The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Racism at King's College London

Hello :ninja: I was browing through FB and came across:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Virginia-JibowuKings-College-London/105946656125440

and it says 'Support Virginia and other students who're challenging the racism within Kings College London.'

I came across it by searching for 'King's College London' - related posts come up and someone has posted a link to the above page - comments include things like:

'I attended the Uni of Lomdon as well, faced the same type of thing. My solicitor and i kicked their ass!! don't know if my experience can be of help? let me know....' - and - 'I would like to express my sincere gratitude to Lee Jasper for his support. This battle is not just for Virginia but for other students who have been cheated by a racist institution.'

So basically - from anyone's own experience - how racist is KCL? Is it at all? I would really like to know seeing as I'm going there in September :frown:

Thanks!

EDIT: I am aware that the link is in regards to 'the School of Medicine' - but I think if such racism is evident in one faculty then surely it is just as likely to be more widespread if it does exist so much.

EDIT II: Ok I'm just going to copy and paste what is written in the info section of the FB page into a spoiler - there is quite a bit:

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What exactly happened to Virginia that was racist?
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Ok I find some of this a bit suspect, her being set up for failure for example. However some of it seems genuine I don't know the whole thing seems very very odd.
Reply 3
kzimmer
What exactly happened to Virginia that was racist?

If you go to the 'info' section of the page it will tell you - I'm not being rude, sorry! It's just there's so much written there!
Reply 4
Aj12
What sort of racism is this? The kind where lectures have been calling black students N*ggars or people feeling hard done by for not getting in? Some examples would be nice

I've pasted what was written on the page into a spoiler in the first post.
Reply 5
Thanks...I just can't access FB at work. Interesting though, I hope it's not racist there!
Reply 6
Aj12
Ok I find some of this a bit suspect, her being set up for failure for example. However some of it seems genuine I don't know the whole thing seems very very odd.

Hmm I'm really not sure :frown: I found it as a link posted by someone - and people have commented on that person's link saying the things I've posted/pasted above :o: e.g 'I attended the Uni of Lomdon as well, faced the same type of thing'
This sort of thing is actually possible at universities.

But I would have thought that KCL was very diverse and quite open? :confused:
Reply 8
kzimmer
Thanks...I just can't access FB at work. Interesting though, I hope it's not racist there!

Oh okay, I posted it into the original post anyway. :smile:
Beat Racism
Reply 10
I saw this in the newspapers a while ago.
It's a shame, but I guess you get racism everywhere...
Although I did think that Kings college was quite multicultural. All the people that I know that are going to Kings are from ethnic backgrounds...
Reply 11
I read through what happened and if it's true then it's a massive conspiracy. I'm not 100% sure though tbh, she might have just failed and wanted to kick up a fuss to get another shot. I don't know the girl, so can't really make a 100% analysis. But if it is actually true - poor girl, hope she gets another go at the exam.
Reply 12
There was a report and an investigation into this in the London Student paper earlier this year, I think. Most of my friends found it shocking; I'm considered ethnic minority and the only one (of that minority) in my year, and I certainly didn't feel unwelcome there. In fact, it's one of the friendliest places I've ever been.
Reply 13
KCL has this reputation
Reply 14
mel0n

I am aware that the link is in regards to 'the School of Medicine' - but I think if such racism is evident in one faculty then surely it is just as likely to be more widespread if it does exist so much.

Thats rubbish, so because a couple of people in the medicine school were racist, suddenly you're acussing the whole university of being so? Over 40% of the student population is from an ethnic minority, why would so many choose Kings if it was so racist?
Reply 15
Joluk
Thats rubbish, so because a couple of people in the medicine school were racist, suddenly you're acussing the whole university of being so? Over 40% of the student population is from an ethnic minority, why would so many choose Kings if it was so racist?

I'm not ACCUSING - I'm speculating and presuming sort of - which is maybe wrong but in such a situation I'd rather be sure :| and if you read carefully I said 'IF IT DOES EXIST' :colonhash: i.e I'm not sure if it even exists in the first place hence the reason of this thread!!! I know there are loads of ethnics at KCL, I'm not denying that, and yes I suppose you're right that so many wouldn't choose it if it was racist - but then why do such cases like this one exist? (IF it is wholly true).
Seems to have more to do with nepotism rather than racism, and wider resentment of perceived positive discrimination.

The only actual racism I saw in the description was an alleged comment by one person.
Reply 17
Diaz89
KCL has this reputation

How reassuring :colonhash:
http://nhsexposedblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/international-backing-for-brave.html

- read the article, and then read the comments.

I think the comments give us 2 sides to the story!

xxx
God.

And I was thinking of applying there.

Should I?

Quick Reply

Latest