessary right? will it affect my chances at top uni's?And exactly how hard is physics? can i do it privately?

sorry for so many questions and thanks for answering them :biggrin:
Reply 1
No Physics is not required anywhere I don't think! Your A-level choices are good and you desperately need as much work experience as you can (Hospital placements, nursing homes, hostels, charities) that is essential! Do as many out of school things as you can like sports clubs, music, drama stuff that shows comitment and so on! Good Luck, PM me if you want to know anything else!
Reply 2
Biology and Chemistry are needed pretty much, the other two are up to you, although I'd suggest Maths or Physics to increase your chances of getting into a good uni providing you do good at them.
Reply 3
The choices sound good to me. Personally, I found physics really hard (just did my AS). It was probably one of the most interesting subjects I did though and there were a few in my class that flew through it, I recommend having a look through some physics AS books to give you an idea and have a look at a past paper online. Maybe it will help?
No, physics isn't neccessary although some unis like another science subject at AS but you could always do maths or psychology which are a lot easier compared to physics (again for me don't know how other people find it). Have a look at medicine online on a university website, they should have all the details.
good luck :smile:
hey thanks everyone! anybody got anything else to add?

Latest