The Student Room Group

Prime or composite?

Is the number 258+15\displaystyle \frac{2^{58} + 1}{5} prime or composite?

[Ripped from the Oxford Maths Institute puzzle of the day, so one would assume 5 is a factor of the numerator. I am genuinely interested in how others might go about solving this... I am having some trouble.]

EDIT: For completeness http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/noticeboard/last_puzzle
You know you're a virgin when you attempt the Oxford Mathematics puzzle of the day...
Reply 2
UCASquestions
You know you're a virgin when you attempt the Oxford Mathematics puzzle of the day...

Well, I know of it because I work at the Oxford Centre For Nonlinear PDE (and I got laid [twice] this morning, not that it matters :p:).
Dream Eater
Well, I know of it because I work at the Oxford Centre For Nonlinear PDE (and I got laid [twice] this morning, not that it matters :p:).

:rofl:, too much info. :rofl2:
Dream Eater

[Ripped from the Oxford Maths Institute puzzle of the day, so one would assume 5 is a factor of the numerator. I am genuinely interested in how others might go about solving this... I am having some trouble.]

My first thoughts are:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Not sure if this is going anywhere! :smile:
And yeah too much info there :smile:
composite.

mini hint

Spoiler

massive hint

Spoiler

Reply 6
Dream Eater

258+122+10(mod5)2^{58} + 1 \equiv 2^2 + 1 \equiv 0 \pmod 5, so the numerator is indeed divisible by 5. Alternatively, note that x58+1=(x2+1)(x56x54++1)x^{58} + 1 = (x^2 + 1)(x^{56} - x^{54} + \cdots + 1).

Beyond that, I have no idea.
Dream Eater

was it good sex though? that's what we all want to know.
Totally Tom

:rofl:, aahhaahahahha. :rofl3:
Reply 9
Totally Tom
massive hint
258+1=(229+1)22302^{58}+1=(2^{29}+1)^2-2^{30} now think difference of 2 squares...

Yay! I thought it involved Fermat's Factorisation method but I couldn't think of where to apply it. Cheers :smile:
Reply 10
Totally Tom

Bloody fantastic. Had tea afterwards and everything.
Dream Eater
Bloody fantastic. Had tea afterwards and everything.

:hi5:
Dream Eater
Yay! I thought it involved Fermat's Factorisation method but I couldn't think of where to apply it. Cheers :smile:

try this one:

is 376+45\displaystyle\frac{3^{76}+4}{5} prime or composite?

using a different method to before (unfortunately the other method works here too).
Reply 13
Totally Tom
try this one:

is \displaystyle\frac{3^{76}+4}{5} prime or composite?

using a different method to before (unfortunately the other method works here too).

Ah yes, I can do this. This is actually how I tried to initially tackle the first one. Using modulo arithmetic one can check that:

313mod253^1 \: \equiv \: 3 \mod 25
329mod253^2 \: \equiv \: 9 \mod 25
332mod253^3 \: \equiv \: 2 \mod 25

3201mod253^{20} \: \equiv \: 1 \mod 25
3213mod253^{21} \: \equiv \: 3 \mod 25

with 3^21 being the first 'cycle' back to 3 mod 25. So this cycle repeats itself every 20 powers. Hence, using the fact that 76 = 16 mod 20:

376316mod2521mod253^{76} \: \equiv \: 3^{16} \mod 25 \: \equiv \: 21 \mod 25

But 21 mod 25 + 4 = 0 mod 25. Hence 376+43^{76} + 4 is divisible by 25. Hence the original expression is divisible by a further 5. Thus it is not prime.

Latest